post-bigazz.jpg

ChannelLock’s taking their place on the short list of Tool Manufacturers With Balls(tm) with their awesomely-named 20-1/4″ BigAZZ Tongue and Groove Pliers.  Seriously, what else would you call a 20-1/4″ pair of pliers?  “Large” just doesn’t cut it, does it?

We think that other manufacturers should jump on the bandwagon as well, following the lead of Stanley (the FUBAR) and Snap-on (the “Crud Thug”) and giving tools names that a) actually describe what they do, and b) reflect something that we’re actually likely to call ’em.

Other than the cool name, these are essentially just a very large pair of tounge and groove pliers from a manufacturer whose name is pretty much synonymous with the tool.  (Of course, there’s been some pretty significant competition in the field recently.)

Street pricing starts around $51.

20-1/4″ BigAZZ Tounge and Groove Pliers [ChannelLock]
Street Pricing [Froogle]
Buy It Now from Amazon [What is this?]

9 Responses to Best Named Tool of the Day: ChannelLock’s BigAZZ Pliers

1. Paul says:

I have the 16″ pair of pump pliers. They’re pretty cumbersome as it is. I can hardly imagine a pair 4 inches longer still. The pair I have barely fits into a a roller box drawer. At some point you just have to call in the heavy equipment on some stuff.

2. Old Donn says:

Got these because they were in the store one day. They came in handy breaking loose a stubborn oil filter that I couldn’t reach with anything else.

3. nrChris says:

Speaking of BigAss, the other day I was in the self-service warehouse of Ikea and I looked up to notice a gigantic 10 bladed fan spinning slowly. They are from a company named appropriately, Big Ass Fans (www.bigassfans.com)

Seriously. I am not affiliated with them or anything. But the fans look cool. Too bad it is still freezing in my workshop–maybe someday I’ll need a big ass fan instead of a heater.

The big Channel Locks are cool. I have used them (inappropriately) for some plumbing repairs. Nice to have something that can open up like that.

4. eschoendorff says:

I also have teh 16″ pair of pliers. And I just picked up some nippers, a 10″ nut buster and a pair of slip joint pliers. All great quality and definitely worth the money. And USA made!!!!!!!! Highly recommended

5. TimG says:

I just want that Crud Thug!! I obviously can’t afford it.. but working on old cars up north there is lots of rust/undercoating/crud to clean away to make rust repairs/etc.. this thing would be awesome!

I’d seroiusly consider renting it locally to do restoration work.

Anybody have a ‘cheaper’ alternative that does the same job as the Crud Thug?

Oh.. and big ass pliers are cool too =)

Tim

6. Rush says:

these things definitly require “man” hands when using their full potential. i’ve used them several times.

7. Phillip says:

I’ve had my 20″ Channellocks for over 20 years. My favorite use for them:
    When attaching hardware (handles, latches or hinges) to wooden carcass cases – like musical instrument cases – When riveting the hardware on and the wood was such thickness that did not allow for placement of a backup burr (washer), the 20 was able to straddle the Marson rivet gun, case and still place a burr and a nut so I could compress the wood of the case. I could easily “add” 3/16″ to my rivets.
    With such a substantial tool like this, it opens a whole new world of ideas like that.

8. Matt says:

Channel Lock’s “Big Azz you can get” is more comfortable and easier to use than a pipe wrench with a comparable jaw span. If you don’t need the torque of a pipe wrench the Big Azz frees up one hand to align and steady your work. I purchased this tool last summer and have used it far more than I ever thought I would. My Big Azz was stolen two weeks ago and I’m desperate for a new one. That’s how I got to this site… Matt

9. This are a large pair of Tongue & Groove Pliers. The name is catchy….What exactly do you use them for? Large pipelines? What type of tradesmen would use these?