G73.jpg

Before you comment on this, we know winter’s over.  That’s why it’s a great time to shop for a heater for next year — you’re more likely to find sales, and you won’t have to freeze your ass off installing it!  We thought maybe something like Dayton’s G73 might do the trick.  Then again, we’re from Texas where people see “cold” as relief from our surface-of-Mercury summers, so maybe you northerners can clue us in.

The G73 electric shop and garage heater features four heat settings and a built-in thermostat.  Dayton says it’ll heat areas up to 500 square feet — about the size of a three-car garage — and they recommend it for garages, workshops, and basements.  With safety in mind, Dayton also equipped it with a thermal cutout that automatically shuts off the unit if it starts to overheat.

Its street price of $300 seems steep to us Texans, but rolling into the shop in February in a T-shirt instead of a snow suit does sound uber-cool.  What do you think?

G73 Hanging Shop & Garage Heater [Dayton]
Street Pricing [Froogle]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to Summer Is The Time to Buy a Shop Heater. No, Really.

1. Crashin says:

With the memory of installing sidesteps in 10 degree weather still fresh on my mind I agree whole heartedly. I’ll be watching the posting in this thread closely. My garage is an attached 1 1/2 car type. Unfortunately it isn’t deep enough for me to pull my truck all the way in. So I need to find a heater that will put out enough heat to beat back the -10 wind chill that Kansas City winters are prone to producing.

2. ambush27 says:

well, up here, many (new-ish) houses have attached garages, and even if they aren’t heated off of the house’s furnace they tend to only have two outside walls and a room on top. for those that don’t sometimes they have a small furnace, sometimes a space heater and sometimes nothing, an electric heater is somewhat limited by a 110 volt outlet though, but should still make enough heat for a good size room

3. Michael W. says:

I feel like a Neanderthal. I’m looking at putting a bigger woodstove in my shop.

4. Chuck M. says:

Forced-air electric heaters have a couple of issues, I think. First, they’re heating air, so if you’re shop isn’t draught-tight, you’ll be constantly leaking heat, garages are horrible for this. Secondly, the heating coil elements will funk up over time, particularly in a dusty shop. Thirdly, electricity, per unit energy, including combustion efficiency, is roughly 80% more expensive than natural gas (at least in my neck of the woods). Although its easier to wire a heater than get a gasfitter to run you a line out to the shop, think about the long-term costs of operating the thing if it’s going to be on more than a few days a year.

Radiant heating, either electric or natural gas, is more efficient. They heat you, instead of the air. They switch on and off pretty much instantly and don’t need time to warm up. The only big downside is that they’re essentially line-of-sight devices. Though massy concrete floors and to a degree walls will absorb and re-radiate some energy.

5. TL says:

I use a 110v oil filled radiator to heat the garage in winter. It doesn’t make things toasty warm, but takes the edge off. The lack of glowing element or open flame lets me less concerned about shop dust and fumes.

6. Adam says:

We use a used oil heater in the main shop in the winter, and a wood / coal stove in the smaller shop. The used oil heater IS cheap to run, but in the extremely large and leaky 100+ year old building it’s in, it starts to warm things up about halfway through the day. The wood stove is in a much smaller and better-insulated shop, and with coal in it can get things quite toasty.

Around here, for my money i’ll probably scout around for a good used wood / coal stove, preferably one with a heat exchanger and a fan. the cost of wood and coal is much less then the cost of gas or electric, and has the bonus effect of being able to heat a teakettle or coffee percalator!

I’ve also used kerosene / white gas jet furnaces and radiant heaters, and while they do put out a good amount of heat and are pretty portable, they’re also rather expensive to run and have the extra danger of exposed flame, which isn’t good if you do painting or chem work!