tm-update.jpgAll the recent discussion about flooring and fixtures has us wondering what some of your shops look like.  We hear about your successes — and some of your projects — in comments, but we’d like to see ’em, too.

If you get a chance, drop us a photo of your shop or work area.  You can email photos to me directly at ccage [at] toolmonger.com.  (You know the anti-spam drill — replace the [at] and spaces with the appropriate symbol.)  We’ll publish some of the pictures here for everyone to check out, and hopefully we’ll all come up with some new ideas for how to improve the place we enjoy spending our time.

PS: Don’t spend a lot of time resizing images, but our perfect photo is 450 pixels wide.  Larger is better than smaller, but don’t bother with extreme high-res as we’re not doing any print work.

We look forward to hearing from you!

14 Responses to Show Us Your Shop

1. Paul says:

I have been setting up a temporary shop at my new house, in another state. So I work on my shop when I get the chance. And, I don’t have any really recent photos of my shop right now. Sometimes I get one of those disposable cameras and take pics, but I haven’t done that in a while. I’m not planning on going back to my new place for another couple of weeks, so I really can’t take any new shots that would be representative of the state my shop is in right now.

With all of that having been said I will see what I can dig up as far as shop pics go. The most recent ones I have are pretty old, and really poor quality, They are scanned disposable camera pics. Honestly I am reluctant to submit any.

Here is one shot I have now of my shop:

Really, my shop is nothing like this image today, but it is the best I have, sorry. When I get to my new place fulltime I plan on building a detached workshop for myself. This setup is just on one side of the garage.

2. James says:

I haven’t finished my shop yet, so it looks like crap right now:

However, I love seeing other people’s shops. I’m constantly on the lookout for good ideas that I can incorporate into mine as I complete it.

3. eschoendorff says:

My cluster fck of a garage.

4. eschoendorff says:

Oops… here is a link to the photo. Please don’t laugh out loud….

5. MikeR says:

eschoendorff: Corvette?

6. Nick Carter says:

My shop, although I now have a 10K South Bend lathe instead of, and in the same place as, the Atlas 10″ lathe…

7. james hamilton says:

(I hope this works, since there’s no preview)

This is roughly a 250 degree view of my disaster of a shop.

From left to right you’ll see things like:
    – TIG welder (the grey box)
    – dewalt radial arm saw
    – electrolytic derusting tank (black), currently with a Kennedy fold out toolbox in process
    – Wilton 6″ machinist’s vise (blue)
    – FreeBSD server, from Hotmail’s original datacenter
    – Millermatic 35 MIG welder with Aircomatic wire feeder on top
    – 4×6 Chicago horizontal bandsaw (dirty gray)
    – 10×12 Carolina horizontal bandsaw (green)
    – 14″ Delta bandsaw (blue)
    – dust collector (visible as off white deflated bags)
    – 10″ Delta miter saw (light blue) mounted on a 6″ AMT jointer (gray) (kinda proud of that hack…)
    – Craftsman oscillating spindle sander

8. james hamilton says:

Crap. Here’s a link to the picture that failed to show up above:

9. nrChris says:

My cramped workshop can be seen here:

It is about 12′ by 16′ but I can spill over into the entire basement. Its not much but it is my first workshop in my first house. Newly set up, too.

10. sizod says:

I would show mine but I’m afraid OSHA would come kick me out of my workshop 🙂

11. Love the pictures! I’m too ashamed to show mine in it’s entirety, but here’s a sampling of artistic shots: http://flickr.com/photos/barelyfitz/tags/woodworking/

12. Copperhead says:

Don’t knock a 12’x16′ space, I’m in a two bedroom apt and stuck with the coffee table for my admittedly lightweight workshop needs.

Luckily, I mostly need tools for wargaming minis, so a Dremel 275 and the Workstation attachment cover most of it. Well, apart from the spray painting (porch) and jigsaw work (coffee table and quick cleanup before I get caught).

I want to get into the larger scale table terrain (this sort of thing), but I’m waiting on that first garage to call my own……

Terrain tables:

13. Copperhead says:

Oh quick question:

Given my very limited space, what’s the best tool for cutting ruler straight lines in 3-5mm plywood and slightly thicker MDF?

A table saw is out of the question, what would be a good tabletop equivalent?

14. Matthew says:

Copperhead:
    I would suggest that you use a jig/sabre saw (decent ones are cheap- I bought a nice craftsman one for under 80$) with a nice steel straightedge clamped solid to the material you are cutting. Do a couple of practice cuts first. The key is to keep the shoe of the saw flush with the straightedge as you cut. Go slow, and take your time setting everything up before you cut. Measure THREE times and cut once! Don’t let all of these “tool guys” and media outlets make you think you have to have the latest and greatest laser guided, li-on powered, ergonomic gadgets to finish your projects. The greatest artists and craftsmen use their limitations as inspiration…