post-fuegoheader.jpg

Today we’re proud to annouce our “Day 21” winner in the 25 Days of Fuego give away: BJ CLark.

BJ’s project: “I’m a college student (1 more semester left) and I just bought a house with my girlfriend. We are both Artists (potters) and I need to remodel the little detached garage on our property into our studio. It’s basically a shack of unevely spaced 2″x4″s on a cinder block foundation all held together with the biggest nails you’ve ever seen. To say the thing needs a little TLC is like calling Mt. Everest a hill.

(Un)Luckily for me, when I moved in my dad said “Here is a box of old tools you can use” which included a circa 1960’s Sears Craftsman circular saw. It still works (kind of) but just barely makes it through a 2″x4″ and sometimes needs to be backed out and let it spun back up to speed. Last weekend I spent ripping a shed off the back of the garage that was not suitable to even keep a lawnmower in anymore and covering the then exposed boards (it’s pre-plywood) with some plywood I had laying around. The saw barely made it through the 1/8″ plywood, and I’m not sure it will make it through much more.

If I had a decent saw, I could actually cut all the trim I need to finish the shop out and make some heavy duty shelves for our chemicals (we’re talking a couple tons of clay and chemicals). I’ve got most of the materials on hand already, I’m just a tad sort on tools (I can find materials around here for free, but it’s hard to find “leftover” tools).”

Congrats, BJ, thats the spirt, a whole house that needs TLC and you choose to start on the shop/studio. Thats the kind of thinking that will require tools, your Fuego is on the way!

If you didn’t win — try again today by posting your winter project (that makes use of the Fuego) as a comment on this post for another chance to win.  (And remember, though you can only win once, you can post projects as often as you’d like.  So, if yours wasn’t selected, don’t be afraid to give us a new take on it — or maybe link in a picture!)

Contest Details [Toolmonger/RIDGID]

P.S. For another chance to win post your winter project on the day 22 winner.

10 Responses to 25 Days of Fuego: Day 21 Winner — Another Chance to Win

1. Brian C. says:

Congratulation to BJ!

My previous projects listed are building a play-structure for my 3 & 4 year old children and rebuilding my father-in-law’s desk and porch.

Another project that could really use a new Fuego is a series of backyard planters for my wife. She has been wanting to garden for years and has tried various ‘bins’ and such. She recently found some wonderful designs for some custom gardening / flower beds that she would love to have surrounding our back patio and front walk. To help with all of this, I would be building her a composting bin as well to provide high-nutrient soil for those growing vegetables!

Thanks again!
    ~Brian C.

2. Allan says:

Hello – my father has always been an inspiration to me in using tools and being a handyman. he was always fixing things while I was growing up. now that he’s older I need to do the same for him since he is no longer able to stand up in the garage for long periods of time running tools.

If i won the Fuego I would help him rebuild his work table and repair his sunscreen porch in the back of the house. in his later years, I feel it’s the least I can do for a man who has taught me so much.

I would also give him the fuego to replace his older, failing saw.
    Allan

3. Mark says:

Between not wanting to scrape frost off my car in the dim Ohio morning light and our 3 year old’s collection of tools and toys … ok, and my tools/toys too, my garage shop is no longer functional. (See the image in the link associated with my name.) Thus, my next _big_ project will be a 13′ x 17′ addition to the garage. The plans have lots of natural lighting and a large overhang/”patio” for the BBQ and a picnic table. Above all, this space will be fully insulated and will be heated with an external wood-fired oven … a place to work and play, toasty warm, and makes good food too! The idea with the wood-fired oven is to build it into the back corner of the addition so that it heats the work space through conduction. The link associated with my name above has two URLs that give some idea of what it could look like. A Fuego would of course be quite valuable for this mega project.

4. ambush27 says:

ok, I’ve given up on trying to think of a winter project, there’s simply too much snow up here to do anything outside. but I can list some summer projects I have planned. so here goes… well every year the deck needs a few more one by fours, my shed doesn,t have a roof cause it fell in a few years back and its questionable how long the only section of fence that hasn’t been replaced will last. as for a winter project I have been eyeing the shovercraft pictured on the make blog so I might do that and next winter theres a fairly good chance that I will get around to framing the basement, if nothing breaks.

5. deckhand says:

owning a summer home is great BUT with it comes extra maintenance. My summer retreat has a neat floating dock but it’s tired and listing badly.

Over the winter I plan to build a new one on the ice. Why on the ice? Nice flat surface and when the ice melts, the dock settles into the water and it’s re-attached to the crib on shore.

