minichopsaw.jpg

You’ve gotta love Proxxon’s small tools.  Many of their power tools serve purposes that in the past you’d have done entirely by hand.  Take, for example, their Mini Miter Chop Saw.  It’s another specialized tool that could be a great addition if constant trim miter and chop saw work is the norm in your workshop. It’s designed for small scale precise work — and we mean small scale: the base measures 9″ x 9″ and the entire unit weighs in at around 14 lbs.

It features a blade speed of 4,000 rpm, and the miter table rotates 45 degrees both ways from and 90 degree center with indent stops every 15 degrees.  It also sports a steel vise with self-centering clamps and a V groove for round stock — like the copper tubing you see in the picture.

Cutting capacity varies, of course, by the shape of the stock but ranges from 3/8″ x 2-9/16″ to 1″ x 1″ at 90 degrees, and from 3/16 x 1-13/32″ to 3/4 x 11/16″ at 45 degrees.

It looks like a versatile little unit if you’re into small projects.  Street pricing starts at $198

Mini Miter Chop Saw [Proxxon]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

14 Responses to Finds: Mini Miter Chop Saw

1. nrChris says:

That is a lot of money for something so small. But if I were making tons of picture frames or doll houses, I would be all over it. Follow the link to the Proxxon website–I was unfamiliar with their products–but the micro-planer goes onto my short list. (No pun intended!)

I could not find what size blades this saw accepts though–hopefully it is one of the smaller standard sizes. Anyone know?

2. TimG says:

Too small! If I had that much money (AND SPACE) to spend on tons of ‘specialty’ tools I’d be pretty darn well off. I’m all about multi-taskers!!

Less space, less money (one quality tool instead of two low quality tools).

Neat though I guess.

Tim

3. Paul says:

I have to echo the thoughts of the other commenters of this posting. I would rather have one chop saw that could do it all than this miniture. I’d take a 14″ compound slide anyday over this gadget. Undersized tools are one of my pet peeves. Big tools can do small work, but all too often small tools are pressed into service to do work beyond their capacities.

4. Tyrone says:

Would this work well for cutting wood to make picture frames, perhaps?

5. Michael says:

Proxxon tools are meant to be sold to people who build models. By no means are they sold as replacements for larger tools. They are specialized tools meant for specific tasks. They aren’t for general workshop use. Their cutting tools are designed so that you’re cuts are splinter free, something full sized tools can’t accomplish well on small scale pieces of wood. So if you’re making a 1/4 scale model of the Kittyhawk, or Fallingwater look into them. If you don’t you might want to look elsewhere. I personally don’t have enough tools (I love specialized tools, I’d rather have a cluttered shop than to hack at a job) so I’ve been eyeing their lathe and planer myself.
    Professional frame makers seem to prefer guillotine type cutter’s, but they start at close to $275 for a little one to over $1500 for a shop quality one. The Proxxon would be a more versatile tool, although it might not have the same “professional” quality to the miter. I would chose the versatility.

6. Paul says:

Hey Michael I hate to break it to you but big shop tools are also capable of doing precision work too. The biggest mistake you can make too is to buy too small a lathe. Ask anyone who owns a lathe or six, and they should all tell you the same thing. Buy the biggest lathe that you can afford, move, house, and you’ll never regret the decision. Miniature tools are toys, unless you face size clearance issues with some sort of an odd job. This scenario should never come to pass though with fixed machine tools.

Large quality machines can do everything that miniature machines can do, and more. In the world of fixed machine tools less is never more. Any limitations you are imposing onto full sized fixed machine tools are merely you projecting your own inadequacies onto the tool.

“Their cutting tools are designed so that you’re cuts are splinter free, something full sized tools can’t accomplish well on small scale pieces of wood.” (sic)

Ah, I don’t think so there tiger. You can get high quality precision blades for full sized machines. I’d bet better quality than you can for this mighty mite toy of a Proxxon. Does Forrest make blades for it? Doesn’t look like it to me. Freud doesn’t seem to make 80mm saw blades either. Go right ahead and tell Forrest that there are smoother cutting blades out there than they make. But don’t forget to pack a spatula to scrape them off the ceiling, because that is right where you’ll put them when you utter such heresy to them.

Anyways go for it. Your shop will be cluttered with a whole range of limited machines, then real ones as you realize what machine work actually takes to do. That, and there’ll just be all the more real machines out there for guys like me.

7. DennisL says:

I usually avoid religious debates such as this is becomming, but I have to weigh in on the side of the Proxxon tools. I don’t buy the idea that Big = Professional and Small = Toy. If that were true,your dentist would use a jackhammer in your mouth instead of the little bitty handpiece. I have a Proxxon scrollsaw that I bought for cutting thin copper and silver for jewelry projects. I’d never try that with my “professional” band saw or reciprocating saw.

