grabber.jpg

The Joist Jaw is a solid steel crossmember that clamps to a joist and creates a metal “lip” to hold it in place while you work.  Think of it as the “second man” you wish you could afford to help you with the framing job.

Besides just holding it in place, the Jaw also levels the crossmember with the rimjoist or ledger.  Three small studs on the inside of the channel bite into the wood while the cup on the end of the vise-like screw clamps down on the beam with a few twists of a handle.

One sad note: they’re a bit expensive.  At $50 a pair, you might be better off just calling a friend and promising him beer after the project.  Of course, the Jaw is probably more reliable — especially if you have a lot of framing work on your schedule.

Joist Jaw [Grabberman]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]

6 Responses to Line Up Joists The Easy Way

1. Mel E. says:

A solution looking for a problem. Your joist will already be sitting on the plate on the foundation or the top plate of the wall below. I really don’t see how this makes the job on joist setting easier. Besides, in a application where I see this might help you would usually use a permanent joist hanger for support anyway.

2. Brau says:

I have to agree with Mel. Joist hangers would be preferable for many reasons, even a piece of scrap and a screw could do what this does.

3. Phillip says:

I like joist hangers also, but when there’s some application problem for which this won’t easily work, I simply use a Quick-Grip clamp and a short piece of 1x or plywood to locate with. Works perfect, is already paid for is very quick to utilize without chasing another tool from the truck.
    However, if I happened to see one in the clearance bin while visiting Lowe’s I’d probably try one.

4. Rich says:

Well, Mel. E and Brau.

I seems you realls do not know what you are talking about. How many times are there plates or foundation walls below a deck. How about never!!
    -part two-
    If you install the hanger first the top line of the joists will not sit even with the ledger. (you do know what a ledger is don’t you) because all 2x’s are not created equal.

a little free education, quality and speed at the same time.

5. Rich says:

I bought a pair of these and they are the best timesaver you can ask for. Rafters too. alot safer and faster than the old nail and screw trick. Nails never held it flush on top anyway.

6. Jim says:

Using this tool even allows me to set a joist and hold a frosty at the same time. I bought 6 – we set three joists at once, then do the hangers, paid for themselves on the first job. Went back for 2 more pair, and they were sold out!
    The price, who cares as long as I get more done.
    Why didn’t I think of this?