post-cruztools1.jpg

Longtime reader and contributor Lorenzo tipped us off to these tool kits from CruzTools — great replacements for factory motorcycle kits that are lost, damaged, or just plain crappy.

Our favorite: their RoadTech H3 (pictured) which includes most everything you’d need to un-strand your Harley without embarassing AAA help: a set of combination wrenches, an adjustable wrench, locking pliers, an LED flashlight, hex and Torx keys, a screw driver, and a lot more.  There’s even a tire gauge so you don’t have to trust the lame ones at the gas station.

CruzTools offers metric versions for Asian cruisers, too, and both SAE and metrics come in a wide variety of kit sizes and combinations.  Fender mounts are available for carrying larger kits on long trips, and they even sell a “fanny pack” version for when you’ve already filled all available space with, um, stuff.

The RoadTech H3 retails for $90, but CruzTools kits start around $40 and run all the way up to about $200 depending on size and contents.  And they’re not limited to bike kits; Google Product Search (a.k.a. Froogle) turned up kits for snowmobiles and ATVs as well.  If you’re on a budget, check out the Amazon link below to the EconoKIT H1 — a smaller version of the one pictured above that sells for a lot less at $65.

Bikers’ Tool Kits [CruzTools]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

9 Responses to A Good Source For Motorcycle Tool Kits

1. Crashin says:

BTW you are picturing the $90 H3 set and linking to the $60 H1 set. It is a good concept but for that kind of money I can put my own kit together with store brand tools and purchase a fork bag to put them in.

2. Crashin says:

I should read close before you had already I got so excited about a motorcycle tool kit I must’ve lost my ability to read briefly.

3. Crashin says:

never mind I apparently am not functioning properly today at all. I blame it on getting married last weekend.

4. Chuck Cage says:

Crashin: No worries — it’s been one of those days around our offices, too. FWIW, I’ve always had trouble putting together roll-type kits because I can never find a roll that holds exactly the tools I want. I’d guess that’s even worse with a motorcycle kit where it needs to be small to fit around the battery box/under the seat.

I’ve heard of so many people scrounging for the right kit for their motorcycles that I posted it right away when Lorenzo sent it. I liked the $90 kit a little better, but thought bargain-conscious Toolmongers might want the $65 version — plus it’s the only one of the type I was writing about that Amazon stocks.

5. eschoendorff says:

I’ll second what Crashin said… those look like really cheap tools. I’d rather put together my own set – which I did for all of my cars. Granted, they’re cars and not motorcycles, but the concept is the same.

The last thing you need is for a cheap torx wrench to twist off when you’re stuck on the side of the road with your Harley. Food for thought….

6. Crashin says:

I put together the kit I carry on my motorcycle from the extra house brand or duplicate craftsman tools I had laying around. So it basically only cost me the money for the fork bag. I ride a cruiser so I don’t have the problem of stuffing that in a storage compartment below a seat or something. One of the nice things about Harleys is that they try to consistently use the same size tools. In fact there is a webpage http://www.sportster.org/tech/tools/wrenchfit.shtml that lists tools sizes for my particular bike. These are pretty commonly used for most Harley bikes. For my kit I also add in some “Boy Scout” supplies like zip ties, bungy cords, a leatherman. I’ve used my kit on more than one occasion to help a fellow biker out or to tighten something that was working it’s way loose on the highway. Another tip if you do decide to create your own is to wrap your tools in an oil rag and put them in a 1 gallon ziplock in the tool pouch. This keeps your tools from rusting after you ride through a rain storm. Living in Missouri I’ve ridden through way too much rain.

7. ned.ludd says:

Making my own tool rolls is the only reason I know how to rebuild and operate a sewing machine. I’m serious – rolls for the traveling chisels, rolls for the d*mned whitworth wrenches that MUST be in the ‘boot’ for something as benign as a beer run. When storage is cheap, everything has a place… and this is good.

8. Richard Dondes says:

I have a 2007 Harley FXDC. It has BOTH SAE and Metric fasteners. So a Cruz toolkit with only SAE or only Metric is useless. These Cruz tools look cheap. Better to make your own from Craftsman, etc.

9. Thanks for this wonderful bah i have a bike and difficult to manage the tools now my problem will solve.