post-hitachicircsaw.jpg

Hitachi’s press release on the their new 7-1/4″ “pro-grade” circular saw touts the inclusion of “patented Internal Double Insulation (IDI) technology” which they claim reduces vibration and wear to estend the saw’s life by 200%.  The core of IDI is a process that intertwines the saw’s aluminum housing with an injection-molded inner nylon core — but most Toolmongers will stop after reading “aluminum housing.”  All-metal housings are all too rare now-a-days.

Other features: a 1,710-watt motor spining a no-load speed of 5,800 RPM, an electric brake, and a zero to 55-degree bevel capacity with a positive stop at 45-degrees.  The base is aluminum to reduce weight, but the C7BMR is no lightweight, weighing in at 10-1/2 pounds.

When it hits shelves in the next few months, it’ll retail for around $130 and will ship with a box wrench and a 24-tooth carbide blade.

9 Responses to Preview: Hitachi’s “Pro-Grade” 7-1/4″ Circular Saw

1. l_bilyk says:

Look like a good saw, but i think toolmongers will agree that the milwaukee 6390 is the best circular saw on the market, and that is not likely to change any time soon.

2. Chris Ball says:

Bah, bosch 1677M… I likes worms. Of course the milwaukee is round about half the price.

3. Steve Thompson says:

I’m in the market. Does it come with the blade on the left?

4. Jim says:

Hmm… it’d be hard for me to give up my Milwaukee 6390. I really love that thing, it’s been serving me really well. I do like the thought of an all-metal casing though. Perhaps if I was in the market again I’d look at this, but then again with my good luck with the 6390 why would I look elsewhere?

5. l_bilyk says:

What does metal casing mean though? the whole thing is metal?

6. Chris Ball says:

Steve,
    I’m not sure if you are referring to the bosch saw or the milwaukee, the bosch does indeed have the blade on the left. I also overstated how expensive it was yesterday, I bought mine in $CDN and when I quickly looked at the Milwaukee I forgot that the amazon price was USD.

Random trivia: Bosch bought skill a while back and shortly thereafter bosch had a couple of models of worm drive saw that show a clear lineage back to the HD77.

7. BJN says:

Gawd I hate this “tranformers” styling. Makita and Hitachi are in a race to design the most cartoony tools in the galaxy.

8. Teacher says:

I like Hitachi tools and have several, but I also hate how their power tools are starting to look more and more like the latest basketball shoes.

I have a Craftsman circular saw I nought almost 15 years ago that is still doing A+ work for me. When it gives up the ghost, I’ll be looking at a PC left blade.

9. Jonatha' says:

I have this saw, the case is all metal, other than the handle. It is solid, the depth adjustment is slick, and the IDI noise/vibration reduction is apparent. The only thing I really don’t like about it is the visibility. I’ve grown accustomed to my Makita 5740’s small housing and great visibility without having to look over the tool. However, this monster has a lot more power than the 10.5 amp 4700rpm Makita. The base is great for sliding down a straightedge though!