post-hiltirecipsaw.jpg

HILTI markets its tools to “professionals,” which essentially means that most of their tools are sold by contract to commercial customers.  While the tools themselves often don’t seem that distinguished from their primarily-big-box-retailer-targeted cousins, HILTI does offer an extensive range of parts and service options for their tools.  So it’s interesting to see what they’re offering from time to time — especially when Home Depot seems to carry it.

Like, for example, this 24V cordless reciprocating saw.  The form factor’s a bit of a departure from most manufacturer’s idea of ideal, but it should offer a relatively low center of gravity which might contribute to ergonomics.

Besides the shape, it’s not that unusual, featuring a 2.0 Ah NiCd battery.  The “kit” version comes with a single battery and streets for $380.

There’s one on eBay right now for $350.  I wonder if he’s dumping it to pick up a Li-Ion tool?

Cordless Reciprocating Saw, Model WSR 650-A [HILTI]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

16 Responses to Finds: HILTI’s Cordless Recip Saw

1. AndrewS says:

I would be very hesitant to buy a cordless recip saw, for anything but the occasional light work. While I’ve never used the HILTI, I did have a B&D with a ni-cad battery pack and I was blown away by how short the battery life is. In a pinch, it works for a small job, but if you’ve got some serious deconstruction to do, invest in a corded model if you can.

2. Matt Lapointe says:

HILTI compared to B&D is like comparing the US military to Canada’s, about the only thing that runs longer than HILTI cordless tools are corded tools, they’re used (abused!!) extensively underground where 120 VAC power is usually far away.

3. R-Cain says:

I’m not quite sure who did the write up for this tool but the tone is quite condescending. I’ve found this particular tone to be very familiar with people who have already decided what they like before they look into things. A few things not mentioned… this saw has a counterbalance inside designed to significant reduce vibration. Any other cordless recip on the market will chatter your teeth as if you have hypothermia. This saw is smooth and particular efficient at cutting. Unlike many saws that use a straight steel inside, the gearing of the Hilti is all carburized metals that provide significantly longer life. A large segment of purchasers for this tool is rescue crews. Due to the long battery life and respectable cutting performance, rescue crews often opt to cut open cars using the Hilti instead of taking the extra time needed to pull out the jaws of life. If you get the chance to use or demo one of these tools you’ll see that they have quite a bit that “distinguishes them from their primarily-big-box-retailer-cousins.” And yes select Home Depots do sell Hilti tools but only when an everyday Hilti rep is issued to the store.

4. Matt Lapointe says:

Wow, I was starting to think nobody else out there appreciated top quality hand tools and their important jobs

5. l_bilyk says:

Re: HILTI compared to B&D is like comparing the US military to Canada’s

Interesting comment. I guess if you compare the size of Hilti to B&D you could argues it’s like the size of Canada’s military when compared with the US. However, I don’t think that’s what you meant.

Frankly, you’re an ignoramus. The canadian military is not any worse equipped or trained than the US.

6. Chuck Cage says:

R-Cain: I wrote the post above, as indicated in the by-line. You’ll note that the “things not mentioned” — while very useful information, thanks! — are also not mentioned in any of Hilti’s online marketing information — which seems to corroborate my point that the Hilti’s target market is more the contract crowd than the general public, regardless of their level of skill.

Hilti’s methodology for determining which stores they “allow” to sell their equipment is immaterial to our readership. As tool consumers, all we want to know about Hilti’s sales strategy is, “Where can we buy them?” and maybe “How much do they cost?” If the tools are hard to find, we’re less likely to buy them.

Regarding rescue crews’ use of recip saws, we’ve heard this (accurate) claim from DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, and even from Stanley regarding their FUBAR. Rescue crews do often carry recip saws, though we’ve seen no solid evidence to support a claim that rescue personnel, as a whole, prefer one brand over another.

If you’re with Hilti (or know someone who is), maybe you could pass on some of this information to the marketing and sales staff: don’t keep your tools’ advanced features a secret, and make the tools easily available — unless, of course, you’re already selling them to the people you care about and don’t desire new customers from other sources.

7. David says:

I would consider myself a serious woodworker with a bigger than average woodshop in my oversized 1 1/2 story garage. HILTI is a product line that I have a LOT of. Why? because my brother-in-law and his tradesman buddies ALL recommended them. Now, in Chicago and the Suburbs where I live we have lots of rehab construction going on from the older house like mine, to the big hi-rise office buildings that my brother-in-Law works on.

