gwadapter.jpg

Sometimes having the perfect tool is less important than having a tool that’ll work in kit you can easily carry — and that’s small enough to get past the guy at the junkyard front counter, too. That’s when tool like GearWrench’s ratchet adapters kick ass, letting you fit two tools into the space of one. Slide these into your wrench set and you’ve got both a wrench and a ratchet.

These adapters convert a 10 mm, 13 mm, or 19 mm box-end wrench into a 1/4”, 3/8”, or 1/2” drive ratchet while taking up almost zero additional room in your tool bag. The ratcheting mechanism is completely housed inside the back ring and the overall depth of the combo after assembly is not any more than a standard ratchet.

The whole rig is cheaper as well, adding about $15 to the price of the wrenches you already own.

Ratchet Adapters [GearWrench]
Street Pricing [Froogle]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

8 Responses to Convert Your Wrenches To Ratchets

1. l_bilyk says:

The ratcheting mechanism isn’t housed inside the black ring… these use the gearwrench ratcheting mechanism… and the black ring houses the quick release

I have these, and i’ll be honest… i have not used them yet. I just grab a ratchet when i need a ratchet

2. eschoendorff says:

I have these and when you need a low-profile ratchet, they come in handy…

3. Old Donn says:

As mentioned above, I ran out and got these and they’re still in the package. I’ll use them at some point, just to see how/if they work, but that time hasn’t come yet.

4. Cybergibbons says:

I bought a set of flex-head ratchet spanners and they came with one of these, and it is actually quite useful having a low profile ratchet with a flexible head, though I’m sure the real thing is better.

5. KB says:

I bought one set and I’ve used it a few times, but found that the 1/4″ Sears ratchet is just as low profile as the Gearwrench with one of these. Best use is as a space saver in the toolbox in the car, as long as you don’t really torque down on something (Gearwrench/Cresent have a comment about them being precision tools).

6. KB says:

A second note, my local Sears carries them for $10 everyday. They seem to be closer to $20 everywhere else.

7. Eddie says:

If only the 3/8th was “powered” by a much more common size like 12 or 14mm and the 1/2″ powered by say a 17mm I’d buy 3 of these today to keep in my portable motorcycle tool kit. As it stands I see no reason to purchase these to save space if I have to carry two extra wrenches I have no use for.

8. Eddie says:

Just thought I’d mention. The 1/4″ socket driver does not fit any 1/4″ socket I tried it on. I tried it on SK, craftsman, husky, gearwrench and a few snap on sockets. None fit. Also oddly enough you need a 12 point ratchet heads to fit on them because a 6 point or open end just will not fit, Thinking perhaps the tolerances were tight on the gear wrench I used 6 different branded wrenches in 10mm, none fit except for their 12point ends.. Hopefully I received a lemon so I’ll go exchange it instead of return it but I’m not expecting much because the other set probably came off the same assembly line.

Oh and the new set is a 4 piece which offers a 10mm to bit converter meant to drive screwdriver or any 1/4″ hex head bits