post-hftorque.jpg

Jeremy writes: “Everyone has a 3/8″ drive torque wrench right?  And most also have a 1/2″ one, too.  But I’ll wager a guess that most DO NOT have a 1/4″ drive torque wrench.  I suspect the typical price of one is prohibitive for most people.  It’s very hard to find one under $125 unless you go to Harbor Freight.  I bought one a few years back and (skeptical of the quality) I put it on the torque analyzer at work.  It was better then 3% accuracy.  Now I have something for all those little fasteners that love to strip.”

I just added one of these to my list for my next HF shopping trip.  (Did I mention that there are two HF stores within an hour of here?  Dangerous.)

1/4″ Square Drive Torque Wrench [Harbor Freight]

7 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: HF’s 1/4″-Drive Torque Wrench

1. eschoendorff says:

I have that wrench. Never used it, though…. It’s still hanging out in the box in my garage somewhere….

2. Rick says:

I’ve got the same wrench in 3/8 inch… glad to see it’s relatively accurate.
    Yes, I’m too cheap to spring $100 for a torque wrench that I’d use 2 or 3 times a year. If that.

3. Jeff T says:

This makes my torque wrench selection that much easier… I always wondered if I could get away with HF torque wrenches. I get everything else there just about – car related anyways. I too, am cheap.

4. nrChris says:

No, I don’t have one, but my weak B&D cordless screwdriver set on the lowest setting doesn’t have the balls to strip anything–admittedly there is no torque reading, but it will get most things “tight eough”. So that is the better option for me.

5. Brian C. says:

2 stores? I have 4 within an hour – no wonder I’m broke! To be honest, I have had the occasion to torque down a 1/4″ drive before – but I just used an adapter on my 3/8″ wrench. As nrChris said: “So that is the better option for me.”

Although, now that you mention it… $30 for a torque wrench 10″ long? Hmmm…

6. Rob says:

I was wondering, was the error 3% across the range or just at one random point that it was tested at? The other thing I would worry about, is how long will they stay accurate? Even the Snap-on models have to be recalibrated every so often. And finally a tip. When you store your click type torque wrenches, remember to set them at zero before putting them away, they’ll stay in calibration much longer.

7. Michael says:

Has anybody bought the 1/2 Harbour Freight for sale price of $11.99

I was wondering if it was accurate?

Thanks,