techtape.jpg

The term “designer tools” to me usually means steel — more specifically, shiny steel.  Tool guys dig shiny steel like nerds dig laptops and online gaming.  It’s a fact of life that some tool makers are finally coming to recognize.  When they produce things like the 25` Tech Tape they must have been thinking, “brush the steel and they will come.”

I think the “tech” in the tech tape is a good way of trying to say that it won’t hold up to hard use out in the shop.  The Tech Tape is nothing more than a normal (and probably unremarkable) 25′ tape enclosed in a shiny steel wrapper.  The problem is that the chrome approach works and I want one

For $6 it’s probably gimmicky, cheap gear, though it may be worth it as the “around the house” tape measure; it is shiny after all.

25` Tech Tape [Allied Tools]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

9 Responses to Finds: 25′ Tech Tape

1. Eli says:

a small tape like this is great when combined with a magneto clip. The tape’s clip is replaced with a steel plate. Keeps people from forgetting to give back your tape because they can’t clip it to their own belt.

2. Sean Moore says:

It’s got the graduations spelled out. Those drive me nuts.

do not want.

3. Jeff T says:

$6? It is probably some thin plastic with a shiny coating on it. I hate that.

4. TimG says:

I’m in the market for a ‘quality’ tape measure. Other than stand-out, what ‘features’ should I be looking for. I’ll be using it for woodworking and metal working and will need it to be ‘accurate’ and easy to use.

Anybody have a favorite in the middle of the pack price-range?

Thanks

5. fabmandan says:

For TimG; I have about forty-leven tape measures and the one I always hunt down is my Stanley Fat Max. Absolutley my favorite.

6. Sean Moore says:

@TimG: The end must move freely and have a solid attachment to the blade.
    There can be reinforcement on the blade for the first 6 inches or so.
    The lock should be rugged and simple (lever locks typically wear out).

The Fat Max tapes are really nice but man are they heavy! I own a couple and use them for rough carpentry, excavation, ceiling work, etc. Anywhere I need a lot of stand out.

For general use, I don’t think you can beat the regular stanley tape measures (silver case) in 25ft and 30ft. $8-$10 at the big box retailers.

I used to use a Craftsman tape until they stopped honoring the lifetime guarantee on them.

7. Sean Moore says:

whoops..

I should mention that the regular Stanley tapes aren’t nearly what they used to be. I break them fairly regularly now but I owned my first one that I bought 20 years ago for 5 years before the blade developed a crack.

Just cheaper material for the blade these days, I guess.

8. nrChris says:

I have a weakness for slick looking stainless steel gadgets. But I have a little OCD about measuring tools–I will stick with Stanleys thank you very much.

9. James B says:

It doesn’t even have metric. How tech is that?