bdgardecult.jpg

Black & Decker’s new cordless cultivator mates a string-trimmer form factor with two counter-rotating tines to tear out weeds and aerate soil up to four inches deep in spaces way too tight for most powered cultivators.  This keeps you off your knees in the garden and saves time, too.

Unlike classic cultivators which often snag weeds that muck up the tines until you stop to clean them out, the Black & Decker’s tines spin in opposite directions — so when a weed catches in one tine, the other tears the weed free.  But if you need to work in a really tight space, you can remove either tine to operate the cultivator with just one.

Its handle shaft telescopes to fit both tall and short gardeners, and the lower grip handle sports a soft rubber jacket for comfort.  The 18V rechargeable NiCd battery slides and locks into place under the upper handle — both helping to balance the tool and freeing you from cords and fossil fuels.

At a street price of $100, it’s pretty expensive compared to the old-school elbow-powered option, but pretty cheap relative to other powered cultivators we’ve seen.  Best of all, though, the new form-factor should appeal to homeowners who often need to ’till small spaces instead of huge gardens.

18v Garden Cultivator [Black & Decker]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to A Cultivator That Looks Like A String-Trimmer

1. olderty says:

Looks good for the ‘fluffy’ kind of dirt it’s pictured in, but I highly doubt it can tackle the clay crap I’m stuck with.

2. Mark says:

Yea, it would be good to see what this can do on real “dirt.” Maybe if you first go over everything with this bad boy: http://www.groworganic.com/item_GT034_BCSProfessional852Tiller.html

I’ll probably stick to my stirrup hoe for a bit longer. I’ve also heard these circle hoes are good: http://www.groworganic.com/item_GO395_CirclehoeLongHandled.html

3. Mel E. says:

At what point will B&D decide to fire the guy who keeps approving these cordless crapolutions? It never seems to fail they come up with some new widget that to someone who has never used a tool, sounds like a good tool.

4. Pete Hartman says:

Definitely not a tool I’d want to use on real dirt to try and “aerate”. Hell I used a tiny little tiller that fit in the back seat of my saturn once, and I felt like I’d been beaten for a week afterward.

5. Brau says:

It’s a toy, not a tool. This thing will not work for anything other than soft peat moss – just like the picture shows – and an electric egg beater will do as well. For $100 you can get a mini tiller (gas) or a tiller attachment for your gas split-boom Weedeater that will really do the job well.

6. Crispy says:

Okay, I give. How do you use the circle ho?