post-alligatorboard.jpg

No doubt inspired by our recent Hot or Not post on pegboard, Roscoe writes: “I hate regular fiber-board pegboard, but Alligator Board is a brand of metal pegboard that I personally like.  The big advantage to metal is that the hooks don’t pull through the board when overloaded, tearing out the holes.  Two other big advantages to this product are that it is sold in stainless steel — so it’ll look sharp for a long time — and it has a pre-formed edge on it so no furring strips are necessary to install it.  It isn’t real cheap compared with pegboard, but I think it’s worth it for a couple pieces to hang horizontally above a workbench.  Don’t forget the huge time-savings in not cutting a 4×8 sheet down or buying and cutting furring strips.  Alligator even includes stainless screws, so installation is quick and easy: all you’ll need is a screw gun and a level.”

Nice stuff!  The product site suggests that it’s “ideal for restaurants and medical facilities,” which sounds cool to me.  And it’s not all that incredibly expensive at $70 for two 16″x32″ pieces.  Yeah, that’s more than standard pegboard, but not out of the realm of reasonability.

A quick Froogle search shows that metal pegboard’s also available from a variety of sources, including at least one place that sells a 2′ x 4′ aluminum version for $70 as well.  It looks like there’s some selection available if this is the way you want to go.

Pre-Formed Metal Pegboard [Alligator Board]
Street Pricing (Metal Pegboard) [Froogle]

10 Responses to Reader Find: Alligator Board

1. nrChris says:

Again, along with the cheap tools, I am going to stick with my cheap pegboard–a new 4’x8′ sheet every time a tool rips out will still cost 5x or 6x less than the aluminum or stainless alternatives.

(I have yet to have a tragic break through resulting in a need for a replacement sheet.)

But the WOW factor of these probably would attract me if not for the price.

2. Cybergibbons says:

I didn’t realise that you got fibreboard pegboard… I’ve only ever seen metal ones…

3. James B says:

They use metal pegboards in some of the labs where I work. They look nice and durable, but the weakest point are still those flimsy hooks and plastic bins. I like the cheap stuff at home, it covers the open studs and insulation in that part of my shop.

4. Jeff T says:

What about putting something like epoxy paint on fiberboard pegboard? Would that make it stronger? 2 16×32 sheets @ $70?! There’s no way I could ever justify that on pegboard. I don’t know about you guys! That won’t even cover part of a wall, man.

5. Paul says:

I hate pegboard. It looks sloppy, the pegs fall out. and even if it did work who wants to look at a bunch of crap hanging all over the walls? Your stuff gets all dirty and dusty up there, and what if god forbid you popped a welding spark into the wall? Just get a toolbox and leave the walls solid. I guess people go with pegboard because it is cheap crap, and it seems like a good idea at the time.

6. benjamen says:

People keep complaining about pegs falling out. If you don’t like pegboard don’t use it. Just ignore these posts. Some people find pegboard handy. Pegboard has its uses. Yes stuff will get dirty. I like some of my tools in the open where I can just grab them. I like toolboxes and tool cases and cabinets too.

I have found that if you use 1/4″ pegboard the pegs stay in much better. It also has much more holding power than 1/8″.

One disadvantage of a toolbox is that over time with opening and closing you nice neat drawers become a mess, yes I know you can cut out foam inserts and such to keep your tools in place, but I actually like to spend time using my tools rather than building them a home. Pegboard lets me do that nicely.

7. Michael says:

Yea, I completely agree with nrChris. These look nice, but the price is *really* unattractive. These will just have to go on the wishlist with a stainless steel oven exhaust hood (for when I’m rich and famous, or just rich).

8. Paul says:

Replying to benjamen the pegboard fan here. So, do you think that your pegboard has a chance of ever making it into the Smithsonian? If you must hang your tools on the wall for easy access do it right!

I’ve spent a fair bit of time
    setting my workshop up and most people see the value of putting a bit of effort into one’s shop setup. All too often I have seen examples of poorly planned and executed shop setups though. benjamen are you one of those slap dash types? Or in the case of pegboard maybe a dot dot type? Say it isn’t so!

To me I find pegboard to be just the epitome of cookie cutter anal retention. Real anal retention I can appreciate, but not the pegboard variety. Pegboard has always struck me as the last bastion of the weekend warrior tool neophyte. Moving out of the pegboard set and onto more sound tool storage solutions is a rite of passage into the realm of hardcore tool nuts.

When I think of pegboard there are a few images that immediately spring to my mind. Removing the tool and watching the hook fall to the ground. Now my back aches with the thought of having to bend over to retrieve the hook. My mind reels at the thought of having to replace the hook in its proper hole! Honestly in the name of efficiency shouldn’t one dispense with the pegboard, and simply strew one’s tool about the floor?

The magic marker outline spaz. I have never done this but I have seen it. There is just something generally disturbing about the magic marker outline spaz to me. I don’t drink with that sort of person. Of course the number one horrible pegboard vision is the blown out hole scenario. When you hang too manly a tool and you experience the dreaded pegboard blowout situation. This is the gaffe that just keeps on glaring.

Maybe I just find it basically wrong that a sheetgood should be completely perforated? Almost as if a child got a hold of a drill and just went crazy with it going gee, look how easy it is to put holes into this cheesy material. Mindless holes that serve no purpose, to what end? Someone should do a study of just how many pegboard holes never have anything in them. I find what that suggests to me difficult to articulate, but oddly disquieting to me none the less.

A sullen reminder, a social commentary if you will, of the post industrial society that we all find ourselves in. Where so much is manufactured for no real function. Those holes appear to mock me, making light of any thought I might possess of having a true destiny, a purpose, a reason to exist. Leading me down a path of doubt and despair. Could I possibly be as devoid of meaning as an unused pegboard hole? No, I just don’t like pegboard.

And yes, if Toolnuts Anonymous existed I’d be a card carrying member of the society. Pegboard just irks me in a very deep level. One could go on to say that it is one of those hotbutton issues with me. *Shudder* pegboard! It simply smacks so much of yes I care, no I really don’t to this toolmonger.

9. Steve D says:

I’ve used perforated metal pegboard in the past with good results. These board are primarily used for the most common go-to tools for the shop….combination wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.

The brand I used in the past was by Facom of France…they have a nice assortment of hooks and clips to accomodate just about any hand tool. Unfortunately, the clips can easily run 2-4 times the cost of the boards themselves.

I’ve removed the wall mounted pegboards and reworked my shop tools storage with modular cabinets. The tools stay cleaner and can be locked up at the end of the day and every tool has its place in the drawer. There are some pictures at http://www.ultimategarage.com/homegarage/UltGar2y-2.htm that show the shop with pegboard and reworked without it. Drawer storage detail can be seen at http://www.ultimategarage.com/storage/mw900-fac1.htm .

Steve D

10. dbxtpgr yjgm says:

iauvzqcph tvfm trck rtmilc okplsi htjscwpg bxihnfmew