post-mechanix.jpg

question-tm.jpgWe’ve written about gloves with impact protection and even gloves with lights on the fingers, but they all seem kinda gimmicky to us.  Realizing that we — like you, probably — do more than just work on the car, what’s your favorite shop glove

Maybe I should be a little more specific: by “shop glove,” I mean gloves other than the classic “work glove” — which is great, but doesn’t offer anywhere near enough dexterity for most smaller work.

Right now, we seem to favor the one pictured above — Mechanix’ “original.”  We’ve worn out three pairs over the last few months, but I’m glad to say that it’s the gloves that are worn out and not our hands.  The Mechanix gloves seem to offer a nice balance between durability and dexterity, though they are a little pricey.

But we haven’t tried ’em all.  I suppose what we should really do is put together a test.  Let us know your favorites in comments, and we’ll schedule a test of as many of ’em as we can find.

17 Responses to Reader Question: What’s your favorite shop glove?

1. Trevor Dyck says:

Since I work in a motorcycle dealership, I can get accessories at cost, so I usually spring for some mesh/leather Alpinestars “motocross” “mx6” gloves. They hold up pretty well and don’t cost alot, even if you can’t get them at dealer cost. My $0.02

2. Eric says:

I like the craftsman mechanics gloves, they’re pretty similar to the mechanix gloves (mechanix makes them), and they’re $5 cheaper, and if you watch the ads they go on sale pretty often for as low as $10. Though they have changed the design recently, and i’m not sure what I think about the new finger tips yet.

3. Cybergibbons says:

I used to like Mechanix gloves, but they are really quite expensive here, and they don’t last long before they are covered in heavy fuel oil. Not too good at heat insulation either.

Recently, I’ve been using what resemble leather flying gloves – very soft leather, quite thin. They last ages, fuel wipes off ok, and they are good at insulating up to a reasonable temp (10bar steam temps anyway). Dirt cheap in China as well.

4. Harry says:

Nitrile gloves are my favorite. They protect the hand somewhat and offer protection from chemicals, grime, and fluids while maintaining dexterity. They’re supplied for free at work.
    My next favorite all purpose glove is the military nomex glove. It offers durable protection, maintains dexterity, and throws in heat protection.
    The Mechanix gloves have the cool factor I guess with the wide range of styles, logos, and colors available. However, when they’re oil or coolant soaked who cares? That’s why I like the nitrile gloves. When they tear, get too slimy, or my hands need some fresh air, off they go and they get tossed into the nearest trash can.

5. Roscoe says:

Plain old jersey gloves are my favorites since you can buy a bundle of them for less than a pair of other gloves, then pitch them as soon as they get nasty.

6. nrChris says:

The Mechanix gloves that you pictured are the ones that I prefer. When they go I like to remember that it could have been my knuckles and fingers all banged up instead of the gloves. And no matter what anyone says, they are good looking.

7. sam says:

i use ironclad wrenchworks gloves any time i’m doing any lifting and handling. i know they’re expensive, but they fit me perfectly and my hands feel a lot better after a day of work wearing them.

8. Old Donn says:

I’ve been sold on these things from Day 1. The standard issue Craftsman/Mechanix gloves not only save bumps and burns, they make hand cleaning a whole lot easier. I always pick up a pair or two at Sears when they’re half price. One drawback, as outlined in another post, once they get soaked with grease or oil, it’s there for good, no matter how many times they’re washed. A box of nitriles is always good to have around for messy jobs.

9. luthier58 says:

I combine two of the above. I wear nitrile gloves all the time, when it’s cold I snip the thumb and first two finger tips out of cheap jersey gloves and wear them over the nitriles. Nothing beats the thin nitrile for dexterity, and they’re both so cheap it’s not painful to throw a torn/fuel-soaked pair away.

10. Paul says:

If I wear gloves around the shop it is for protection from some process, such as wood staining, or welding. For chemical protection I wear those blue nitrile is it, gloves. Latex gloves get eaten up by too many solvents. For welding I sort of recall a horse on the cuff of the ones I have. They’re TIG welding kid gloves or something like that. I picked up a few pair at a welding supply house. I do have the heavier welding gloves too, but I usually don’t need that sort of protection.

I really don’t like to wear gloves, but sometimes I figure I am better off if I do. I wouldn’t wear gloves for just doing mechanical work. I’d never entertain the thought of buying gloves like are pictured in this post.

11. sizod says:

A pair of those gloves won’t last me a day before i have gone through the index finger or thumb, I gave up buy them latex disposable are way better

12. Eli says:

I like Latex, Ironclads , kid leather. This a fetish website or what?

13. Toolaremia says:

I started out with the Mechanix, but switched to the Craftsman the first time they went on sale for $10. Now I have one pair of “clean” gloves for delicate topside work, a “dirty” pair for bottom-side work, and a pair of heavy-duty leather gloves for tire, brake, and metal work. When the Craftman’s go on sale, I usually buy a couple pairs. I have at least four in the drawer now. They usually last a Summer. I also like the new design with rubber over the thumb and forefinger. They last significantly longer.

14. Fong says:

I’m partial to the Mechanix M-Pact series gloves. Grip is good. I’m more concerned about bloody knuckles when that bolt suddenly gives. It’s not that I’m afraid of a little pain but bleeding is messy. =P

15. TireGrunt says:

I like the the ‘mechanix’ gloves but they only last me about a month a pair in a retail tire shop (I personally mount about 40 tires a day) and they are pretty good at allowing me to do fine stuff (valve cores, etc) and they come off pretty quickly when I need to do paperwork or touch the interior of a customers car. I found out that Mechanix now makes two new types of gloves T/M and T/C for $40 and $70 that look heavy duty enough to deal with just about everything you can throw at them.

Until I cough up that much money I have several pairs of the traditional type that I wear nitrile desposables underneath in wet/snowy weather or when they become so full of holes they become almost useless but I try to strech them out.

16. As a Glove Industry expert and former glove manufacturer and now a major glove distributor, I was happy to see the commentary on mechanics gloves. Mechanics type gloves were initially introduced around 2003 and have become very popular and valuable to mechanics and laborers.

As I recall, IronClad was the first to popularize them, followed by Youngstown (former IC guys) and Mechanixs who made improvements or replicas. We’ve sold them all but favoring some models over another for design, usefulness, and price. They all fit nicely, but the end result is about fit, feel, and function. Most important is a design, which adds long-life to the glove. This year we are adding the Kinco ProSeries line which offer a better design at an economical price.

If any of you wish to participate as one of our glove “selected” work glove evaluators, drop me (Joe) a request at gloves-online.com

Also, if any one has a technical question regarding work gloves, rubber gloves, coated gloves or the like, please let me know. Gloves are our business and our passion.

Thanks, Joe (The Glove Guru)