post-fuegoheader.jpg

Today we’re proud to annouce our “Day 23” winner in the 25 Days of Fuego give away: Emily D.

Emily’s project: “I want to turn my ordinary flat dining room ceiling into a vaulted ceiling with skylights, and add a porch to the front of my house. Removing a section of celing joists will require additional support in the attic. The support should also help carry the weight of the new porch roof. The saw will be used to demo ceiling joists and roof sheathing.

It will make all of the abundant framing changes and probably even cut the decking and the panels in the porch as well. The porch will be screen enclosed with a wood burning stove and stainless chimney. The floor will be a trex type product for durability. The interior walls will be simple mdo, 1x stock and quarter round panels on the bottom and screen up top. Girls can also love tools.”

Congrats, Emily, it sounds like you have the plans well in hand. We’d love to see before and after pictures it has all the makings of a great project!

If you didn’t win — try again today by posting your winter project (that makes use of the Fuego) as a comment on this post for another chance to win.  (And remember, though you can only win once, you can post projects as often as you’d like.  So, if yours wasn’t selected, don’t be afraid to give us a new take on it — or maybe link in a picture!)

Contest Details [Toolmonger/RIDGID]

P.S. If you didn’t win today you have one more chance to win with the Day 24 winner post!

9 Responses to 25 Days of Fuego: Day 23 Winner — Another Chance to Win

1. deckhand says:

Way to go Emily!!

My main winter/spring project is to totally gut my kitchen. I plan to remove the wall between the kitchen and the dining room to open up the space. This will entail installing a 6″x8″ beam since this is a bearing wall.

My plan is to narrow the archway between the living room/dining room such that french doors can be installed in the opening to separate the kitchen and living room.

New windows and a patio door will follow along with either a hardwood floor or a granite tile floor.

The cabinets will be custom built, probably bleached maple with granite counter tops. If space permits, I’d like to build an island in the middle.

I figure this is a 2-3 month project and I plan to carry out most of the framing and drywall myself while contracting out the electrical and plumbing.

2. Brian C. says:

Congratulations Emily!

As an avid volunteer of his time and abilities in the Mountain Search and Rescue team and as a trainer of knot & rope work for firemen and other rescuers, my father-in-law is a man with ability and skill, just not a handyman. However, he is a man very short on time and his small house, where he lives alone, has some much needed work that needs doing.

Since he volunteers so much of his time, I thought as a Christmas present that I could volunteer some of mine this winter. His house is built into the side of a hill and has a large wrap-around deck as well as a smaller deck off of a back bedroom. These are roughly 20+’ above ground. They have fallen into disrepair and are now dangerous. The railings are loose, the deck planks are rotting, the framing is falling apart. His front porch, although not as high off the ground, is in a similar state. I believe he is semi-fearless as he still walks on these decks!!! I want to rebuild his decks and his front porch for him. He deserves it and it’s needed.

A new Fuego from RIDGID would be an excellent tool to have on this project and on other projects as well – such as the aforementioned 2-level play-structure for my children.

Thank you for the contest and your time!
    ~Brian

3. Allan says:

Hello – my father has always been an inspiration to me in using tools and being a handyman. he was always fixing things while I was growing up. now that he’s older I need to do the same for him since he is no longer able to stand up in the garage for long periods of time running tools.

If i won the Fuego I would help him rebuild his work table and repair his sunscreen porch in the back of the house. in his later years, I feel it’s the least I can do for a man who has taught me so much.

I would also give him the fuego to replace his older, failing saw.
    Allan

4. Richard Kelley says:

If I had the new Fuego, I would start by building shelves in my garage to reduce and organize all the accumulation onto the shelves. You see, my wife wants to get her car into the garage for the winter and this would make it happen. Can you imagine the points this would give an old man?

Secondly, I could then build a workbench in the garage and organize my other tools, giving some of my ancient tools to my sons. I have saved a lot of projects for retirement, and this would enable me to help some other people who cannot afford to hire someone to do such jobs.

Thanks for considering my wish for the Fuego!

5. Eric says:

If the goal of doing lanudry is to get clean clothes, then why should I be putting up with a laundry room that has mold and mildew growing on the walls, has no tiles on the floor and smells like an outhouse?

I live in a rental house built in 1925 that has not been cared for completely. The basement scares me, a lot. There has been some water damage, leaving the tiles in shambles. i.e. non existant. The plaster walls are falling apart and there is mold and mildew growing all over.

I talked to my landlord and decided that I am going to revamp the laundry room and give it a little lovin. This means putting up some walls and new flooring, which is where the Fuego would be swell.

This laundry room renovation will be just the first in what I hope will become a long list of renovations I complete in my lifetime, using Rigid tools.

I also think my 6 roomates will be very appreciative of me doing this for us.

