screwhose-clamps.jpg

As you may have noticed we’re have been in the throes of an F150 heater core replacement.  It’s not a fun job (by any definition of those words), however it has taught us a few lessons.  For example, after facing the pinch-apart-style clamps located at the back of the firewall — and after quite a few miles, often facing the firewall, too — we now prefer the screw-type hose clamps.  Really prefer them.

We’re sure there be disagreements, but after laying across the engine bay struggling with a backwards-facing pinch-type on one of the heater hoses (that seemed cemented into place by years of grime and road dirt), the word clamp became a four letter word.

Conversely the screw type clamp on the other hose required only a 2 foot slotted screwdriver and about 3 minutes to remove in a jiffy.

What’s the lesson here?  Spend an extra buck on some metal screw type hose clamps and save yourself hassle later on down the road.  (Literally.)

Street Pricing starts at around $2 for a pack of 2.

Street Pricing [Froogle]

10 Responses to Finds: Screw-Type Metal Hose Clamps

1. Roscoe says:

Even better, use a nut driver to torque down those same screw-type hose clamps and it’s a lot easier.

2. nrChris says:

I used some large versions of this to hold on a dryer hose which was constantly coming off of the wall mount. Not sure how these constitute a find, I just presumed that they were as common as drywall screws.

3. Jeff T says:

I like these ones too, but I always tend to over-torque them. That had to be a serious pain in the arse with those springy-clamps facing the opposite direction. That’s pretty tough, man. That would make me want to just rip that damned hose off I’d be so pissed.

4. Cybergibbons says:

The type of clips you have pictured, with the ladder style cut-out band, tend to be fairly weak when tightening, at least in my experience. Especially cheap, Chinese made ones out of “stainless” steel. Genuine Jubilee clips, with a pressed worm in the band, don’t cost significantly more and are much, much stronger.

5. Randy says:

Man, we’re getting back to basics. Seriously though, these rock, and are super useful to have a bunch of sizes around the house. I have used them to “fix” all kinds of stuff. They are much tougher than zip ties, and you can put some real force on them if you need to.

The spring clamps suck, and cause much profanity when I am forced to deal with one (until I replace it with one of these.)

6. Stuart says:

Lee Valley sell larger ‘offset’ ones designed for spiral wound hoses: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=53842&cat=1,42401

They have some which have a plastic handle for hand tightening:

Stuart

7. bruce says:

i wouldn’t rate these as a find but as a better product

8. Paul says:

My old Volvos had really nice high pressure hose clamps without the through cutouts in the bands. You should look and try to get some. They don’t cut through the hoses like the style you picured here can do.

9. Abe says:

Gator makes a really nice hose clamp. I’ve gotten spoiled to them so much that I won’t use any other. The website is dated but the info is still good. ttp://www.gatorbrand.com/features.html You can get these at http://www.powerhouseproducts.com