post-finecut.jpg

When a job is too detailed for a recip saw and the wrong shape for your jigsaw, you’re not always out of luck.  Bosch’s Finecut power handsaw (at least partially) fills the gap.  Its variable-speed motor oscillates the attached sawblade between 2,000 and 2,800 RPM to make fine and/or flush cuts in wood or plastics.

An internal counterbalance damps vibrations, and the blades mount — tool free — on either the right or left side of the tool for good visibility.

I’ve never used one of these, but from Bosch I get the idea that this tool would essentially handle much of the “rougher” work that you’d normally attack with a fine-tooth hand saw.  They say it’s good for flush-cutting doorjambs, shims, and such, and for trimming flooring and PVC drainpipe — though I’d guess I could handle most PVC with my recip.

Street pricing for the saw itself starts around $105, though it’s also available in kit form starting at around $180.  (The kit isn’t just a case; it includes a small miter table, both blades, and some clamps.  It’s worth a look.)

The Finecut Power Handsaw [Bosch]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

6 Responses to Make Precision Cuts With Bosch’s Finecut Power Handsaw

1. l_bilyk says:

I think this is the one bad tool bosch makes.

2. Chuck Cage says:

l_bilyk: You’ve tried it? Let us in on the secret!

3. Steve Thompson says:

I really can’t see where I’d use this over a Japanese pull saw. Seems like putting a motor on something that never needed one in the first place.

4. Joe says:

I got one of these many years ago. I pull it out every now and then hoping that it will be as good as I expected it to be. I always put it back in the case 15 minutes later, frustrated and disappointed.

The only time I’ve found it effective is as a door jamb saw. Everything else it claims to do, it does poorly. The blade flexes too much for the miter guide to be accurate. The saw doesn’t have enough power to cut through anything bigger than a piece of trim.

Definitely the worst tool Bosch makes.

5. dbett says:

Is it able to cut copper pipe? If so, it would be useful when you need to cut out a valve and want the cuts flush to the valve so the replacement will fit in without having to repipe.

6. tex says:

I have one of these, works well for me. I’ve used it to flush cut 2×4’s as well as tongue and groove flooring while remodelling. Complements my Fein MultiMaster tool which has it’s own good uses.