When I was faced with building custom bookshelves, furntiture, built in cabinets, and redoing a kitchen, library, and bathrooms, I decided that buying the tools was a WAY better than just hiring it out. Heck, for just the quote on my bathroom I was able to buy Powermatic heavy iron (saws, drill presses, band saws, jointer, etc.) and then some really nice Lie-Neilsen hand planes and a full chest of Sk Hand Tools for my mechanical side.

Here’s what I’ve determined about HILTI- they are a truly designed for the jobsite worker and particularly for rehab and demo with a particular bend on concrete and fastening for new construction. They are considered an industry standard I suppose in the Powder Actuated Guns for fastening. And they are awesome. The recip saw this blog discusses I have owned. I only sold it to get the more powerful unit (corded this time). Truthfully, I liked the ergonomics A LOT of the saw on this blog. It’s SO COMFORTABLE TO USE THAT I’M GOING TO BUY ANOTHER ONE and have two. For projects on a ladder or in tight spaces it can NOT be beat. Frankly, anyone who has a tool like this HAS TO HAVE TWO BATTERIES anyhow, BUT the power is limited if you’re really cranking through a lot of junk. That’s why you should have 2.

There is no doubt that if you’re going to tear into anything to demolish first HILTI has MORE choices in just one category like Recip saws than most others combined. I returned a Bosch recip AS SOON AS I TRIED IT SIDE BY SIDE. (and I like Bosch a lot too). It was so much smoother and faster cutting in ANY material it was a no brainer. They also make their blades!! Another thing is that HILTI has OUTSTANDING service by me in Chicago at least. I buy my HILTI stuff from Home Depot or HILTI stores and the salespeople practically write down the instructions for how to do the job!!

Another example would be their Drills for wood or concrete. The selection is insane. But I now own 6 HILTI guns. Drwywall, Cordless Hammer Drills, Screw guns, Corded Impact Concrete Drills for my basement renovation. etc. etc. etc.

If there is ONE PLACE YOU NEED A QUALITY TOOL it’s in the heavy lifting areas like drilling into concrete, grinding your wall, tearing into studs with the RECIP saw and of course building an entire Deck. I can’t imagine doing the deck without a SCREW FEED GUN that rocks.

NOW FOR THE QUALITY, I would think that the gentlemen in the previous post said it all, they are made with superb metals and they are heavy duty, AND EXTREMLY WELL THOUGHT OUT. But, for that money, I would expect nothing less. After all, they actual service their products in centers all over America. They are highly trained and are seeking those that either beat the living S**T out of their tools all day on the jobsite OR people like me who want the stuff to last forever and appreciate quality.

I hope in someway that’s a help and, yes, I’m an extremly satisfied HILTI tool user. I was really big on Porter Cable and still am to some extent, but my new HILTI 71/4 Circular saw is so powerful and smooth with the BEST ERGONOMICS I’ve ever used. Smooth, quiet, the best guide rail system I’ve used yet on a power saw.

Happy tool hunting!

8. Bryan Brown says:

I have often lusted after the HILTI line in Home Depot. Yes, the Canadian military is a joke. I have a friend who was in it. His description of training was laughable.

9. Guys, I am a Hilti Rep in Austin, Texas, and I love that we some serious customers for those of you that are, and to those of you who are not YET, we hope to change that. This saw is great and the body style that is assembled in is because of two things.

One you have all mentioned it in ergonomics, it is alot more balanced and while this battery model weighs quite a bit, the corded versions are as light as 6.3 lbs. Also this design allows for it to be slimmer for getting into tight spots. And yes while it looks bulkier it can get into tighter spaces than most other recip saw desgins.

The 2nd reason is this…cover up any other nose of a recip saw and then look at that same brands smallest rotary Hammer drill, what you will have are 2 tools that look very similar. The reason being is because a recip saw and hammer drill work on the same principles. Now most brands small rotary hammer drills are not electro-pnuematic ( a hollow tube has a piston that runs from the motor, when the piston is in the back position closest to the motor it draws in air and then when it moves forward it uses the air pressure to push the bit/ blade forward causing a hammering action or strok as in recip saws.) Most companies use what they call a wobbler which divots the blade back and forth and causes severe strain and less actual performace due to the inferior but cheaper design.

