hot-or-not1.jpg
post-attache.jpg

Attache-style tool cases always look so sweet in pictures — all the tools have a place, and they’re very compact — but I’ve never been able to make one work for my personal uses.  I can’t help but wonder, though, if that’s just because my purposes don’t align well with this type of storage.

Do any of you have experience with attache-style tool cases?  If so, share!  Are there purposes out there that call for these, or are they just a pipe dream?  Let us know in comments.

15 Responses to Hot or Not? Attache Tool Cases

1. Steve Thompson says:

I used to work in electronics and had a complete Xcelite kit in a custom case. It was awesome…for about 3 jobs. Then I either would have to add a tool, or replace something…and it all became a mess. I ended up having to ditch the case for something more flexible.

But if you’re OCD and like to do little more than open your tool case everyday to count your screwdriver collection and know that none are missing – the attache is for you. It wasn’t for me.

2. Kevin says:

I used them for years in copier repair. But over the years I too would eventually figure out the few tools that I always used and put those tools in a small tankers bag to avoid having to carry the heavy briefcase.

3. Kurt Schwind says:

Hot. Some of us have small shops. I like these cases because I can store them on shelves. I have a few shelves full of cases like this. Each case holds a LOT of tools and each tool has a place. Maybe if I had a larger shop and could use rolling tool chests or something else, I’d pitch them, but until then, this is the most efficient use of space.

4. Tom says:

I’m with Kevin and Steve here. 90% of the time you know going into something the tools you will need. Having something like this as backup in a car/truck/van is fine, but overkill when all you need is an adjustable wrench and a multi bit screwdriver.

5. jeff says:

No way: OCD is a required personal trait if you’re gonna try and use one. We shared a tool case between a half dozen folks. it was decimated in days. (granted, any tool sharing between different people is difficult, but that damn box added to the frustrations)

6. Chris says:

Not a fan of these. I use a heavy doctor’s bag-type mini-duffel for most of my screwdrivers and such and keep my sockets and wrenches in the case they came in.

Cases like this have their place, I suppose, but not in my shop.

7. Mel E. says:

Hot if you need a lot and need to know if you left them behind. I have a tool daypack I use that I always keep in my truck, but usually grab what I need and put in a pouch. It is nice to be able to grab and go with everything if the need arises.

8. Hank says:

I always wanted one of these growing up; until I really started working with tools.

I agree with all the comments. I too have tried one (actually still have it in my truck, but only used it once). I also carry tools in my truck that I know I will need if something happens to the truck.

I am of the group that likes to select my own tools. I really do not like packaging of tools like this, because it is overkill, and underkill at the same time. Seems cheaper to buy the tools you want, put them in whatever seems to work for you, without the packaging premium. Sorta like buying a ready-made first aid kit. Cheaper and wiser most times to make your own.

9. There’s a particular style of case that’s very traditional in certain parts of the telecommunications industry. It’s a little thicker than the one pictured here, with metal-reinforced square corners, and a single fold-down pallet separating the upper pocket section from the lower bulk sections. At a previous job, I spent part of my tool allowance on one, and it remains one of my favorite tool-related purchases.

The rigid sides made me resist the “just one more tool” temptation — it would only bulge so much before the latches wouldn’t engage. So I established a secondary “seldom-used bulky crap” bag, which remained in the car most of the time. This habit has served me well, no matter what form my primary tool box/bag takes.

Telecom work is characterized in part by extremes. In the morning, you’ll be drilling anchors into a concrete floor, cutting 5/8″ threaded rod, and torquing 1 1/16″ nuts to assemble the superstructure. After lunch, it’s time to mount the equipment with oodles of #3 Phillips screws, then cable it up with tiny screws, wire-wrap connections, and fiber connectors.

With most toolbags, keeping my big Crescent wrenches from crushing my spudger and unwrapper is a challenge, to say nothing of the fragile GMT and 70-type fuses we carry. But with the rigid case, the small stuff stays completely separate from the heavy stuff, and it’s not an issue.

Did I ever fill every pocket on the upper pallet? No, but I did get used to the appearance when loaded, so it was easy to see when I’d left something behind.

Also, I liked having a case that would close completely. Most toolbags zip up, but their outside pouches are still vulnerable to snagging, crushing, and dumping during transport. The case offered protection as well as organization.

10. Aha, found the exact case, here: http://tmt.stores.yahoo.net/utcason.html

Mine didn’t come with the removable pallet, it was just the fold-down one. The picture also doesn’t show the longitudinal divider that splits the bottom section in half.

11. eschoendorff says:

I’m with Chris here. I like to use the heavy tool bags from my deceased cordless tool kits…..

12. DeWitt says:

It has been years since I was a mainframe computer tech, but in those days I loved my tool case – once I got it set the way I wanted, I could tell at a glance if I was leaving something behind. If you are in a line of work that uses multiple small tools, and have to work at multiple sites, nothing else works better.

Having said that, I wouldn’t use one in my home shop. Drawers and pegboard are easier when the tools stay in the same place all the tmie.

13. Chris K says:

Hot, but only because I used one as a computer case instead of a toolcase.

14. Rick T says:

Hot..here’s my reasoning. I have longed for the perfect tool box.Given away more than most people own.The portable ones with drawers just means in and out over and over.Anything that has a tool tray that needs to get removed, is a hassle when trying to get a tool below it.I open this case and all my most common tools are at hand.Yes you have to be mindful to pick up your tools(like your dad said) or you’ll never get the case closed. I race motocross and keep it in a tongue box .I just leave it in place and open it up…works great.

15. bob says: