post-craftsmanmultimete.jpg

Sizod writes: “There’s no excuse not to own one now; they’re $9.99 at Sears.”

From Sears.com:

“Craftsman digital mini multimeter. Functions include continuity and diode tests. Measures AC/DC Voltage with 0.5 percent basic DC accuracy. Also measures resistance. Includes Type K thermometer; allows for surface or air temperature measurements. Display is a backlit, extra large 2000 count LCD screen. Also features fuse-protected current input jacks, battery test, tilt stand and a molded rubber holster. Includes test leads and temp. thermocouple. Category II – 600 volt.”

This looks pretty darn useful for the price.  I actually have a multimeter, but at this price I might just pick up another.

Craftsman Digital Mini-Multimeter [Sears]

15 Responses to Dealmonger: Craftsman Digital Mini-Multimeter for $10

1. Rick says:

Yeah, I’ve got a nice Fluke that a previous tenant left in a box of old computer hardware in the apartment when he moved. But this seems more functional – thermometer? “allows for surface or air temperature measurements.” That’s pretty cool.

Now what’s Type K?

2. Type K is the ancient, but standard, thermocouple for everyday temperature ranges that mere mortals encounter. A few months ago my local Sears was clearing out type-K thermocouples on 36″ leads for 5 bucks each, with the traditional flat-bladed mini plug.

This appears to use the banana jacks for its thermocouple, which means it won’t work with standard type-Ks unless you find an adapter. No biggie, but the additional metal-to-metal joints introduce temperature sensitive variations. (Look up the Peltier-Seebeck effect, and the “cold side” compensation required to read a thermocouple.)

For ten bucks, I’m jumping in the car right now..

3. db says:

Before anyone uses this meter, they should check out this article from the Electrical Safety Authority.

4. Interesting article! Applies to all meters, too. I think it boils down to “don’t be an idiot” and “remember that you’re working on live equipment”. I know the Craftsman meters have at least two fuses in them — a 10 or 20 amp fuse protecting the ammeter shunt, and a sub-amp (800ma in mine) fuse protecting the measurement and display electronics.

Shrouded banana plugs are getting common too, so that if you connect the leads to something while they’re (partially) unplugged from the meter, the likelihood of a short is lower. Unfortunately, there seems to be no standard for the size or shape of the shroud, even within a single brand. I have two Craftsman meters of similar vintage (both less than 3 years old) and their leads don’t fit each other because of this.

5. Crashin says:

I ordered mine online and went to pick it up last night.

6. Abe says:

Bought online last night. Will pickup tommorow. I’ll report back my experience Friday night.

7. Kurt Schwind says:

I have an inexpensive one (probably less than $15) that I got from the Rat Shack about 10 years ago. It does all the basics. Voltmeter, Amps, Resistance, but mostly I use it as a continuity tester. Everyone needs one and now that the prices have come down, everyone should slap one in their toolbox.

8. Kurt Schwind says:

Not to spam the comments area but: What I’d really like to see is an inexpensive oscilloscope. I still don’t have one of those but I’d love to get one if they came down in price.

9. Abe says:

Picked it up today. Very nice. Looks/feels durable, easily readable. Has a nice “kickstand”. I would and have recommended it to my friends.

Abe

10. Crashin says:

So where can a person find good resources for learning to properly use a Multimeter. I understand some electrical basics, but I am far from ever becoming an electrical engineer.

11. jeffreyEngrStudent says:

I just did a measurements lab at the university I’m going to and this was consistently off by a few degrees. Icy water was 27F and boiling water was 207 F at about 300ft above sea level. It works all right for a quick estimate, but it’s not accurate.

12. Dave says:

Jeffrey, you might be overlooking an excellent opportunity to learn a bit about practical instrumentation.

13. Chris says:

As long as it’s precise, I can probably live with inaccuracy (especially for the price). 😉

cl