post-exhalegloves.jpg

Mike R. writes: “Gorgonz makes a cool glove that has a valve in the back that you breathe into to help warm your hands.  They seem well built and have a comfortable fit that allows for a lot more dexterity than a typical cold weather gloves.  The valve works great, and breathing warm air into the gloves definitely helps keep your hands warm.  There’s an easy-to-grab flap covering the valve, which keeps crap out of it.”

“Home Depot carries a couple sytles (the 650 and 475), though the 650 and 850 are the only ones with the valve.  The 650 has less insulation but allows for more control than the 850.  The 650s are cheaper at Home Depot — $29 around here — than on the Gorgonz website.”

These look swet.  I’ll admit to (carefully) using a heat gun to warm up the inside of my jacket a few weeks ago when it was freezing here.  Anything to stay warm.

Froogle found the upscale 850s for around $35 from a variety of vendors, and we found ’em at the same price via Amazon.

Exhale Cold Weather Gloves [Gorgonz]
Street Pricing [Froogle]
Buy It Now from Amazon [What’s this?]

8 Responses to Reader Find: Gorgonz’ Exhale Cold Weather Gloves

1. ian says:

I work construction and I’ve been using the 650’s for about a month now, and they work great. I’m on my second pair by now, but they sure keep warm with a lot more dexterity than bulkier work gloves.

2. Lee Gibson says:

I’m a little curious about the effect of the moisture from your breath being stuck in the gloves.

The first order of business in staying warm is staying dry. How do these gloves handle that?

3. benjamen says:

I remember several years ago out local TV (Minneapolis) consumer reporter did a comparison test. I don’t remember all the details, but I remember that after several hours a good pair of similar, but without the air valve, gloves kept your hands warmer.

4. Paul says:

Warm weather is right around the corner who needs gloves for cold weather? Lets see posts about flip flops!

5. bbot says:

I have these. They’re okay, I guess. I hardly ever use the exhale thing (which actually works pretty well) but the seams in the fingertip are irritating.

6. nrChris says:

I am with Paul on this one–the sun is shining today. I want someone to invent steel toed flip flops that I can wear on the job!

One of my construction industry co-workers swears by these, but a lot of people seem to complain about the fit. For the money they would certainly be worth a try–only looking at a ~$4 premium over the mechanix style gloves.

7. Hank says:

Don’t know about the comfort of the glove, or it’s durability, but the hole idea sure sounds silly. Next, I expect to see a promotion for a glove that is supposed to keep your hands warm, but first, you stick your hand in a pan of warm water. Same principle. The writer nailed it when he said adding moisture to a glove(from one’s warm breath that remains warm for about 4 seconds on cold hands) promotes colder hands.

Ever try the battery warmed socks? Idea is great until you relize that the warmth continues and begins to make your feet sweat, even standing still. When you walk a lot in them, your feet are soon swimming. When you turn the switch off, you just have wet, cold feet.

HumBug

8. Ray says:

Working in oil and gas in the frozen north, the cheap white cotton glove liners are popular (~$6 for 10). They’re pretty much disposable, and they don’t really keep your hands warm, so much as slow down the rate at which they get cold, but they allow good dexterity. If you use them with disposable pocket warmers, that helps too.

Another trick is to rotate two pairs of work gloves. One pair on your hands, the others roasting on your truck dashboard, over the defroster vents. When your hands start to get cold, just swap ’em out.

I hate getting cold hands, especially when you let it go for too long, to the point where they’re completely numb. Once they start to warm up and get feeling back, it feels like they just got freshly slammed in a door.