post-grillbrush.jpg

Randy writes: “I used to have a Weber long-handled wood grill brush with brass bristles.  I’ve had a Char-Broil Brush Hawg for several months and have used it perhaps a dozen or so times.  In my opinion, it’s an improvement.  It’s a fairly sturdy plastic grill brush with changable stainless bristle pads.  The bristles seem to stand up to reasonable grill scrubbing duties.  There’s a stainless lip on the front for scraping, and a stainless hook on the back lifts grates and doubles as a storage hook for hanging the brush on the side of the grill.  My only complaint is that the front lip sticks up a little too high for my grill and catches on the hanging rack in the back when I’m cleaning the grates.  Pricing for the brush is about $12 and the replacement pads are about $4.”

I’ll admit to owning the Weber brush Randy described.  It does a decent job of cleaning the grill, but I’ve been wondering what I’m going to do with it when the brush finally wears out; the Char-Broil’s replaceable pads are enough to interest us in their product.  Randy says you can find this at your local big-box, and we had good luck finding it online and via Amazon as well.

The Brush Hawg Grill Brush [Char-Broil]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

9 Responses to Stop Throwing Away Grill Brushes With The Brush Hawg

1. Crashin says:

Good find!

2. Jay Brewer says:

I personally use standard 2-3 buck wire brushes you’d use for paint scraping. They are either made from stainless or copper based – tend to have longer bristles -and always last longer than these crazy bbq ones that get caked up.

3. I got a Grill Wizard that worked pretty good:

Unfortunately it worked a little too good – I neglected to read the manual with my new Weber grill, especially the part that said “use a brass brush to clean your Porcelain-Enameled Cooking Grates”. Believe me when I say a hamburger with bits of porcelain, though crunchy, does not make a good meal.

4. Freddie says:

Just burn the grill on a high fire and rub briskly with wadded newspaper.
    then burn the paper and you are done…

5. bodiby says:

If I recall correctly, I paid about $4 for my wood handled grill brush at the local big-box hardware store. I can just throw it out and get another.

6. Kurt Schwind says:

I just went out to my grill because until this year, I’ve been buying about 3 long handle brushes a year. I bought (brass bristle) one with replacable pads and a long handle on it, similar to the one above and it works great. In fact, it appears to have a lower profile (the scraper doesn’t stick up on it) than the one above. Unfortunately, I can’t give you the name of it. I checked the handle, and the replacement pads I’ve already purchased (but have taken out of the packaging already) and all it says is ‘Made In China’. Bugger. I’d love to tell you which one I have. I might send a photo of it up and see if someone else can identify it. I think I got it at Ace Hardware, but I can’t recall for certain.

7. I’ve had one of these for a few years and what really impresses me is that I’ve had it for a few years. Most brushes just don’t last. I’ve been known to throw away other peoples cheap brushes when I’m cooking at there house. It really is worth it to get a better brush than the 3 dollar units at the grocery store. They don’t last and they don’t clean well.

8. Mark says:

I have one on the Brush Hawg’s. It works well, but I wouldn’t say it’s any different than any of the other grill brushes I’ve used.

9. George C says:

I like the idea of minimizing the amount of waste going to the landfill. Given the preponderance comments stating that people buy cheap brushes and toss them when they’re done, I think toolmonger could use an injection of reduce, reuse and recycle mentality. Middle-aged men have been targeted as the most difficult demographic to turn onto sustainability. Everyday is Earth Day.