post-rikonsaw.jpg

Rikon recently released an updated 14″ bandsaw featuring 13″ re-saw capacity and a built-in quick-release blade tensioner.  (If you missed it, be sure to check out the great discussion in comments regarding de-tensioning.  The short version: it’s a good idea.)

While I haven’t owned any Rikon products personally, I’ve known a number of people who have, and they always seem to have good things to say about ’em.  You’ll note, too, that according to Rikon this was a Popular Woodworking magazine “Editor’s Choice.”

Other features: a 1-1/2″ HP, 2-speed motor, blade tracking and tension windows — these are handy — and an integrated light — also impressive as I can never manage to light my shop completely.

Street pricing starts around $800.

14″ Deluxe Bandsaw [Rikon Power Tools]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

9 Responses to Finds: Rikon’s New 14″ Deluxe Bandsaw

1. Rick says:

That would be a 13″ resaw capability.. not 14″..

That said.. looks like a nice saw.. Right now I’m planning long term to see what major equipment I pick up over the next couple of years. I’m torn between woodworking and metalworking – I’ve got more experience in woodworking, but I do a lot of automotive work on my car, and your gaming chair back in the summer really got me itching to get a welder and learn how to work with metal.
    That said, the direction I choose will likely impact what tools I acquire. Some are going to be unique to one or the other (like a router for woodworking, or a welder for metalworking) but some like band saws could go either way. From what I can tell, something like the Harbor Freight vertical/horizontal bandsaw that you guys wrote about last week or the week before seems to be more prevalent in the metalworking community as it’s commonly used horizontally. But in woodworking they tend to use band saws vertically, and the Harbofreight Style one seems to be quite week in that area. – This Rikon looks like it’s very good with the wood. But doesn’t really address the metal side of the house.

Anyone that’s more familiar with either/or both – is it just a matter of using the appropriate blade what decides what material you can cut? Or are there other specifications that tailor a band saw to metal over wood or vice versa? (Like say HP, saw speed, etc.)

2. Rick says:

Oh, and BTW – The Magazine they mention they won the award for has some good content on their site for woodworkers if anyone is interested:

That said, I didn’t see the review they were referring to where Rikon won editor’s choice. The only one I saw was from 2003 on Steel Bodied BandSaws – but the Rikon isn’t discussed. There may be a more recent review in their paper issues that doesn’t appear on their site yet.

3. Chuck Cage says:

Rick: Oops. Morning fingers. Thanks (again) for the catch. Would it help if I told you Sean and I were out in the shop until 1am last night doing some interior work on a friend’s car that included some very hairy paint work? 🙂

As far as metal vs. wood bandsaws go, it’s both the speed and blade. Good vertical bandsaws for metal are much more expensive than their wood counterparts, and I’d be reluctant to try and work both materials with the same fixed power tool — even if the tool was capable of it. The waste materials (sawdust/metal chips and dust) don’t really mix well, so you’d have a clean-up from hell each time.

But that said, you can indeed rotate a relatively inexpensive bandsaw like the ones we were talking about in the previous post to vertical and do some cutting with ’em. They’re not going to work like the $5k to $10k uprights you see in the chopper shops on TV, but you can often get the job done. With the right combination of a horz/vert bandsaw, a small plasma cutter, an angle grinder with flap discs, and files you can make just about any shape you need to make without the high-dollar fixed tools.

I’m also really glad to hear that you’re thinking about trying some metalwork. It’s a lot of fun, and you’ll find that your opportunites expand quite a bit once you’ve added that capability to your shop. Even if you just pick up one a decent inexpensive wire welder for $300-$400, you’ll be able to tackle all sorts of projects. We really built the chair with the little Hobart Handler (even though we have a Millermatic 250 MIG in the shop), and besides a little extra grinding work, it worked fine.

4. nrChris says:

For the price, that is a big saw–think about how big of a log you are looking at to resaw 13″ sections. I would hop on this if I had the room in my workshop–it would save me in materials the cost of the machine within a year, maybe less. It is like having a bandsaw and a small sawmill in one.

5. James says:

Rick: PW gave the Rikon an Editor’s Choice award in issue #158 (November 2006). They also named it one of the best new tools of 2006 in issue #159 (December 2006).

6. Rick says:

Thanks James,

I figured they had, I just couldn’t find the info on their site. Some sites just don’t update their content as often as we’d like.

Chuck:
    The Gaming Chair is actually the first post that turned me on to Toolmonger… I’ve been an avid reader since. I’ve been eyeing the Hobart Handler 140 – just ’cause I don’t want to go through the hassle/expense of doing the MIG conversion on the 125, or not having the flexibility to do it at all with the 125 EZ. So the 140 is nice for me too ’cause it’ll run on 110.. It’s currently on my Amazon wishlist.. even though I personally wouldn’t likely purchase it there – if someone else is getting me something, they’re more than welcome to buy it where ever they please 😀

7. Paul says:

I know I need a good vertical bandsaw someday. About the only two things stopping me from running right out and buying one is funds, and space. Other than that I’m there!

When I am ready to purchase such a machine I will probably get something secondhand. I don’t like shipping my money, and work overseas. US company, products are manufactured in Germany and China.

8. Nick says:

Ok guys. Lets talk apples here. The 14in doesn’t refer to resaw capacity. It refers to the size of the wheel that the band rides on. I am considering this and was most impressed by the sturdiness of the Rikon.

9. Daryl says:

Regarding the Rikon Deluxe 14″, I have used one for a year and it outshines my old Delta (which I used for 20 years) bigtime.
    Re the talk on size and resaw…14″ refers to the distance from the blade to the back column of the saw and is roughly equivalent to wheel diameter…it’s how WIDE you can cut. Resaw is the distance from the table vertically to the highest setting for the upper blade guides. The Rikon will cut a 14″ wide by 13″ high hunk of wood.