titbond.jpg

Titebond calls Titebond III the “ultimate wood glue.”  (Is the third time the charm?)  It’s a waterproof wood glue that cleans up with water (before it dries, of course) and offers a one-year shelf life.  Titebond says it has a polymer-based formula that offers the “preferred performance attributes as defined by professional woodworkers.”

Titebond III sports excellent water-resistance and provides a stronger bond by optimizing for wood-to-wood applications.  It also doesn’t foam and requires less clamp time than polyurethane based adhesives.  Working with Titebond doesn’t require the use of gloves, either.

For interior projects it offers a longer working time — giving woodworkers the necessary latitude to ensure that surfaces are precisely aligned before being bonded.

Overall, Titebond III combines big strength and a long 10 minute open time.  Or so they say.  I think we’ll pick up a tube and give it a shot sometime in the near future here.

Street pricing starts at $4 for a 4oz tube.

Titebond III Woodglue [Titebond]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

8 Responses to Finds: Titebond III Woodglue

1. Michael says:

I love this glue. It also seems to handle freezing well. This is the glue I use for outdoor projects in addition to the furniture I make.

2. SuperJdynamite says:

Is this not just PVA glue with some coloring added?

3. Eli says:

I still have a quarter bottle of I and a half bottle of II. Those should run out about the time they come out with IV

4. Eric Hart says:

I’ve seen some carpenters use this, though I can’t say for sure whether they’ve actually tested it, or just assume it performs better than regular glue. When it comes to carpentry, I rely on good ol’ fashion Elmer’s Wood Glue (or some other brand’s comparable product). My high school shop teacher always used to say in class, “A properly-glued joint is stronger than the wood itself.” I don’t see why you would need something stronger than the wood itself. And if you aren’t getting that, you should look into proper clamping techniques rather than a different glue. I work as a theatrical props carpenter, where sometimes we’re told in the morning what needs to be built for that afternoon, but regular wood glue has never failed me. When it comes down to it, Titebond III Woodglue is no worse than yellow wood glue, but it is more expensive.

5. James says:

Woodsmith 165 has an interesting article on waterproof glues. Basically, Titebond I is your basic yellow PVA glue, II is “water-resistant” PVA, and III is “waterproof” PVA. Also, “waterproof” does not mean that something will survive if you keep it submerged all the time.

Here’s the really interesting part:

“A water-resistant glue must pass the Type II water-resistance requirements set by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). The test involves soaking the cured glue joint in water for four hours before baking it dry for 19 hours. The joint endures three rounds of this testing, and if it holds, the glue passes the water-resistance test.

To be considered “waterproof,” the glue must pass the ANSI Type I test. This testing involves taking the glue joint through extreme temperature and humidity conditions as quickly as possible.

The joint is boiled for four hours, then baked for more than 20 hours. Then, it’s boiled for four hours again before being cooled down under running water. Finally, the glue must withstand a strength test while it’s still wet – if the wood breaks before the glue, the glue has done its job and passes the test.”

So yes, the glue should work as advertised.

6. TL says:

It’s all about using the right tool for the job. Standard Elmer’s is great as long as you never get it wet. Titebond II is good for occasional dampness. But if I’m building outdoor projects or something that will need to float, I’m reaching for the Titebond III.

7. zackman says:

Does anybody know how to get titebond II out of clothing once it has dried? This stuff is too good.

8. Jeff says:

I found the 3M ahesives and hot melts I bought at http://www.jdindustrialsupply.com held up better and were easier to work with.