I plan to make the frame out of 2″x12″ Western red cedar with 5/4 PT deck boards for the top. The ramp leading from shore will be 8′ wide by 12′ long and the dock itself will be 10’x16’sitting on 6 2’x 4′ floats. This gives me a water depth of 10′ at the end of the dock.

There are numerous cuts to be made and the lightweight Fuego would be highly useful.

The old dock lasted 15 years so I’m hoping this one will last at least as long.

6. Brian says:

Both my parents are avid bibliophiles, but their little house is starting to get overrun with books as they are running out of shelves. My father is a carpenter and though he could make his own shelves he seems too busy spoiling his grandchildren.

I’ve been wanting to make a set of oak bookshelves for my parent to show my father that I was learning something while I was watching him over the years and because my mom always appreciated her childrens’ homemade gifts. I imagine the Fuego would do a clean job cutting through oak plywood and it would be much more convenient than a table saw in my little basement shop.

7. Richard Dimartino says:

I am a carpenter just ending my first year self employed. It was not easy. My first child, Kiera, was born five and a half weeks ago. I love her, but she has destroyed my tool budget. My winter project is to add a full bath to the basement of my house and renovate the existing bath. Our house currently has only one bath. The existing bathroom is a disaster. There is mold and mildew, broken floor tile, holes in the walls, a severly stained tub, and mish mosh paint. A complete renovation is necessary but I must wait until we have another bathroom. The new bathroom will do so many positive things for the family. My plan is to create a full bath and washroom with built in shelving and a cubby for the stacked washer and dryer. I would use the new saw to frame a wet wall, soffets and rework the existing structure to accomodate the plan. Besides that, the new saw would inevitably find its way to the jobsite to be oohed and aahed by the others. The saw I have now is a Milwaukee about 15 years old. It is the one with the front end height adjustment and weighs in around 26 lbs. It was a hand me down and it worked up until last week. I let a friend borrow it and it came back broken. Buying a new saw would be equal to skipping groceries this week. Unfortunately for my tool collection, priorities will not allow this purchase for the forseable future.

Project aside, I am a 28 year old carpenter with degenerative joint disease in my strong arm. Any tool that weighs in lighter, goes faster and works with less effort is most desirable. The Fuego seems to be a no nonsense tool. It would be a great tool to own.

8. Ryan R. says:

While thinking about the prospect of winning a Fuego, I realized today that I have written in with two stories about very specific, and planned out projects I have in mind. To be honest, two well planned and thought out projects is pretty good for me — my mind is often in ADD land thinking about a million different home improvement things all at once. Some of those projects involve drywall, some require painting, and some require a MIG welder. But, back to the Fuego. I thought rather than recite my two immediate uses for the Fuego (Fence and Shed), I would paint a picture of the type of (ab)uses I expect it will endure based on my past experiences with borrowed circular saws.

When it comes to fixing, and building, I’m a typical Do-It-Yourselfer. I like to try and tackle any job I can. I work with the perspective that I will come out either having completed something great, or just having learned a valuable lesson in humility. In the midst of remodeling a bathroom for instance, I decided to replace a single pane window with a new double pane. I installed a masonry blade on the circular saw and got to work on the outside stucco. If you have ever done it before, you know what brilliant fun it is to create a soup-thick dust storm of pulverized stucco by ripping through the walls with a circular saw.. AWESOME! Chicken-wire, stucco, wood — little else is as satisfying to cut through all in one pass; It is truly a manly and gritty job.

During the same bathroom remodel, I had to replace a rotten sub-floor. The planks were thick, and partially soggy with a nastiness that I’d rather pretend immaculately vanishes into antimatter after each gentle flush of the toilet handle. Fortunately though, circular saws aren’t nearly as discriminating about the items they are about to rip through. With a pull of the trigger, I was on my way to replacing the mucky mess with new pressure treated planks.

These aren’t pretty jobs, and I expect other jobs I tackle in the future wont be pretty either. The Fuego is a very nice looking saw — I know, I saw it in person — but I think its exactly the kind of saw that isn’t afraid of getting the job done, even if it means getting a little dirty.

– Ryan

9. Ryan R. says:

Agh! double post — I apologize, but I wanted to point out that I added a picture of the window I put in. It’s linked to my name. Thanks 🙂

10. Stephen Heil says:

I’ve always wanted to build a small boat. I plan to dive in an start with something small. If I won this great Ridgid Fuego saw that would be a great way to kick-start the project. Thanks!
    — Steve