post-weldingblanket.jpg

I’m pretty positive that this would be lousy for the use in the picture above — I’d never trust my car’s finish to it — but I picked one up anyway when I found it on sale for $10.  (The standard price is still only $20.)  It’s actually quite handy around the shop, more for grinding than welding.

It’s also not too bad to throw underneath your makeshift welding table if you’re welding in a shop with an epoxied floor — like the Toolmonger shop.  The epoxy coating is great for handling chemicals and spills — they wipe right up — but a little piece of slag’ll burn the epoxy.  While the ‘blanket doesn’t always stop the slag, it does take most of the energy out, which does the job.

Like so many HF tools, it doesn’t really full-on do what it says on the package, but it’s still a decent deal when you consider what it does do vs. its price.

6′ x 6′ Welding Blanket [Harbor Freight]

6 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: A 6′ x 6′ Welding Blanket

1. eschoendorff says:

I have one of those welding blankets, but I haven’t used it yet. I have heard form others that spatter will go right through them, though. Just beware!

2. nrChris says:

We are getting a Harbor Freight store in Rhode Island, I can’t wait for it to open. Maybe I’ll use one of those blankets to resurface the workbench for my bench grinder–at the ten dollar price point, it would certainly be worth doing.

3. Roscoe says:

1/4″ plywood anyone?

4. bruce says:

The expensive welding blankets sold from the welding supply houses only protect to a certain extent. I guess the one from harbor freight would be better than nothing for around the house use. I would think it would be good for grinding sparks. The ones I’ve used on construction projects are about 3/8″ thick and you have to keep an eye on the because they will burn through, especially if used on the floor. It’s always a good idea to keep some water availible to put on any hot slag that lays on the blanket.

like mentioned above plywood works well and cardboard will work in a pinch especially if you wet the cardboard. On the floor plywood works best unless you are laying on it because the slag will roll on the plywood and of course stop when it gets under you. LOL!

5. Chuck Cage says:

I use this in the same way I use a longsleeve cotton shirt for “protection” during a quick weld; it’s not going to stop the slag, but it does give the slag a chance to burn out some of its energy before it comes in contact with anything else.

re: plywood — Heck, yeah! We keep a 4′ x 4′ sheet (burn marks and all) in the shop just for that. But sometimes I can’t cram it in a place I want to protect.

I think the biggest difference between this cheap-o “welding blanket” and most of the other fabric solutions you might improvise is that it’s slightly less likely to catch fire. (But just slightly.)

6. Paul says:

I have a piece of asbestos cloth I use. Yeah yeah it is really bad for your health or so I’ve heard. Then again so is burning up I guess. I have a leather apron that seems to work fairly well too for stopping welding sparks. I remember reading about some chemical that treats cloth to make if flame retardant. Supposeldy welders use it on their clothing or something. It might be worthwhile to look into if someone needs the feature.