packageshark.jpg

The invention and application of the clam shell packaging is great for marketing: they can be made to any shape and display products on shelves great.  They’re also on our list of the top ten inventions that someone should burn in hell for as they’re a pain the ass to open.  So anything — like the Package Shark — that aids that process is worth a look in our book.

The Package Shark hails from the bowels of the “special offer” commercials that all end in a price that winds up being around $19.95 after the song and dance.  It’s essentially a razor blade in a channel that hooks onto the clamshell’s lip and slices the plastic without fear of maming a finger or stabbing yourself in the crotch.

Hey — it’s a gimmick type of thing, but we hate clamshells so much that almost anything sounds better than dealing with them.

Street pricing starts at around $6.

Package Shark [Product Site]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

8 Responses to Finds: Package Shark

1. nrChris says:

At $19.95 I will just keep stabbing myself in the crotch, thank you very much.

Heck at six bucks I can deal with a slipped razor or two. Cut away from yourself. Or use your fancy B&D power scissors.

2. Stuey says:

Every now and then I come across promotional/logoed letter openers which look something like this. I just typically the closest knife or pair of scissors.

Sometimes I come across compassionate packaging where the plastic is perforated for easier product retrieval – maybe other manufacturers will eventually follow suit.

3. GAC says:

I’d give it six months and I bet you’ll find them at the Dollar Store.

4. Chuck Cage says:

GAC: Now THAT’s a good answer. I’m on board.

5. Stuey says:

Haha, whoops. I thought this was the comment line for the Irwin clamps. *doh*
    Darn tabbed browsers. If someone can delete my previous comment please do so.

The video clip for this is pretty amusing – the narrator is almost as hyper as I am.

6. TimG says:

Love the Dollar Store!

I’m with everybody else, too much money.. and scissors work just fine if you don’t want to ‘save’ the package.

I DO hate that packaging though!

7. It’s my theory that this type of packaging is used to prevent merchants from re-selling opened product, and to prevent consumers from opening the item in the store. Here’s an interesting article:

8. Randy says:

I open clamshells with a pair of Stanley Tin Snips (the yellow ones in the middle of this previously submitted entry) http://toolmonger.com/2006/12/31/finds-stanley-3-piece-snip-set/

All plastic packaging cowers before my snipping might!

Seriously, I loves me some tin snips.