post-tite-tie.jpg

David sent us this “little plastic metal jigger that keeps you from having to know how to tie a trucker’s hitch” from the soon-to-be-as-seen-on-TV file.

The “trucker’s hitch” [as seen here in the great demo at animatedknots.com] is a knot commonly used by truckers to shorten and secure load tie-downs.  The Tite-Tie serves the same purpose, directing rope into the same configuration — but without any knot-tying experience.

Here’s the part I don’t get, though: we’d love to tell you how much they’re asking for this thing, but we can’t find any place where you can buy it.

Maybe that’s an indication of the demand for a tool that replaces a knot you can tie for free.  I’m just sayin’.

Update: The Tite-Tie’s inventor stopped by in comments and passed on that a) we couldn’t find the price because it’s currently selling in countries other than the US, b) it’ll be on-sale in the US soon at “most leading hardware stores” for $7.50 to $9.95 a set, and c) it’s made of metal, not plastic.  He also points out that “there are nine different ways to tie a trucker’s knot.”  All of this, of course, makes this a much more interesting tool than it was at first glance.

Multi-Use Tie Down [Tite-Tie]

8 Responses to Reader Find: The Tite-Tie — The Trucker’s Knot for Dummies

1. Rob says:

Personally, I’m a knot guy but I can see where this might come in handy, especially if you’re working with wet rope. I would probably lean more towards these than the ratcheting tiedowns (which are great but for most everything I just use rope).

2. Stuey says:

Their website says that it’s a new product – that might explain the lack of online availability if it’s true. Or it could be that this is an Australian product.

3. David says:

I apologize for mistakenly saying these were plastic. Metal, with the self-locking nature makes them even cooler I guess.

4. Thanks David, no problem. I have a Google Alert on “truckers knot” so I can keep up to date with things. Would you like a sample of the Tite-Tie sent to you? Contact me directly via my web site and leave your address and I’ll send you one free of charge for being a good sport, kind regards Chris

5. Tom says:

But I love the truckers hitch, though I just looked online and it turns out that i am using the “false truckers.” Since canoe season is upon us here in MI I guess I am going to have to learn the real one, or get some of these.

6. bowdesnki says:

I found a similar, and smaller item at REI in the tent tie-down section. The design was a bit different. The brand name was Nite Ize Figure 9 Rope Tightener.

Google found:
    They have different sizes and ratings.

Can’t wait to get one of these, though. Especially for truck tie-downs.

7. Jonesy says:

I just Googled Tite-Tie and found it on the US based website (www.idltools.com/products/TT2200/) The site is not as complete a site as the Aussie site but it is definately the same product. You can buy it from these guys as well.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

8. John White says:

Did anyone ever find a US supplier for Tite tie? I have searched for this product online and even emailed the inventer. He doesn’t seem to know where to send me either. I SPOKE WITH SOMEONE AT IDL TOOLS (they have the product on their product list) and was told it would be available in two to three weeks????