Air Drain Blaster

I found this “air drain blaster” for $16.48 at Drill Spot this weekend.  It essentially replaces the (not so) good ‘ole plunger by directing a blast of air down the drain.  It ships with four differently-sized drain attachments — one of which will hopefully fit your drain.

Air Drain Blaster [Drill Spot]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]

6 Responses to Dealmonger: Air Drain Blaster For $16.48

1. Leslie says:

Did you buy it and try it? I’ve seen those things, but wasn’t sure if they really worked.

2. William says:

I am very curious. I think it would work with toilets, but I don’t know about sinks and tubs. Most sinks and tubs a filled with hair and gunk not a very solid mass to be “blasted”. I would be a little worried the pressure could blow some old corroded pipes apart.

I would love to hear from someone with first hand knowledge.

3. Kurt Schwind says:

I’m with these folks. Does it work? I’d really have to hear from someone who has used it or something. I’m not a fan of ‘ye olde plunger’, but it does function.

Also, has someone tried attaching an air compressor directly to those drain attachments? Now THAT might be interesting.

4. false_cause says:

The Gallo Gun works well for clearing out clogs in HVAC condensate drain lines, but it can be finicky about sealing up at the pan. You’ll sometimes have to jam rags around the thing to get a seal. I’m betting you’re going to have similar problems with this contraption, and the last thing you need is to have a poor seal at the bottom of a clogged toilet. It would be like a volcanic eruption of disgusting.

(The Gallo Gun is by DiversiTech, but that retail page was the only one I could find that properly conveys the tool without being a PDF. I am not affiliated with either business.

5. Bowen says:

The maintainence guys at my former (as of yesterday) apartment used these a couple of years back, but they aren’t allowed to now.

Apparently the sub-par joining on the plumbing there is prone to pop apart (cheap, cheap PVC stuff, all of it poorly assembled) and dump a nasty mess inside the walls if you use a decent blast of air.

Be warned, if you aren’t sure how tight your pipes are, you might want to stick with a plunger and elbow grease.

6. Mike says:

These are famous in my wife’s family after the winter my father in law used on on the kitchen sink at their house in Michigan. The clog took the path of least resistance, which happened to be up the vent pipe and onto the roof. In December. In Michigan. They had spaghetticicles hanging off the gutters until the spring thaw.