post-slivergripper.jpg

Michael writes: “I was reminded today — twice actually — what a great tool these are.  I bought my first pair a few years ago from a brick-and-mortar camping store that was going out of business.  I recently found them again at Lee Valley and bought several more.  They make great gifts for woodworkers.  One of the neat features is the small clip that that comes with them., which allows you to keep the tweezers on a key chain.  I’ve easily removed slivers I couldn’t even see with these.  It’s a simple product that does what it’s supposed to do and still made in the USA.”

From Lee Valley:

These stainless-steel tweezers are unequalled for removing slivers.  They are accurately ground to a fine point with a light cross-score on the inside to grip the sliver.  The holes in either side make for a secure finger grip since the fleshy part of your finger naturally beds in the hole as you squeeze.

These look handy indeed, and at just $7 we might need to go ahead and pick a set up — maybe two: one for the first-aid kit and one for the shop.

“Sliver Gripper” Tweezers [Lee Valley]

8 Responses to Reader Find: Uncle Bill’s “Sliver-Gripper” Tweezers

1. Sean Moore says:

$7 seems a little high but I might have to check them out based on the review. I’m a big fan of pointed tweezers, I usually just modify store bought tweezers into “splinter picking” tweezers by making them pointed. The keychain aspect is pretty cool.

2. Rob says:

I like these but the pair I have didn’t come with the neat little clip thing. It has a little plastic tube for storage, not nearly as cool. I may have to get another pair now.

3. For $7, you could get a Swisstech whose pliers jaws are almost as fine. I’ve pulled plenty of splinters with my micro-tech, that’s for sure.

A few months ago, Harbor Freight had some AOSafety “splinter remover kits” on the bargain cart for $1 or so. I bought several, as each contains a pair of tweezers, some alcohol pads, antibacterial ointment, bandages, and sharp-pointed “slide in alongside the splinter” removers. Even at the MSRP $4, these are good to have in every toolbox since the non-splinter-specific contents are the essentials of a very basic first-aid kit.

That keychain clip is pretty sweet, though. I’ll give ’em that.

4. nrChris says:

I never have a splinter removing set of tweezers when I have a splinter. Mounting a set on a key chain seems like good practice.

5. Dan says:

Seconding the recommendation — I have a set of these, and they’re well worth the effort. I used to have to basically gouge a hole in my hand/foot/whatever until the splinter fell out, but these are much better.

They’re also grippy enough to catch onto little bits of carbon fibre / wire / etc, not just wood splinters.

6. Just noticed these in the Campmor catalog for $5.

7. John Moore says:

Sweet!

A friend gave me a pair back in the late ’80s. I carried them around for about a year and a half and then lost them. I’ve been looking for a replacement ever since. The one I had came in a little plastic tube that can evidently fall out of your pocket now and then. Maybe the key-ring is a better approach.

It was a handy little tool to have around and I used it alot. I’ve never been happy with a pair of tweezers since. I’ll have to order one.

8. Leah says:

You can get these sweet little tweezers from Lee Valley tools and if you look at the site be prepared to drool, I bet the tweezers won’t be the only thing you buy. http://www.leevalley.com hope you enjoy the site as much as I do the cataloges are some of the best reading material.