MikeR pointed us to this famous photo that’s made the rounds on the ‘net since 2000. As he wrote: “If this hasn’t been on TM, it should be.” Right you are.
According to Snopes.com — which verified the story via other photos and accounts (link below) — these are the pertinent facts of the story:
- That is indeed a Jetta with an estimated 3,000+ pounds of load on it. There are ten 80-pound bags of concrete in the back seat.
- The photo was taken in front of an IHOP in Maryland. The driver indicated that he was on his way to Annapolis.
- You are correctly seeing a woman “out of it” in the passenger seat.
- The driver was apparently jogging around when the photo was taken, and when the police arrived he had to be physically prevented from crouching down at the back of the car to cut the twine.
- “Witnesses said their phyiscal state was OTHER than normal…”
Is it just me, or does this actually look like one of the Depot’s “building kits?” Maybe a shed?
Be sure and check out the Snopes link below for a really scary picture of the woman in the passenger seat and lots more information.
Lumber Car [Snopes.com]