8. Ritch B. says:

Hi Paul: Have you ever tried to “precision saw to length” small aluminum extrusions with thin wall cross-sections?

I just purchased a Proxxon Miter Saw and will make minor changes to it to adapt it for that usage. If you try to cut thin wall extrusion on the larger type equiment you refer to, better count those fingers when you get done. You will either loose a finger or fill those fingers with burrs or just plain loose the parts in all the large nooks and crannies of the large tool. The Proxxon concept is fantastic especially with the micro adjustment for adjusting the cut length by moving the complete saw head. A quiet cut off saw is also extremely unique!

Saw blade problem? you are partially correct when it comes to “cabide tipped” types, however, a vast assortment of hi quality solid carbide & high speed type blades are available through MSC and McMaster Carr. Many of them would be fine for any non-ferrous metal, plastic or even wood.

In the world of machine shops, competent shops only bid work that “fits” in size and capability to their shop and then match that task to the machine tool that will efficiently produce the part in question. For instance, choose which machine to make a 1/4″ diam shaft on, a small bench top lath, a hardinge toolroom lath, a Mori Seiki SL-403 CNC turning center. If you choose the Mori, you loose big time. Want to fabricate a prototype brake drum for your hummer and your choice is again the SL-403 or a 15″ manual LeBlond? Again, you would probably do a prototype on the LeBlond and the production on the SL-403.

My point Paul is that every piece of equipment, weather hobby type or high end industrial type, has a size & performance range of efficiency or it would not make it on, nor stay on the market at any price. Please take my comment constructively as that is how it is intended.

Sincerly & been doing this machine shop thing for over 40 years,
    Ritch B.

9. stacey says:

I am totally getting this. I’m a multi-media artist with a fear of power tools, and a very small studio. I’m sick to death of my cross-cut handsaw and mitre box, so this Proxxon model is a dream come true.

10. Natalie says:

Hey, guys, I sure appreciate all your comments about tools. Very helpful. I wish I had your skills to turn out fine work on the big bad “real” thing, but the truth is, on the small miniatures and picture frames that I turn out, I end up with a mess (splinters, splintered work, burrs, rough cuts, etc), so this tool is an absolute dream come true! And until the day comes that I am not living in my daughter’s home in one room, I do not have room for large tools anyway. Someday. I really agree with the ideas shared that tool size and job size go together.

11. Doug says:

Paying particular attention to Rich B.’s comments, with 40 years in the profession. For a very special application, I need to make mitered cuts on titanium tubing, with finished pieces looking like tapered rings. In other words, the mitered cuts alternate, producing pieces which are .125″ on the narrow side, and about .030″ on the wide side. Titanium is very expensive and while a 7″ or 14″ chop saw can do the work, the fat .125″ kerf of a resin bonded cut off wheel would eat at least 25% or 30 % of this extremely expensive material. I bought a bunch of 4″ cut off wheels recently, with 1/32″ kerf (thickness). I was going to fab up a home made cut off saw for these wheels with a Milwaukee grinder, but found this $200 Proxxon tool which seems like it’ll do the job. A Wilton mini cut off saw is $600, and doesn’t have the adjustable, integral stop, and integral miter table of the Proxxon tool.

12. Ben says:

It all depends on what you are doing. We make high precision turned wood pens here in Hawaii and would not trade this little saw for the world. We have some very specific requirements that a large saw just does not seem to be able to replicate (at least not the ones we have tried to date). We work with some rather expensive woods and wastage due to blade thickness is one of our concerns. The small, thin blade on this saw is perfect for our application. I have also been able to achieve near glassy cut faces which is important for the laminating work we do. Lastly, much of our work is hand-held due to size. I am comfortable hand-holding the work pieces much closer to this little saw than I would be with a larger tool. We have made some modification to the working base which have made the tool much more useful. Let us know if you are interested and we can send along pictures (pens@stoppingbywoods.net).

13. Paolo says:

It is not only a matter of big or small, it ia a matter of noise: Proxxon tools are for hobbies and are intended to be use in the house, while sitting at your desk. Their advantage is the low noise (try to use on and off a table saw or a miter saw at night with your wife watching tv in the next room and see how fast you’re going to sleep on the couch) and low speed which helps keeping saw dust under control. They can be used without requiring a specific room/shop. I personally had to deal with the noise problem using my airbrush at night: even a 0.5 hp compressor was way too noisy (every time it kicked in, the dogs would start barking). I modified it replacing the motor/compressor with the compressor of an old refrigerator: now I have to touch the motor to check if it is running…..

14. Michael Sanborn says:

I’m looking for a mini cut off saw to cut pen blanks. The blade has to be able to cut 1-1/2″ material. Do you have one?