woodburningkit.jpg

When I realized I needed to pick up a present for my youngest nephew’s birthday party the other day, I figured a wood burning kit would be just the thing.  I received one when I was his age and had a blast with it.  Every block of wood I could find had my name or dragster emblazed on its side.  His parents weren’t so thrilled, though.  When he opened it, they looked at him like he was holding a live hand grenade.

It was a sweet kit, too.  It had a wood burning pen with an on/off switch and plenty of construction stuff like wood slats, sandpaper, cork glue, and leather strips plus paint and a paint brush — all for about $18.  Together with some Mom or Dad supervision — like I had — the kid could be cranking out coolness in no time.

But it was no go.  His Mom snatched that bad boy away so quick he hardly had time to say “wow!”  Then Mom followed it up with a “you’ll burn the house down” and that was the end of that.

I know I’m headed for a Christmas Story quote here, but it really does bug me.  How can the next generation learn — and learn to love — old-school crafting skills if they never get a chance have any damn contact with ’em?  I know it wasn’t as cool as plasma cutting or welding, but you gotta start somewhere.

It’s sad really. I still think it’s a cool present for kid around 10 to 12 years old.  I guess I’m getting old.

Street Pricing [Froogle]

8 Responses to Finds: Wood Burning Kit

1. Nick Carter says:

Next year get him a dremel…that will go over well.
    Just keep the cool gifts for him at your house, then when he visits you can show him how lame his parents are.

2. nrChris says:

As a parent, I would be fine if someone gave that as a present to my 7 year old. After all, its a supervised-only toy, and dad will get some good usage out of it too.

3. Ken says:

It isn’t cool anymore to work with your hands and have an inagination.Everyone has to go to college.

4. kythri says:

I weep for the future.

At 29, I lament the lack of skills that earlier generations received as a natural part of growing up.

I look at the current generation of kids out there, and see even less.

It’s a sad state of affairs when vehicle-owning young men (and women) don’t even know how to change their oil – or check it, for that matter.

5. Chris Ball says:

I don’t think things have changed, these parents probably had parents that acted the same way, at least that’s what I hope. Me, I’m wiring in a remote emergency stop for the table saw so that when my kids get a little older (neither of them can see over the table yet) I can at least shut things down quick without being underfoot.

6. willbone says:

parents have changed they don’t have the time our mom & dads had to show us the cool stuff that THEY had! I can say with certainty that my boys WILL have a wood burning kit to use with the old mans supervision in the garage!

7. asdf says: