post-cabletiegun.jpg

If you’ve yet to use a cable tie gun, you’re definitely missing out.  Cable ties are easily one of the most useful tools in the shop — closely following duct tape and trailed slightly by 3-in-1 oil — but they take on a whole new level of handiness when combined with a good tie gun.

I came across these the first time when bundling zillions of cables in a large network install.  One of the guys had a cheaper unit, and one had a Paladin.  The cheaper one did the job — and was far quicker than applying the ties by hand — but the Paladin really was first class.  It works in a single squeeze, tightening the tie and cutting it in one fluid motion.

It’s also adjustable for cable tension so when you’re bundling lots of identical cable groups you can generate identical work almost without thinking about it.

The one downside: like all Paladin gear, they’re not real cheap.  Street pricing starts just under $50.  We found our for $48 via Amazon.

Cable Tie Gun [Paladin]
Street Pricing [Froolge]
Buy It Now from Amazon [What’s this?]

12 Responses to Finds: Paladin’s Cable Tie Guns

1. nrChris says:

Wow. I never knew that such a tool existed. Very very cool. Unfortunately I will be continuing to do my cable de-cluttering by hand. And scissors. There is also a type of pliers that are designed to tighten (wire? not really sure) and work really well with cable ties. One edge holds the head of the tie while the other pulls the cable tight. You can get the cable tie tighter with these things. Anyone know what they are called?

2. Fred says:

I’ve got this old business card around here somewhere:

Have gun will travel
    Wire Paladin – San Francisco

3. TimG says:

I’ve ‘heard’ of these, never really on my ‘need to have’ list. But then again I don’t do that much ‘zip tie’ work to really warrent it. (though they are darn handy and I use them all over the place).

Seems like a great tool for the job, and I’ll probably buy a cheapie one at Princess Auto =)

Tim

4. Crashin says:

I used one of these at my last job. Not sure of the manufacturer but it was really convenient for putting zipties in hard to reach places. The only draw back to the one I use is that it left just enough of the cut tie outside the clasp to cut you if you weren’t careful with them later.

5. Jaxx says:

I have used one similar to the one pictured at work, and wouldn’t recommend one unless you REALLY use a lot of cable ties and do so in a easy access situation.

Sometimes its too awkward to get the jaws round the tie, also at angles the cutting sometimes doesn’t bite, but this might be due to the particular tool and not inherent of all cable tie guns.

Now I reach for pliers and a Stanley.

6. sizod says:

I never got the point of these, tried them, but it was easier and fast to use my hand and some small snips

7. John says:

Agreed that there are situations where these things won’t fit, but I personally never leave home without one. Once I forgot them and while I didn’t *have* to have them . . I’d gotten spoiled. I happened upon one in WalMart of all places, and to my surprise, they’re actually of very good quality. They were about 10-15 bucks, and they’ve served me quite well in the past few months. And they look exactly like the ones pictured above, down to the tension adjuster.

8. MikeR says:

I’ve never heard of this either. Great post. Do these take regular cable ties?

9. Yes, they work with all ordinary zip-ties. The side of the thing is open, so even very wide ties will fit, though anything wider than the cutting blade won’t, of course, be cut off properly.

I’ve only got the cheap version (that price is Australian dollars), and it works great. I imagine the Paladin version may be able to pull the tie further in one grab, but the cheap ones seem more than good enough for ordinary users.

They have adjustable tension before the blade snips the loose end off (quite flushly, too), so you can use the gun to bundle cables without pinching them, or to clamp the hell out of something (someone?) you’re attaching to a conduit or whatever.

10. Emery Roth says:

I use a similar set at work all the time. I’m not sure if many people know, but often times the tool setting number is listed on the bag of zip ties…It doesnt always translate perfectly, but its a good place to start especially if you change the type of tie you use often. When they are set right they should cut the tie perfectly flush, which is kinda a pet peave of mine. The little tab of plastic that gets left when not carefully cut can give you a really nasty cut very easily.

11. I use regular flush-cuts for trimming my ties, and they work fine 99% of the time, which I think is about as consistent as the tie guns, too. The trick is cleaning up that last percent, so as not to leave any barbs for the next guy. Carry an emery board! They’re phenomenally cheap, and they work surprisingly well for knocking down the sharp plastic bits.

12. Roland Pokorp says:

I have three of these $50 Paladin Wire Tie Guns that are broken. The latch spring broke in the same place on all 3 guns. I cannot get springs because it seems Paladin buys them complete from somewhere.