post-felobitboy.jpg

Ok, despite the name (which sounds like some kind of ne’er-heard-by-ears-like-mine name for a job in the pr0n industry), this looks like a pretty cool ratcheting screwdriver and bit set — something we’ve seen a lot of interest about on Toolmonger recently.

As you can see in the photo, the ‘Boy features a “telescopic magazine” that stores bits right in the handle — and quite a few aparently.

According to Bondhus’ — the manufacturer’s — website, it’s available in three variants: a simple magazine with ratchet (pictures) for around $30, a magazine handle with extra long blade for $17.50, and a magazine with exchangable blade for $16.50.

Personally, I’d go for the ratchet, which seems to be what everyone else is doing, too: The amazon.com link on the corporate site only sells the ratcheting version.  (The Seven Corners Hardware link sells all three, if you’re serious about one of the others.)

Does anyone have experience with one of these?

The Felo Bit Boy [Bondhus]

8 Responses to Finds: The Felo Bit Boy

1. Nick Carter says:

That mechanism seems ubiquitous, I have a ratchet driver from the 60’s-70’s that has the same sheetmetal and three position button switch. I guess it’s proven technology.

2. Myself says:

Proven? Every screwdriver I’ve owned with that style of ratchet has failed within minutes. I avoid them out of habit now.

The bit magazine looks cool, though. Nobody seems to have a really good way of organizing bits in a handle, but this looks like as decent an attempt as any.

3. Nick Carter says:

Proven to be cheap to make then?
    Probably at one point there was a well designed, patented, version of that ratchet that performed well, and then was knocked off in cheaper and cheaper versions – I’ve seen busted ones made in Taiwan (you know in that box of tools one buys for $10.00 at a yard sale) that were laughably made.

hmmm…I’ll have to look in my rarely used tool drawer…

4. David says:

Do you take money or products from vendors? It is unclear. It would make quite a big difference to your readers is they new whether or not you were being paid to mention a product. How about listing a policy on your site. Thanks

5. David says:

Sure wish I’d reread my prior post for spelling mistakes. Is = if and new = knew.

Sorry.

6. Chuck Cage says:

David: We maintain the same editorial separation and follow the same sort of testing policies you’ll find at magazines like PopSci. We sell advertising — and soon some project sponsorships — but those are clearly labeled. (This is all hard on the wallet, BTW, but we think it makes TM a much more interesting read.)

With our “finds” category, we’re generally just posting an interesting tool we came across. Sometimes we have experience with them, and sometimes we don’t. In this case, I’ve not owned one of these, and based on Myself’s comment, I probably won’t. (He’s been very articulate — and accurate — in his take on tools since he’s been hanging out ’round these parts.)

When we perform “hands-on” testing, we seek to share personal experience, and we’re often surprised by the results. For example, I expected not to be impressed with the Leatherman Squirt/MAKE Warranty Voider, but liked it quite a bit. We fully expected the AutoWrench to fly apart, but it performed exactly as advertised. The iRobot Dirt Dog surprised me (and Sean), too.

Hope this helps.

7. David says:

Much obliged, Chuck. Thanks

8. JML says:

I have had one for several months. The handle is very comfortable (the Felo ergon design is quite good, and comes in several iterations). The bit holder in the handle works very well, as long as you remember to turn the endcap until it clicks and the arrow pointers match up (otherwise it’ll open up on you). The ratchet mechanism seems fine – it works smoothly, doesn’t slip, and is pretty quiet. It seems as if it might be the same made-in-Germany mechanism I have in Schoeder tapping tools (another German company).