post-rescuetool.jpg

Donnie writes: “This is one of the coolest Swiss Army knives I’ve ever seen.  It has the glass breaker and belt cutter you’d expect, but the knife can even be used to cut the windshield out.  Watch the video for a demonstration of all the features.”

Cool stuff indeed.  This one includes a one-handed blade, a Phillips screwdriver, a window breaker, a “strong” 6mm screwdriver with a cap lifer and wire stripper, a punch and reamer, a belt cutter, a key ring, tweezers, a toothpick, a disc saw, luminescent grip shells, and a cord and case.

Many years back when I was working SCCA races a lot, I used to carry one of the “belt-cutter” knives for safety work.  It’s essentially a knife with a block on the outer end so you can slip it under the belt then cut it by pulling upwards.

But hey — nothing scares the living s@#* out of a driver like looking up to see a worker reaching for his crotch with a knife — safety knife or otherwise.

I don’t see US pricing, though it looks like it goes for about 62 pounds British.  Has anyone seen this for sale stateside?

The RescueTool [Victorinox]

Related:

7 Responses to Reader Find: The Victorinox RescueTool

1. SlowJoeCrow says:

Very cool tool, the closes US equivalent appears to be the One Handed Fireman, which has the belt cutter but not the saw and glass breaker http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=everyday&product=54868&

2. Donnie says:

The other thing I forgot to mention in all the excitement ( but is shown in the video ) the glass breaker and the belt/glass cutting blade are replaceable . It is a new product and I expect it will show up in the US soon. At least I hope so.

3. Myself says:

Now I’m upset that everything isn’t offered with luminescent grips. That’s a common-sense feature right there. I’ve seen GITD plastic dock cleats in the marine section of Gander Mountain, what else should glow but doesn’t?

4. Rick says:

If I were really looking for a tool to perform a windshield removal like in the video, I would go this route instead:

Yes, perhaps it’s overkill for you to carry in your car day to day.. but like they say, make sure you have the right tool for the job.

5. Bowen says:

Very neat. Nice to see Victorinox making useful stuff rather than the gimmicky stuff I’ve been seeing lately.

Of course the music in that video had me expecting the fireman to take his pants off. Very 70’s smut soundtrack!

6. thelinuxcat says:

I just foud that these are available from here. I have bought from this person before. Proceeds go to help provide vet services to owners who cannot afford to take care of their cats.

7. Meico says:

Very cool, I dont know if I would carry it around. But nice all the same…