post-snowscoop.jpg

I’ll quickly admit that I really don’t know that much about snow.  In Texas it snows about once a year, and even then it’s “snow” in the same way a light, sprinkling shower is “rain” to New Orleans.  I’ve used a snow shovel exactly once, but I do remember that it sucked in a major way.  That said, I couldn’t help but wonder if this thing works.

As you can see, it’s essentially a big scoop with wheels on the bottom.  The idea is that you roll it along to scoop up the snow, then flip it up to carry the snow away.

So have any of you actually used this thing?  It’s apparently been around since 1990, but I can’t find that many places actually selling it.  Froogle (as of this moment in time) finds one place selling it for $150 and some guy eBaying his for $60.  A little Googling found one new for $100.

You’re gonna have to help me out in comments.  Crap or gold?

Update: With two comments so far, the score is — “Total Crap” 2, “Buy it” 0.

The Snowmaster Snow Scoop [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing (such that it is) [Froogle]
“The Amazing Snow Scoop” [Clean Air Gardening]

Related:

17 Responses to Finds: The Snowmaster Snow Scoop

1. Bill Marcy says:

Pure crap I have owned one for about 8 years now, and after having paid $90.00 for it, I doggedly trot it out each first snowfall of the season. I give it a college try for about 30 minutes, then drag it’s useless self back into the garage and go back to using the Kawasaki mule.

I would say, Pure, unadulterated crap.

2. james b says:

Yeah, I would agree with Bill. I don’t have one, but can push as much snow as I can throw into a snow shovel. This looks like it would be hard on your back, no good on stairs, and not good at scraping down to the bare cement. The ergonomics look wrong on this.

This winter in Colorado was really the first time I ever had to shovel snow, and it isn’t much fun. Unless it drifts a couple of feet against the garage door, it can melt the next time.

3. Kent Sievers says:

Don’t think I’d buy one. That dog peeking out from under the door looks pretty cute though. Border collie maybe? Now there’s a useful tool.

4. Rick Ashby says:

If you really want to move snow, you need a snow scoop like they use in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The western U.P. gets an average 300 inches of snow so they really know how to handle it. These scoops work best with the powdery kind of snow. Get them here: http://www.silverbear.biz/index.html

5. Carl K says:

I just got one and it worked great for me. I have a flat driveway and a corner lot with a long sidewalk. I literally cleared both in about 10 minutes. The height is adjustable and isn’t hard on your back at all. That’s the whole point of this thing. Instead of constantly lifting snow, you just push the scoop at about a 30-40 degree angle. As you push, the snow climbs up the scoop. When it’s full, you just tip the scoop to the side to dump the snow. Think a wheelbarrow that scoops snow. Yeah, you’ll need a shovel for stairs or your front stoop, but you can’t beat this thing for $50. Just go on Amazon and type “smss snowscoop” into the search engine.

6. John Connerton says:

I do know a lot about snow and Rick Ashby (above) has got it right. The design shown sucks, but the famous “yooper scooper” has been used for decades in the U.P. (Upper Penninsula of Michigan). I’ve lived in Minnesota for over 30 years and never owned a snowblower, just a snow scoop. Even in 2-3 feet of snow, I get my driveway done way faster and easier than all my neighbors with big expensive blowers. And my driveway is 70 feet long, double width. They cost less than 50 bucks, last forever, there’s no back strain, they are actually fun to use and help keep you in shape without straining like you do with a shovel. The only thing easier and faster is a truck or tractor mounted plow or blower….but I’ve never seen the need.

7. Lonnie says:

I bought one used at a flea market and it sat in my garage for two years. THEN, this year we get some big snow so I dragged it out and used it for the first time.
    I was impressed!
    My driveway is 220 feet long by 12 feet wide and it took me four hours with a shove. Now I can clear it in half the time with this scoop.
    From some of the comments above I think some are expecting too much from this scoop. It is what it is!
    I don’t see how james could comment on something that he has never used!!!
    Snowmaster’s site has it listed for $69.95 and can be ordered direct.
    I did see it listed for $100.00 on other sites so just be careful when ordering.
    I would buy another one!!!!!!!

