post-lockpick.jpg

Jonathan writes: “This is Dyno’s retractable lockpick and torque wrench set.  I don’t know anything about picking locks, but when I locked my keys in my new file cabinet — don’t ask — I decided to get a lock pick instead of sending a company-wide email to see if anyone else had the same key code.  I mail-ordered this — mine came from harbor freight — and had my file cabinet open in 5 minutes.  Be careful: they’re illegal to own in some states, but thankfully not mine.  Having a decent lock pick (and knowing how to use it) should probably be a job requirement for anyone in building operations and facilities management.”

The Kwick Pick’s available from Hardland America for $20, which seems to be one of the best prices around, though it’s available via a variety of vendors on Froogle.

Don’t forget to make sure this is legal in your locale!

The Dyno Kwick Pick [Heartland America]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

8 Responses to Reader Finds: Dyno’s Kwick Pick

1. Fong says:

I recently read about how a 12 year old girl with no lock picking experience was taught how to pick a lock by “bumping”. All that’s needed is a 999 key (a blank with all teeth cut at maximum and a recessed shoulder) and a mallot. Google “bumping” for countless instructional videos everywhere. It’s time to change those locks.

2. In my experience, anybody with a small flathead screwdriver for torque and an unbent paper clip to rake the tumblers can unlock any normal filing cabinet in a couple of minutes. That’s how long it took me.

I’d never picked a lock before, but I saw no reason to make this clear to my officemates, who now regarded me as a person who would clearly be played by the young David Niven in the movie of his life.

3. nrChris says:

Fong is right. For a while you could pickup a set of “bump keys” on eBay in the five major manufacturer’s key blank. I bought a set, mostly on a whim. I was able to pick my office door, which is one of the industrial Kwiksets. I have no bad intentions, so they are hidden away in an envelope–but maybe one day the bump keys will save my behind.

Not sure that you could order a bump key from most cabinet manufacturers, and certainly most locksmiths in the know won’t make sets. Check eBay, maybe they are back on there.

4. Stitch says:

Where would we go to find out if this is legal where we live? I’m not sure that I’d want to go to my local police station and inquire. Even if it’s legal, they’d probably keep an extra close eye on me for speeding.

5. Cybergibbons says:

Bumping smaller, less precision locks such as those found on filing cabinets and desks isn’t really possible. Nearly all of them are either easy to pick, or just order a replacement after using a large screwdriver to twist it out.

6. Riskable says:

Hmm… I submitted a lengthy comment answering everyone’s questions and offering lots of insight into this tool but it didn’t post. Too long perhaps? Too many links? Hopefully it is just waiting in moderation, but a message indicating as such would be helpful.

-Riskable
    “I have a license to kill -9”

7. Tom says:

oh the fun of having a lockpick…..

8. MikeSac says:

It’s much more fun to make your own lockpicks from old hacksaw blades. There’s loads of info around on this sort of thing, and it just seems like a prudent skill to have.