post-8in1.jpg

James writes: “This precision screwdriver is available from Husky in both Torx and Phillips/slotted versions.  It’s hands down the handiest screwdriver for working on electronics and small items.”

We’ve been featuring a number of multi-bit screwdrivers lately — to the point where I think I’m going to have to pick one up soon.  I’ve always relied on sets, but this looks like a great solution.

The Torx version has T4 through T10 bits plus a T15, and both versions feature Husky’s “guaranteed forever” warranty.

These are available all over on the web and in Home Depot starting at around $6.

8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver [Husky]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

Related:

12 Responses to Reader Find: Husky’s 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver

1. Hey hey hey, whoah, wait a sec. Those look like 4mm bits. And the handle looks reasonably shorter than the one included in the Boxer set linked Nov 29th. Thaaaank you! *yoink*

2. Jeff T says:

This one is nice in a tool belt though, unlike the others, it is nice and small. I had both of these that Husky makes, but it sucked when the little bit that I HAD TO leave in the driver kept getting lost. So, I got the Kobalt model from Lowes, since they are made of blue anodized aluminum instead of plastic, and they also store the ALL 4 bits in the cap, making them even smaller in a tool belt. But, then the plastic top of the Kobalt driver broke in half (Grrrr). Only thing is, they don’t have a security bit model, among others. Less space, but go for the one that Nate recommends if that is not a concern. Really. Less doesn’t equal more in this case unless you need less space to take up in a tool belt or something.

3. Rob says:

I have one of these for working on my knives. Benchmade sells a version almost exactly like this for working on their product. It’s a great little tool and the price is right too!

4. Mike M says:

silly americans.. when will you realize robertson screws are superior then slot or phillips in all aspects

5. Rob says:

..and where do the Torx fit into that equation?

6. kythri says:

But Robertson screws are Canadian, and as every self-respecting American knows, nothing Canadian is superior!

😛

7. Mike M says:

so true kythri, and rob you cant put a torx on a driver and turn it up sidedown without it falling off can you? robertson will stay on and takes alot of whipping around of the driver to make it fall off. They also arent that more expensive and are in wide use more so then torx. Im an electrician let me just say the electrical equipment from the USA we get that has slotted screws are SUCH a pain in the ass (aka tighten one time and forget it …its screwed)… there are so many other examples in my trade between the way Canadian and Americans do things and the Canadian ideas are usually more efficient,safer and or cheaper

8. kythri says:

I was just joking about the Canadian thing, man, but, seriously, to claim that Robertsons are in wider use than Torx is simply not true – at least here in the USA.

Torx are used in a HUGE variety of automobile applications, electronics, and many other things.

The only time we ever really see Robertsons here is on some cheap furniture imported from Canada. They’re just not really that prevalent outside Canada.

The Robertson concept is great, and truth be told, I quite like it.

FWIW, I do seem to remember reading somewhere that showed that Torx can handle a lot more torque than Robertson, which would seem to make Torx superior – probably why Torx is used far more commonly here (and abroad) than Robertson.

9. Mike M says:

i understand your points… but for a “simple screw” in a “simple application” or everyday use robertson should be used . torx, yes has its place but seriously i never see it in the electrical field… like i said being able to use a robertson driver one handed and the screw not fall off… BRILLIANT

10. kythri says:

I’d love to see Robertson replace the “standard” flat-tip deal. I absolutely hate dealing with flat-head screws.

11. Fitz says:

Don’t blame the Americans, according to wikipedia you should blame the Brits:

“Robertson had licensed the screw in England but the party with which he was dealing intentionally put the company under and purchased the rights from the trustee thus circumventing Robertson[citation needed]. He spent a small fortune buying back the rights. After that he refused to ever allow anyone to make the screws under license.”

“When Henry Ford tried out the Robertson screws he found they saved considerable time in the production of cars but when Robertson refused to license the screws to Ford, he realized that the use of the screws would not be guaranteed and stopped using them”

12. Husky says:

If you use a needle nose plier to remove the divider inside the handle, there is enough room for all four of the bits. Just give it a tug and it should pull right out.

Kind of hard to use a Robertson on really small screws. I do like using them though.