6. Kelvin says:

My project is to remodel the back room of my house. It was a poorly designed and added to the house in the 70’s. It is complete with fake wood paneling, plastic tiles, textured ceiling, and ugly carpeting. The main problem is that the stairs run right down the middle of the room. This made the room pretty much useless. I’m am going to move the stairs to one side of the room and divide the room into an office and a bedroom.

I orginally wasn’t planning on posting, since I already have a fine circular saw. That is until today. I accidentally dropped it down a set of stairs. After a series of horrible crunches, I was afraid to go see what the damage was. The drop had cracked the housing, broken the blade guard and pushed it into the blade, bending the blade. The motor still turns but it makes a bad grinding sound now. My project will have to be on hold until I get a new saw.

Thanks for the consideration and a great site. Have a good holiday.

7. Lee says:

We need to add new siding and insulation to our cold and drafty Maine house (formally a 3 season camp) and turn it into a toasty warm, rustic barn style home.

We’d like to start the project now (although it’s the middle of winter) with the goal of beating Jack Frost to the water pipes. The missus and me will be doing all the work ourselves and we need a great saw she can handle. At 8 pounds, the Fuego would be perfect! We looked at it the other day at Home Depot and drooled over it, but being Christmas and all, presents for the kids come first (so no toys for us).

Our design is to match the interior 4×4 post and beam frame by removing old faded vinyl siding and replacing it with locally sawn rough-cut shiplap pine. As we move around the house we’d be trimming out all the doors and windows in hand made pine planking so it matches many of the existing Maine countryside structures.

From there the project moves inside where we’d 1) remove all the drywall, 2) install more shiplap pine for the interior walls, 3) add another bedroom, 4) add a nice new loft area with wide pine flooring and 5) finalize it all with a pine sided mudroom.

Next, in the spring, we’d add a wrap around porch for the front and the side mudroom that will be capped off with green metal roofing.

Finally, next summer we dream of giving it a coat of barn red semi-transparent stain so the pine grain shows through and doing the trim boards with solid white stain. We expect it to look beautiful and be fully compliant with the unwritten New England barn style code!

So having a nice, light-weight powerful Ridgid framing saw will certainly ease the job of getting the pine siding and trim up, plus help save us from carpenter’s elbow.

Merry Christmas, and good tidings on all of your projects!

8. Brad Huffman says:

Just finished wrapping up the last of the presents for the wife and kids. Emptying the digital camera of pics for the morning.

I’ve got a few winter projects to put to good use that would put the Fuego to good use, but the priority (post-holiday) will be putting on a new roof. My roof was damaged during Hurricane Katrina, and due to an oversight on my part, we were without windstorm coverage at that time (wind coverage is usually not included in home owners policies in this area – first time home buyers mistake). We’ve managed to save the majority of the money for materials. My dad and I will be doing the job along with help from other family and friends. The plan was to wait till the spring (dad and I had patched the puncture wounds up pretty well), but due to some recent rain and leaking, we’ve been left with some unsightly water spots on the ceiling in the living room.

The patches have held pretty well over the last year, but I’m not willing to tempt fate any longer.

Dad has pretty much all of the tools covered, and I have gone a little nuts lately building up my collection, but I am missing a framing saw. Thanks for your consideration, and have a Merry Christmas / happy holidays!

9. Ryan says:

While thinking about the prospect of winning a Fuego, I realized that I have written in with two stories about very specific, and planned out projects I have in mind. To be honest, two well planned and thought out projects is pretty good for me — my mind is often in ADD land thinking about a million different home improvement things all at once. Some of those projects involve drywall, some require painting, and some require a MIG welder. But, back to the Fuego. I thought rather than recite my two immediate uses for the Fuego (Fence and Shed), I would paint a picture of the type of (ab)uses I expect it will endure based on my past experiences with borrowed circular saws.

When it comes to fixing, and building, I’m a typical Do-It-Yourselfer. I like to try and tackle any job I can. I work with the perspective that I will come out either having completed something great, or just having learned a valuable lesson in humility. In the midst of remodeling a bathroom for instance, I decided to replace a single pane window with a new double pane. I installed a masonry blade on the circular saw and got to work on the outside stucco. If you have ever done it before, you know what brilliant fun it is to create a soup-thick dust storm of pulverized stucco by ripping through the walls with a circular saw.. AWESOME! Chicken-wire, stucco, wood — little else is as satisfying to cut through all in one pass; It is truly a manly and gritty job.

During the same bathroom remodel, I had to replace a rotten sub-floor. The planks were thick, and partially soggy with a nastiness that I’d rather pretend immaculately vanishes into antimatter after each gentle flush of the toilet handle. Fortunately though, circular saws aren’t nearly as discriminating about the items they are about to rip through. With a pull of the trigger, I was on my way to replacing the mucky mess with new pressure treated planks.

These aren’t pretty jobs, and I expect other jobs I tackle in the future wont be pretty either. The Fuego is a very nice looking saw — I know, I saw it in person — but I think its exactly the kind of saw that isn’t afraid of getting the job done, even if it means getting a little dirty.

– Ryan