8. Terry Rich says:

I bought one new at a garage sale for $25. I works great for me. My driveway is double wide and slopes down. I just push the snow into the street, stand the scoop straight up to dump it and go back up the drive. I am a great grandmother and this is a lot easier than shovel. I also have a snowblower but this is quicker and a lot less complicated.

9. Steve R from NJ says:

I agree with Terry, I have had my scoop for over 20 years have changed the blades at least 6 times. My driveway is over 100′ long 15’wide I can remove as much as 12″ in about 1 hour most of my neighbors have blowers that do not do a great job as my scoop does. This is a great product if you know how to use it. I will never buy a blower as long as I can still buy replacement blades. I am 65 years old,so you dont need to be a cowboy to work with it effectively. Great product buy one. I would recommend all the ace hardware stock the product it will sell out.

10. Bob says:

I purchased my snowmaster for $70.00 in 1999/11.
    I also have a BIG and expensive Ariens snow blower
    I use the snowmaster when the snow is light, fluffy and less than an inch.
    Used it yesterday (1/13/2014) for a 2 house driveway and LOVE it.
    Sometime much easier than the snow blower.
    Too bad it appears to be discontinued.
    I do need to buy replacement blades which is why I am st this site.
    By the way, I am 72 years old with a recent hip replacement.

11. Andy Thornton says:

I have found the scoop very useful. I now need a new blade but am unable to buy one in the UK. If anyone has one in the US I can arrange for it to be shipped to my sister in New York and she will bring it over here on her next visit.

12. Bob Rothgarber says:

We’ve purchased many Yooper scoopers since early 70′. We are so thrilled with this product and hopefully we are able to continue to use this scoop as We are in need of a 30″ replacement blade. How can we contact you to order one ? These were all purchased in Traverse City at DeWeese Hardware, they tell us they cannot get new scoops and to try to contact you directly as origninator and designer passed away. Thank you~ Bob

13. Eleanor says:

I purchased Snowmaster Snow scoop the fall of 1997 from Walmart. Saw it advertised in a United Airlines on flight catalog. Cost ~ $59. and worth every penny. Have used it every season and I find it easy to use, even at 73 yr. with a bad back and arthritic shoulders. It saves a lot of time for those 2 – 3″ snowfalls. and I can do my walk and those of neighbors in a jiffy. I can have the work done in about the time it takes to get the snowblower out of the garage and get the electric start plugged in and get it started. True the slushy snow can be removed with this, by taking smaller bites cause the slushy stuff is heavy. I did not expect this to handle all snow pushing needs. I need a replacement blade.

14. Robert says:

LOVE my Snow Master Snow Scoop. Faster than shoveling or the snow blower. Used it in Michigan for about 15 years when snow was more than 4″ deep. Technique is important and there is no issues with potential back pain since you push the scoop to fill its surface, level it to roll it and then lift the handles to dump the snow. Would keep it if I wasn’t moving to Naples.

15. GR Roscoe says:

I’ve had mine for years. Push and dump! No lifting! Drag it back on the wheel! I have a tractor with a 4′ blower on it for the big stuff. Powdery and light snows, I use the Snow Scoop!

16. Jay says:

I got one for $4.00 at a yard sale. This thing works great on light, deep snow or thin wet snow. I cleared off my driveway and street with this in no time. Very easy on the back.

17. Dan M says:

I live in the NE and have had a snowmaster for 15 yrs. our driveway is on a slope. Its fantastic for snow below 5″. Especially if its dry snow. Still works on larger amounts but it takes technique. The advantage for us is I can take a run at it downhill. I can clear our 900sq ft driveway in 1/3 the time as a shovel.