post-sharpener.jpg

RSharp writes: “This looks like what I’ve been looking for in a flat pencil sharpener.  It makes a nice chisel tip on the pencil instead of the strange concave tip you get from rotary sharpeners with curved blades.”

He suggests that these can be found pretty easily at art stores, which is true.  We’ve seen a variety of ’em available all over — even Sears carries a model, though not always in-store.  Check out the Froogle link for a dozen or so.

Pricing starts around $4 for sharpeners like this.

Carpenter Pencil Sharpener [Art Supplies Wholesale]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

7 Responses to Reader Finds: A Sharpener for Carpenter’s Pencils

1. Tom says:

But half the fun is whipping out your knife to sharpen the pencil.

2. nrChris says:

I saw a similar product at one of the big boxes today, next time I will pick one up, I believe that it was about $3.

3. Cybergibbons says:

I find some of my greatest thoughts have been when sharpening my pencil with my knife. If I had spent less time sharpening it, then I might have written down my earlier thoughts, which would almost certainly not be as good.

4. Randy says:

I submitted this earlier today after finding it on the web. I went and bought one at lunch. I found it at Hobby Lobby, in the art pencil section (where else?). General’s Flat Point Sharpener. It was $5. It came with 2 pencils and an instruction sheet.

I tried it out using a standard size unsharpened contruction pencils from Home Depot. This thing works really well. It’s easy to use and it makes a nice, clean, strong tip on the pencil. There was no waste during sharpening. I have some pictures which compare the tip to that produced by a normal rotary flat pencil sharpener, and will submit them if you send me a contact address. For some reason, the “contact us” page is coming up blank.

5. Lorenzo says:

I ended up buying something like this at Home Depot… and it was supposed to be the easy answer when it came to sharpening my shop pencils. I ended up ripping through half the pencil before I just threw the damned thing away and used my pocket knife instead.

Oh, and before I forget, Bender IS great.

6. Bruce says:

I’ll stick with my trusty Case pocket knife.