post-toolroll.jpg

Stuey writes: “I’m pretty satisfied with the Bucket Boss Tool Roll.  It’s made from heavy weight fabric, and it’s big enough to let me space things out creatively.  Bear in mind, though, that the online photos of this product are wrong.  They did away with the socket rail and put in three small velcro-flapped pouches.  Also, instead of elastic bands with plastic clips, there are nylon straps.  However, while this means that your bundle of tools will be held very securely, unrolling and rolling up the pouch takes more time than throwing a tool into a bucket, bag, or chest.”

Stuey, you’re in good company.  My father was always a big believer in roll bags for car tool kits, and I can’t fault ’em myself.  They generally don’t rattle like a box or bag will, and it’s far easier to find a specific tool in a roll than in the bowels of a dark bag at night on the side of the road.

This one looks nice, and at around $15, it’s definitely in the range of most discretionary spending.  Froogle turned up a few other variants including a wrench roll from the same manufacturer.  It might be time to replace my $5 black-as-in-can’t-be-seen-in-the-dark Harbor Freight tool bag for the car after all.

Has anyone found good brick-and-mortar sources for these?

Street Pricing [Froogle]
Buy It Now from Amazon [What’s this?]

9 Responses to Reader Finds: Bucket Boss Tool Roll

1. Roscoe says:

This is a great way to store tools in a personal vehicle as it doesn’t take up much space, and they don’t rattle.

2. Stuey says:

Coastal tools has a nice (albeit tiny) photo of the updated product. I actually too mine out of my car last night, dumped all the cheapo tools in a toolbag in the trunk, and rededicated this to some of my loose wrenches and more deserving tools. (My tiny 3 drawer chest is too full and I’ve got new visegrips sitting in my keyboard tray).

3. nrChris says:

I love these things. My wife has one for all of her knitting needles and I have one for miscellaneous wrenches. I always feel like an assassin when I unroll it, like I am assembling my sniper rifle. Maybe that is just me. But aside from that, what a great way to store clunky tools without allowing them to clunk around, particularly useful for the car or other moving environment.

4. Don Bradshaw says:

Does anybody have the dimensions for ths thing? I want to know if it will fit in my tool bag.

5. Mel E. says:

I have had one of these for years in my truck for my emergency tool set. Holds sockets, wrenches, and other handtools neatly and in a fairly small package. I have used one im my old tool bag for my wrenches and sockets, was nice to have all of that type of tool in one grab bag.

6. Stuey says:

Don,

Amazon says 14″ long. Mine fits comfortably in a 16″ toolbag, so I suppose 14″ is approximately accurate.

7. James B says:

I really like the Bucket Boss ‘mug boss’ for coffee mugs. Picked up several for gifts and myself from thinkgeek.com. Nice construction with no loose threads, heavy material, and I actually stick non-scary sharp type knives blade down into the pockets without too much worry.

8. Stuey says:

FYI, the amazon price has lowered to $11.20.

9. Crashin says:

Interesting item. I may have to buy one of these to replace my tool kit on the Motorcycle.