This is the primary function that this design serves to allow us to make a strong more balance and acceptable function to Hilti’s standard. Now most would argue that we do make the best hammer drills, I mean hell we invented them much like the powder actuated guns. So we ought to make the best recip saws.

Now if you are into the corded versions, these are where we truly show our innovation. The 2 models that are similar to this one both START at 8.5 amps. This is is because of the Smart Power system in which a censor is able to read what the blades is doing. For you medium to hevy demo contractors or DIY’ers this give the saw the ability to know what type of material your cutting as soon as start to cut it or move into a different base material. I.E. if you are cutting a 6″ x 6″ with a 1/2″ lag in the middle the will know when you hit the lag and the censor will send a signal back to the motor and tell it to pull more amps. So that you cut is consistent and precise no matter what you are cutting.

If you have any further questions email me at Dusten.lehnick@hilti.com

10. Bob Lambe says:

Well, the review was a little condescending…. and the OP really needs to pickup a hilti tool…

If you glazed over the two “walls of text” above me, know this… Hilti tools are well worth the money. Comparing a Hilti to a Black and Decker tool is laughable. And while the comparision between the US and Canadian armed forces was a little rude, it was fairly apt (super carriers vs refurbed british subs anyone?). A better comparison might be off-roading in a Hummer (fullsize) or a suzuki Vitara.

11. ME says:

OK, honestly how many of you work for HILTI? Some of the stuff that comes out is insane! IS our friend from Chicago really a “tradesman” who, but Hilti employees understand that much about the company. I agree the stuff is great, but just be honest like the rep from Austin.

12. Gary says:

I too am a Hilti rep. You would be surprised at how many tradespeople are tool geeks at heart. My customers time and again tell me how superior Hilti products are. The tools are fast capable and durable. Please look at the specs before making flippant comments.

13. Pat Smith says:

I too am a Hilti rep. I just want to ask Gary from the last post a question. What were you doing posting on a web site at 11:59 in the morning on the close day of the month?

14. Anthony Mancuso says:

Hey guy’s! I am not a Hilti Rep, but I am a Hardware Sales Associate at a rural Pennsylvania Home Depot (my location does not carry Hilti). However, I can testify to the quality of Hilti products. They make the best tools on the market, anyone who would try to refute that statement clearly does not follow the construction industry close enough. In response to “ME” (above), Hilti is very up front with there business practices, it is entirely plausible that the people who comment here simply have done there homework. Pat Smith (above) entirely correct, that’s one of the busiest days of the month for vendors.

It is extremely uncommon for a Home Depot location to carry stock of Hilti power tools, more common in-stock items are things like masonry bits and saw blades made and distributed by Hilti. Any store locations that offer a Tool Rental Center would be able to rent out Hilti products.

Andrew (from the top), if you are referring to Black and Decker’s Firestorm cordless line if tools, that was a product that hit the market and very quickly became obsolete, Hilti (and any other brand out there) has had 1) almost a decade to improve upon the Ni-Cd battery, and 2) an decades worth of technological advancements in the quality of basic components. I would never lead a customer to expect that a B&D Ni-Cd would last them more than a year, maybe a year and a half, tops.

15. Iron Head 46 says:

Heyall of you Hilti reps, is Hilti hurting so much finacially that they have to start buying junk tools from China. I bought a 15 amp circ-saw a couple years ago off of Ebay. All I can say is that it’s a pretty good saw, not as nice as my 40 year old Milwaukee, but still pretty damn good. I talked my buddy into getting a Hilti like mine, since it’s so hard to find a nice saw now days. So, what do you think the Hilti salesman sold him? A $40 piece of junk saw, made in China… and for the best part. $184. Yes you got that right $184 bucks. He finally called the sales rep back to complain, it took three calls to Hilti in OK before the sales rep would return his call and refund his money. While talking to the office in OK he was informed that the reason the got rid of the other model saw was that nobody wanted that saw at $165. It was a nice American made saw with a magnesium base, 15 amps, it was great. So Hilti replaced it with a piece of sh it from China and raised the price. What a joke. The sales rep for central Illinois sucks.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love my Hilti stuff, but some companies make better tools at a lower price, like Metabo, and Fein.

I currently own a Hilti ATC76 rotary hammer, TE15 and TE 40 AVR, DX 460, DX 40A, and three DX41.

16. James2016 says:

I’ve never see this brand on the market.
    I use Milwaukee reciprocating saw and i vote for it.
    So i want to see more reviews about this brand.
    Regards!