post-sandwet.jpg

Here’s another piece of kit we came to love this week: good sandpaper.  We picked up some of Norton’s 800, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit SandWet product from the paint shop after they got done laughing at our rattle-can project.

The real winner here, though, is the 2000 grit.  It offers a totally different level of control from the 320 grit you find at the big-box stores.  We were even able to make some minor repairs on a clear-coated finish, then add just a little clear to cover up the work.

The SandWet works for either wet or dry sanding — a function of the material used for the backing paper — and it’s great to have in the shop.  Like I said, we picked up the other grits while we were there so we’ve got a variety to work with.

We couldn’t find a reasonable source online, but to put things in perspective, we paid about $9 a pack for the stuff we bought.  If any of you know of a good mail-order source, please post it in comments.  You’ll save the rest of us an embarassing trip to the local store.

SandWet Sandpaper [Norton]

8 Responses to Finds: Norton’s SandWet Fine Sandpaper

1. nrChris says:

NorthernTool.com has all sorts of very cheap sandpaper–I tend to use the Norton stuff for higher grit as well as velcro backed applications.

Here is a sample link to a pack of 600 grit for $0.49!

2. 2000 grit? Are you trying to rip stuff to shreds?

I bought this kit of micromesh abrasives for $15. It goes down to 12,000 grit and then has a liquid abrasive that is even finer.

And why do you need finer than 12,000 grit?

Because you can refinish any CD, DVD or playstation game disc as long as the underlying aluminum is undamaged (1/2 through the disc).

You can’t polish them back to perfect transparency, but I’ve yet to have 10 minutes of work fail to return a disc to 100% reliability.

3. Rick says:

I found a number of sources for Norton Automotive Abrasives. I’ve never ordered from these sources, they’re just here for reference.
    :: Crest Net Sales :: No online ordering system, but you can call in and order.
    :: Hartville Tool Woodworking :: Not sure if these guys have the wet/dry paper for automotive applications. But they do carry 2000 grit. $3.99 for a 5pk
    :: Eldorado Tool Sales :: 50pk of 2000 grit for $22.96
    and even :: Amazon.com ::

Where did you guys look? 😀

4. Rick says:

I’ve got some sources for Norton sandpaper.. if it ever gets moderated, I’ve got a few online sources in a previous post.

5. Nick Carter says:

Also look at 3M finishing film, neat stuff available down to very small micron sizes.

Of course I also have diamond abrasives which sometimes will polish the unpolishable…

6. Paul says:

Norton usually curls up on me when I use it wet. I prefer 3M wet or dty paper. Wet sanding to 320 I can achieve an automotive finish over that prep. Sometimes I use 400 between basecoats.

One nice product I know about is a paste abrasive used to cut a surface prior to painting it. It is called Ting. You could get away with just rubbing a panel with Ting, washing it, then painting it, as long as the panel is good.

7. Jeff T says:

Wal-mart has the 3M wet stuff up to 2000 or so last I was there, for what it’s worth.

8. Mark says:

This is good information for the “Scary Sharp TM” system:

I use this method to sharpen my block plane, jack plane, and chisels.