stubbydrivers.jpg

Long ago (when I didn’t know any better) I used to laugh at stubby screwdrivers when my Dad would send me to the toolbox to fetch one for some project or another.  I didn’t understand how wrong I was ’till later in life when I was working my own projects.

You just need these.  Seriously.  When a project calls for them, nothing else will work.  Stubby or ‘mini’ drivers range in length from 3/4” to 2”.  After having need of them more and more, I finally purchased several kinds from different manufacturers just so I had some variety (in size and girth) to fit in whatever crazy-ass-sized space I end up having to deal with.

Spring the $2 at the local big box to have a few of these around.  You’re going to need them bad one day and it’s better to get them now instead of when you’ll have to drop everything and run to the store for ’em.

Street Pricing [Froogle]

9 Responses to Finds: Stubby Drivers

1. nrChris says:

The ones featured in this post are aesthetically really pleasing–I have an ugly clear and red Craftsman set–maybe I will order these. My only concern is that they only appear on eBay and are unbranded. This is an area where look of the tool really should not matter. But it does.

2. Randy says:

I was looking at these in my toolbox yesterday and thinking ” I should submit those to Toolmonger. They really are useful when you need one.” Funny. Anyway, I was also thinking about how it would be cool to have the micro stubby handle with a hex bit socket in it. Then you could swap in any size or style bit that you needed. If anyone wants to make these, I only want 51% of the profits for having such an awesome idea.

3. bruce says:

I have several stubby drivers that came in screwdriver sets. I rarely if ever use one.

What are you doing that causes you to say that having need of them more and more that you purchased several different kinds from different manufactures?

4. Randy says:

Most sets don’t include these micro stubbies. I have both kinds, and will agree that I’d rather use a normal screwdriver. However, if you ever REALLY need a stubby or microstubby, you know it.

I originally bought mine to install speakers in the rear deck of my car. Small space and right against the glass. I only had about 1″ to work in. Normal stubby wouldn’t work, and the screw was too small for an angled screwdriver. The only tool that could get into the space and do the job was a micro stubby. I guess a ratcheting wrench with a hex bit might be able to do it now too, but those weren’t around then.

5. Scott says:

In my experience, an offset driver or the ratcheting 1/4 inch set that Craftsman sells, seems to work better. As an electrician, I have used the ratcheting many times due to tight clearances between equipment enclosures, multiple conduit runs, etc.

Specialty tools; when you don’t need them they are worthless; when you do, you would sell your soul to the devil for them!

6. Randy says:

Robin…close, but not quite. That one is about 3.5″ in length. I have a replaceable bit one that is pretty close to that (and it ratchets too!). I was talking about a microstubby, which is closer to 1” in total length. I admit, it’s a specialty tool. Even at 51%, I don’t expect to make much on the deal.

7. MosleyH says:

I have some of the stubbies pictured, standard, philips and torx. I have to admit though, that I find myself using one that I got at sears more often:

(hit ENLARGE in the photo frame for a picture)

At many sears stores, these are sold individually for $1.99 or so, usually in a big jar or bowl near the cash register. I find that being able to pick a specific size bit, and the knurled grip make them superior, IMHO, to the regular stubbies. Your mileage may vary. . .

8. Randy says:

MosleyH,
    Those look pretty good. If you can swap the bit, they are just what I was talking about.