post-toque.jpg

As I was reading the news this morning, I came across this bit in the Brockville Recorder & Times regarding $2,000 worth of hand tools stolen from a Brockville, Ontario Home Depot.  About halfway through I came across the sentence, “The second male has a slender build and was wearing a toque.”

“What the hell is a toque?” I wondered, imagining some kind of ceremonial headdress.  A quick bit of Google-education later, I realized that this bit of haberdashery is actually what we Southerners in the ‘States call a “sock hat” — and it’s something that’s worth mentioning this time of year.

Seriously, these hats are the best way to keep your ears from freezing off when working outside.  Even if it’s not that cold outside, it can get bad if you’re going to be out for more than an hour or so.

You can get these with all sorts of pithy sayings on them, but regardless of what you find, you should pick one up — and wear it.

Unless, of course, you’re in Brockville and you drive an “older model van, the colour of which is similar to gray primer paint,” in which case you should ditch yours ASAP.

Street Pricing [Froogle]

Update: I’m assured by my grew-up-in-upstate-NY girlfriend (who thought I was a dolt for not already knowing what a toque was) that this is pronounced “took” — as in “those hosers took the tools without paying, A.”

10 Responses to What’s a toque?

1. Nick Carter says:

To be a real hoser you have to have a pom-pom, just ask Bob & Doug Mackenzie.

Accessorize with peameal bacon and a stubby brown bottle of beer.

2. Myself says:

I picked up a blaze orange version last year, both for warmth and to serve as an IFF beacon of sorts while visiting cellular tower sites out in the sticks. It’s also a good idea while changing tires or anything else at roadside; pick up a $7 orange cap and a $4 orange plastic vest and keep ’em near your spare tire.

3. Rick says:

Speaking of the orange plastic vest. In Europe, at least in Spain, but possibly all of Europe… you are required to have a vest if you are outside of your vehicle next to a disabled vehicle for any reason. If you don’t you get stuck with a healthy fine. Now everyone MUST have at least one in their cars at all times.
    Even the rentals come with them now.

I think it’s a good idea, if a bit heavy handed to make it law. Let Darwinian thinning of the herd run its course I say.

4. Jerry says:

It’s nice to see our southern neighbors doing a little research on what we Canadians call toque’s and yes most people leave off the pom-pom on the top. Then again we do get the odd strange person up here. Next you’ll be asking what a Beavertail is. See http://www.beavertailsinc.com/

Jerry
    Toronto, Ontario

5. My favourite Finnish word is their one for this type of hat:

“Pipo”.

(Pronounced “pee-poh”. Try to sound as little like a children’s television presenter as you can when you say it. It’s not easy, though.)

6. James says:

If you’re Canadian and you need a new toque (since it’s finally getting cold) consider http://www.raisingtheroof.org/ . You can buy them online or at any Home Depot in Canada.

7. Mike says:

Just to clarify…tuque is pronounced with an “ou” sound, as in the word you. An appropriate phonetic spelling could read “tou-k”. This acoutrement is often accompanied by the ever popular fleece “hoodie”. And it’s NOT called a “bunny hug” by anyone except them hosers in Alberta!!! Geez… where’s my 12 gauge!

Mike – Winnipeg, Manitoba

8. Robert says:

I think the origin of this work is from the French “Tuque”. Makses sense since they’re needed there more than anywhere else in Canada.
    There’s also a town named “La Tuque”, in Quebec.

9. Dr. Girlfriend says:

I grew up about an hour from Ontario (in New York) and my dad always called them toques.

Just to clarify, I *did* tell Chuck it was pronounced “tou-k” with the “you” sound, like Mike said. 🙂 Southerners.