skilblades.jpg

If you’re a part-time woodworker you probably don’t have dozens of spare jigsaw blades just sitting around.  And staring at the selection of jigsaw blades wondering how many and which ones you’re gonna need for a project sucks. So for those of us who want everything “just to be sure” (to avoid the dreaded second trip), Skil offers their 13-piece U-shank multi-pack.

In the multi-pack, Skil thoughtfully stuffed two or three of each type of blade they make into a single package for the decision impaired (or the over-prepared). The pack contains a variety of blades: wood smooth cut, wood fine cut, multi-purpose wood, wood fast cut, metal fast cut, and two “The Ugly” blades for super fast rough cuts.

Each blade is clearly marked near the top to let you know what type it is, and there’s a chart on the back for the uninformed that covers the purposes best suited for each blade type.

For $8, why not have ’em all?  Just remember this good rule of thumb: the bigger the teeth, the thicker the material it’s good for.

13pc U-Shank Blades [Skil]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

6 Responses to Finds: 13pc U-Shank Blades

1. Bruce says:

What a deal! Now there’s something I can use. I rarely use a jig saw and when I do I have to go out and get a blade. This pack has a couple of useful blades for most situations. It would also be useful as a way to keep inventory. When you use one blade the next time you are at the local big box store you know what kind to buy to keep your inventory up to date.

2. nrChris says:

I have a similar problem–I have a TON of jigsaw blades. And being relatively new at this, I am not always sure of which blade to use for the application. I know experience will help me with this, but I would have been better off with a nicely labelled starter set. One of my upcoming projects will have to be putting my myriad blades into some meaningful order–if nothing more than by rough and fine cut.

3. Paul says:

Are these blades anygood? I usually use Bosch blades made in Switzerland. I got a bunch but could always use more I guess.

4. Eli says:

I have an ‘ugly’ blade for my sawzall. It’s great for tree pruning, don’t need a chainsaw.

5. Roscoe says:

Because it’s so handy to have a bunch of blades for jig-saws and sawzalls handy, they are two tools that I insist on buying with a case. Dump all your extra blades in the case with the tool, and if you’ve got the saw, you’ve got extra blades. Saves lots of frustration and trips back to the shop when you snap a blade. Go ahead and leave a dedicated old screw driver or allen wrench in the case if your saw needs one to change the blade.

6. James says:

These look like the same blades that came with my $20 Skil jigsaw. They work, but they won’t perform or last like more expensive blades. I’ve been using Vermont American bi-metal blades for my jig and reciprocating saws and I’ve been pretty happy with them.

Paul: I haven’t tried them, but I’m sure Bosch blades would perform better. Their jigsaws seem to get excellent reviews.

Eli: You’re not alone. I maintain 5 trees with my reciprocating saw, a bowsaw, and a lopper. I’d like to get a chainsaw, but I don’t actually need one.