post-bostitchcompressor.jpg

When you’re buying a compressor, you’ve got to put some thought into what you’re going to do with it.  For example, if you’re planning on running an air wrench or a die grinder, you’re going to need a pretty big tank.  But if you’re just looking to drive a single nailer — like many people do at the jobsite — your needs are somewhat different.

And that’s what makes this new compressor from Bostitch so interesting.  Its small, internal 1.6 gallon tank is plenty to drive a nailer, but because its 1.5 HP motor only draws a peak of 8 amps, you can run a lot longer extension cord to it — a big deal when you’re working on a new-build house where there’s only one power source.

It’s also not any larger than it needs to be, weighing in at just under 20 pounds.  Bostitch claims it’s “ultra-quiet,” but I’ve never heard an oil-free compressor that I didn’t continue to hear for a bit after it switches off.  Somehow I have trouble believing this one’s any different.

That said, it looks like a great tool for job-site trim work.  The price is right, too, starting at around $120 online.

Trim Air 1.5 Peak HP Oil-Free Contractor Compressor [Bostitch]
Street Pricing [Froogle]
Buy It Now from Amazon [What’s this?]

7 Responses to Finds: Bostitch’s New Oil-Free Contractor Compressor

1. Julian Tracy says:

I have the above mentioned Trim-pro compressor and have used it for about 6-8 months and have found it to be just the ticket for just about any trim gun application.

It fills up in about 35-40 seconds, refills ( or cycles) in only 10-15 seconds and is not that loud at all – it has a very low-pitched motor sound.

Great compressor.

Jt

2. Okay, for the pneumatics newbies among us: I thought oil-free was for airbrush artists. Why would you want an oil-free compressor in the shop? Won’t that just mean you have to oil your air tools more often?

3. Eli says:

I oil them three drops every time I use them. Part of the ritual. Hasn’t really caused any problems. Sometimes I won’t oil the 18 gauge gun if it’s unfinished wood I’m dealing with on the day.

4. Roscoe says:

Nate:
    1. I think Oilless refers to the compressor, it doesn’t mean you can’t run tools that need oiling with it. It just means that you won’t have to check the reservoir on the compressor that would lube a piston.

2. You can add an inline oiler to any compressor to oil your tools, or just add a few drops of oil inside the tool fitting before you connect it to the line. There are some oil-less brad nailers and staplers out there now too.

5. nrChris says:

That is what I was looking for. I need to do a lot of molding and some basic framing, but I have no desire for any other pneumatic tools. This may make me re-evaluate my spending plans. No sense buying an overkill compressor for just a couple of nailers. This brings the whole thing back into the affordable universe.

6. Julian Tracy says:

This is not the compressor for you for framing at all. It is only really suitable for trim guns.

JT

7. Brock says:

Oil and oiless compressors have nothing to do with how you oil your guns. Oiled compressors will typically run longer and quieter with a harder duty cycle than oiless compressors. As far as your guns go, oil them per the manufacture’s instruction. More is not better in this case, too much oil will blow out the seals, too little will let them dry out. 3-5 drops/day is typically enough in any nailer. Use a moisture filter.