colt11.jpg

In Use

After checking the bit to the wood to make sure our height was set correctly, we decided crank it up and give it a go. We found that the Colt spins to life in a hell of a hurry, so its best to grab a good hold before you kick the switch on.  It’s not that the unit is uncontrollable, it’s just that when you turn it on, you just kicked over a 35,000 rpm gyroscope.  You can also feel some force near the base that acts against yours, so be sure to keep a good grip on the finger pockets at the base.  We found that holding it like this keeps it pressed to the surface of the wood without difficulty.

colt12.jpg

The only other thing to remember at all times is the direction of the motor’s spin.  Much like steering a skidding car, always go into the spin.  Bosch has thoughtfully provided an arrow to let you know which way the bit is spinning in case you get turned around.

colt13.jpg

The Colt’s small size made for easy handling and good control.  We were put off by the lack of side handles at first, but the ease of control made it clear that they’re not necessary.  Once the Colt hit its hardwood target, there wasn’t any stopping this charging blue pony.  It cleanly ripped up oak at almost any speed we cared to push it.

colt14.jpg colt15.jpg

Conclusion

colt16.jpg

We were impressed all ’round with the Colt.  For a palm router, it proved to have considerable power and was very well-mannered in a straight line or around corners.  The fit and finish of the motor casing and controls spoke of its high quality feel, and even after we accidentally dropped it off the work bench, the Colt didn’t suffer a scratch.

While it is one if the most expensive palm routers around, you really do get what you pay for.  The Colt brings solid, reliable power and is an excellent trim router capable of going the distance in any pro or DIYer’s shop.

Colt Palm Router [Bosch]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

pages: 1 2

6 Responses to Hands-On: The Bosch Colt Variable Speed Palm Router

1. Jeff T says:

There isn’t anything Bosch that I’ve had that wasn’t top notch. I still wish I had my old jigsaw. This one was on my list though. They say one of the big problems with the other one I was looking at – the Ridgid, is that the lock-down for the height setting literally rattles itself too much, and depth changes as you move the tool while it’s on. I was recommended the Colt by everyone I have asked about a good trim router, no matter who they were.

Sometimes I think Bosch tools are very unassuming and normal looking, but light up when you pick one up and turn it on.

My $.02

2. nrChris says:

As I have mentioned, I am in the market for a router–and I have been eying this one. I have one coming to me for free, but it won’t be until April. So in the interim, I was looking for a small palm style router that would compliment the 2 HP one I am getting. So this has been on the short list, and I almost dropped the coin for one the other day–I need to edge a small piece for a tabletop at our new house–but someone loaned me an old Rockwell for the time being.

Good to see that I would not have gone wrong / won’t go wrong in the future when I do pick one of these up. Thanks for the review.

3. Paul says:

You cannot go wrong with Bosch tools. So far I have always found them to be a cut above everyone else. I buy stuff from other manufacturers because I donno maybe I don’t want it to seem like I am playing favorites or am missing out on something. But Bosch always seems like the best to me. Their color scheme does seem a bit ho hum to me. Like I really care what it looks like though!

You’ll pay a premium, and there really are no deals, but years down the road you’ll never regret the decision that you bought Bosch.

4. Phillip says:

I’ve always had good experiences with Bosch, and this one is on my wish list. Though I do hope that someday Bosch outfits this little jewel with a plunge base in addition to a full complement of laminate trimmer bases.

5. Chris Murray says:

If you decide to buy this router, make sure you get the kit. The kit comes with a ton of accessories for the colt that makes it even more useful. I have this router and a Bocsh 1617EVSPK 2 1/4 HP router and both are absolutely stellar.

There are sometimes when my 1617 is too big, and I’m glad there is another bosch tool in my shop thats smaller, and able to do the same job.

6. Kevin Lam says:

Darn. I just bought a Ridgid trimmer and only now Home Depot Canada is selling this unit! I can probably live with the Ridgid (I got it for $60 Cdn cheaper than the Bosch sells for). I’ll have to watch the depth issue.

They also have the fixed-speed version as a special purchase right now for $99 Cdn.