post-clampset.jpg

nrChris writes: “15 Clamps for $20?  Too good to pass up.  I just bought a set, and all the clamps are very sturdy.”

Why not?  There’s no doubt that the Bessey K-Bodys Woodcraft recommends in this product’s “you might also like” section are probably better clamps, but how many of them can you get for $20.

15-Piece Professional Clamping Set [Woodcraft]

13 Responses to Deals: 15 Clamps for $20

1. Eli says:

I’m pretty sure these are the ones I bought at Lowe’s a couple years back. The spring clamps are junk, but the bar clamps are good.

2. Cybergibbons says:

Bought a set of these for £10 from Argos (catalog shop in the UK) a few years back, and it had 4 G-clamps with it as well. Really can’t complain for the money.

3. nrChris says:

Eil, while I can’t speak to the longevity of the spring clamps, they certainly seem sturdy. Mine are only a week old, but they are very strong so far. I think spring clamps have a pretty limited usefullness anyway–I really bought the set for the 8 bar clamps–which are vastly superior to the knockoff QR style clamps that I have been using.

4. Paul says:

You can never have too many clamps. I just bought 4 6″ Quik Grip knockoffs for $8 at the B&D outlet. They came in handy when I threw together a shelf over one of my benches. I have a bunch of bar clamps too and can develop much more clamping pressure with those than I can with the Quik Grip variety of clamps.

I don’t have any of the plastic spring clamps. I just can’t think of a use for them so never got around to getting any of them ever. What do people do with their spring clamps? I do have a few quick release hand clamps, that sort of remind me of spring clamps, without the spring. I don’t use those too much really.

5. Rick says:

Well,
    Like most tools.. there’s nothing like the right tool for the job. But when you need that “right” tool – nothing else will do. (Or at least nothing else will do quite as well) – Though limited, spring clamps do have a few uses. I saw one the other day in a woodworking journal. They were putting a 3/4″ thick piece of hardwood over the front edge of a 3/4″ plywood shelf. Instead of having to use up a bunch of 24″+ long pipe clamps trying to clamp the front and back edge of the shelf, they suggested taking some heavy duty rubber bands, take the two ends, one on the top of the shelf and one on the bottom – then stretch towards the back of the shelf (putting pressure on the hardwood facing) and secure with spring clamps. I think in fact the back edge of the shelf was already covered in a plywood backing for the whole piece, so the pipe clamps wouldn’t even have worked. Not to mention if you’re doing a project like that, unless you repairing something, you’ve usually got other elements that you’ve also glued for which you might need those pipe clamps freed up.

6. Rick says:

BTW.. just came across another use for spring clamps – check out the Harbor Freight Heavy Duty 4×6 Bandsaw thread and look at James B’s comment..

“…..
    tip: use a spring clamp to hold the blade on the top wheel while rolling the other end onto the bottom wheel.”

7. nrChris says:

Rick,

I was going to mention that I find spring clamps useful for lots of miscellaneous things such as you mentioned–I currently hang misc band saw blades from a ceiling joist with a spring clamp. They also make great oversize paperclips for plans or holding plans onto a tabletop.

8. Paul says:

Rick Says: “…..

Heh, yeah I know about that deal, I use needlenosed Vise-Grips to hold the blade to the bottom wheel myself. It makes more sense to hold the blade to the bottom wheel, being as the tensioning knob is by the top wheel. And you can hold the blade to the top wheel by hand, while you tension it up. It’d be quite a stretch to hold the blade on the bottom wheel by hand while tensioning it. Sounds like a sure fire way to get a faceful of blade to me!

Rick Says:

Oh I do have some 3 way edging clamps. I can’t quite see how spring clamps would work too well to do edging really.

Here’s 3 way edging clamps. Maybe this is another submit a tool item?

nrChris Says:

I roll up is it? My bandsaw blades and keep them on a shelf.

I never use curly paper plans. I draw my plans on flat paper then keep them that way.

If I ever got into laminating I would imagine that spring clamps are all of that and a bag of chips there. It just isn’t something I’ve ever done though. Maybe when I make that plywood pocket yacht someday …

9. James says:

I have a bag of a dozen or so cheap plastic spring clamps that I only use occasionally. I think it cost me about $10. They’re good for light holding tasks, but I don’t trust them to hold anything I’m going to use a tool on.

Bar clamps, however, are gold. Princess Auto sells various sizes for 2-5 bucks. Last week, the 24″ ones were $2.79 each. A while back when I was building my workbench, I ran out of clamps and the 12″ ones were on sale for under $2 so I ran over and bought all of the ones they had on the shelf, except for one which didn’t slide very well.

Also, don’t bother with cheap Quick-Grip knockoffs. None of the ones I’ve had could come close in terms of gripping power. I’ve even had a few snap into pieces when I treated them like my real ones.

10. Paul says:

James Says:

Well James I have the real thing, and I happen to like my knock offs better. But I could imagine that there may be knock off Quik-Grips of lesser quality than the ones I have.

11. TimG says:

I bought the ones on sale at Princess Auto last week as well. You can’t beat the price for those!! I mean the technology isn’t rocket science and I’m not sure I could really tell the difference in the ‘build’ quality of such a design.

Great tool, as somebody above said ‘can never have enough clamps’! Also, the metal ones are much better thant he ‘quick grip’ plastic ones as they can be used for metal work too!

Tim

12. Eric says:

I just went to go order the clamp set from woodcraft and noticed that they’re doing a free ground shipping promotion for valentines day. If you’re going to order a set of clamps, today seems like a good day to do it.

13. Michael says:

Doh! I just ordered them yesterday, guess I missed out on the free ground shipping.