mechcanicalpencil.jpg

When I was a kid, my Dad always had a construction pencil stuck behind his ear.  I would often see him grab for it even when it wasn’t there.  I always thought that was strange until years later when I started using one.  Not only is it sweet to use, the part I loved best was sharpening it with a knife – very cool.  The Striker represents a new generation of construction pencil’s and like so many other tools it has now become automatic.

The Striker is a mechanical construction pencil.  Yeah, I wasn’t thrilled either at first, but the new method does bring a few advantages such as an added 18% thickness in the lead and the fact that you never have to stop to sharpen it.  You just “click” it instead.

The rectangular lead has grooves on one side that the pencil uses to ratchet it out of its shock-resistant plastic tube.  It also serves as a solid brace for the *cough* gentle use most construction pencils see.

The $4 price tag for the pencil puts it well above the 30 cent street price most old-school pencils bring, but the trade off is that sharpening is just a click away.

My real question, though, is, “Does it fit behind your ear?”

Construction Pencil [Striker]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

12 Responses to Finds: Striker Construction Pencil

1. Douglas Kwan says:

pencil looks good but dont know if it will replace the free or cheapie old school ones

2. nrChris says:

I will buy one just for the looks–but probably wind up sticking with my tried and true “wood pencil”.

3. Dennis Lone says:

This is cool, but it won’t solve my biggest problem with construction pencils: losing them. I’d much rather lose a 25-cent wood pencil than a $4 mechanical one.

4. Nate says:

I bought this pencil with high hopes. Unfortunately, the pencil wasn’t nearly as useful as a standard carpenter’s pencil. The lead broke into little pieces that can’t be gripped securely by the pencil. And it is very hard to get a line when you have to run it up against something (such as the square they show in the pic above.) And to sharpen the edge you still have to break out your knife and scrape away at the lead. To top it off, I lost it at work one day and could not stop trying to figure out where it was for a week afterward. That has never happened with my cheap pencils that I lose all the time.

5. Rob says:

Isn’t half the fun pulling out your knife/chisel and whittling down the end of the pencil going after that perfect point anyway?

6. kythri says:

Wild. For a minute there, I thought that this was something that you loaded a pencil into, and it sharpened it.

I’ve got to agree with Dennis – I can buy a box of pencils for a couple bucks more than the mechanical one, which, while cool, takes away the fun of sharpening the wood pencil.

MSRP for four pieces of lead is $1.99.

I’m curious if this would conserve more lead than the wood pencil variety…

7. Tom says:

Even when they are supposed to be behind my ear they still get lost. On some projects I end up having a half-dozen different pencils just because people borrow one, or I set it down somewhere. I am going to stick with the classic pencils.

8. Randy says:

I don’t even like mechanical pencils at work, so you can guess where I am on this. Still, I’m not a huge fan of normal carpenter’s pencils because they are hard to sharpen with a strong point. The new sharpeners are OK, but I usually have to work at it for a few minutes to get a good tip, and waste a half inch of pencil. Carpenter pencil sharpeners still need improvement.

If it doesn’t have to be pretty, I do some of my marking with a sharpie.

9. Rick says:

Obviously, it depends what you’re marking/cutting.. But in general for woodwork, I prefer to use a marking knife. Something like this isn’t cheap.. And if you’re likely to lose it, it probably isn’t for you.. But I love how it scores the wood, it’s VERY accurate, the mark is easy to sand away, and depending on how clean a cut you’re looking for, also prevents tearout on plywood.

Garrett-Wade even has kits to make your own knife. You pick the style blade, and then you build the style handle you want.

Granted, this isn’t for everyone, and if you’re prone to misplacing what you use to mark with – you don’t want to lose track of these.. sitting down on, or catching it with your finger or something when you don’t know it’s there is not a pleasant experience. – Framers need not apply.. 🙂

10. Paul says:

I use plain old round pencils when I am marking if I do not use a line scriber. I’ve had the rectangular carpenter’s pencils and whittling points just isn’t my bag. Oh yeah I have an electric pencil sharpener in my workshop too. For the ROUND pencils! If you’re just marking on wood and have a knife to sharpen your clunky assed carpenter’s pencil why not simply skip the pencil and mark it with the knife blade?

This looks like one of the chesesiest assed I don’t need it types of things that I’ve seen in a while. Although I do use a round mechanical drawing pencil whenever I am drafting. I have a nice Staedtler Mars sharpener for it too. This item does remind me of a soapstone chalk in a way. Now soapstone is cool. It’s the snizzle for marking on metals while torch cutting. A find about soapstones just might have been useful to some readers.

11. Brent says:

I would need at least 10 of these, because I lose the cheap ones so often. I think it would be a little cost prohibitive.

12. Doug says:

I bought one of these pencils and yes it took a few seconds to get used to somew new, but I love it. I don’t waste my time haveing to sharpen it. I do like to put an edge on it when I’m using a square, but that is easy. I just rub a few times on the concrete floor and it puts a nice edge on it. The $3.69 price includes 5 leads, so it equates to a liitle more than a 30 cent pencil, but it’s worth it.