post-fuegoheader.jpg

Today we’re proud to annouce our “Day 8” winner in the 25 Days of Fuego give away: Rick.

Rick’s project: “My winter project is to begin putting together a workbench / storage device of sorts for my garage. In addition to a work surface, I also want to put together some framing underneath where I can store my off-season wheels from my car. I currently have them stacked horizontally on top of each other, but I’d much prefer to have them lined up vertically underneath. I came up with a 2 x 4 cleat that will keep the tires from rolling out. I also want to do a shelf unit on one side where I can roll my little Harbor Freight tool chest and Roller seat under when I’m not using them, and use the shelves above for various car parts, etc.”

Congrats, Rick, the massive undertaking of organizing the shop is always high on any DIYer’s list. Be sure to send us pictures of how it turns out!

If you didn’t win — try again today by posting your winter project (that makes use of the Fuego) as a comment on this post for another chance to win.  (And remember, though you can only win once, you can post projects as often as you’d like.  So, if yours wasn’t selected, don’t be afraid to give us a new take on it — or maybe link in a picture!)

Contest Details [Toolmonger/RIDGID]

P.S. For another chance to win, comment with your winter project on the Day 9 winner post!

8 Responses to 25 Days of Fuego: Day 8 Winner — Another Chance to Win

1. Mark says:

Between not wanting to scrape frost off my car in the dim Ohio morning light and our 3 year old’s collection of tools and toys, my garage shop is no longer functional. Thus, my next big project needs to start as soon as the permits are granted. It will be a 13′ x 17′ addition to the garage. There will be lots of natural lighting and a large overhang/”patio” for the BBQ. Above all, this space will be fully insulated and will be heated with a external wood-fired oven built into the back wall … a place to work and play, toasty warm, and good food! As you can see from the link below, I already have one helper and shop companion lined up. A handy-dandy Fuego would of course also be invaluable throughout the course of this project.

2. James says:

(Pictures of the described destruction and the workbench are available at http://www.funktronics.ca/photos/basement )

I bought my first house 2 years ago. My first purchase for it was a $130 18V 5 piece combo kit and I’ve been building up my tool collection ever since. Since it’s an old house, there’s quite a bit of work to be done. I’ve been using the (badly) finished basement as a workshop but there were a number of things that annoyed me.

The partition walls made it difficult to place tools and workstations conveniently and maneuver large workpieces. The carpet made it impossible to keep anything level. The in-ceiling lighting wasn’t bright enough, especially with the dark walls and carpet. Most of the electrical circuits were not grounded. It was a frustrating place to work in.

Despite that, I built a storage shelf and my first workbench. My plan is to use that workbench to build a few house projects and, eventually, a better workbench.

While building the workbench, the state of my workshop drove me nuts. So, over the past couple of weeks I’ve been tearing it apart so I could have a proper basement workshop. I’ve found that it was all worse than I thought. I found that the previous owner built the walls out of whatever wood was laying around and did a very bad job of the electrical. The strangest part was that he glued little wooden blocks to the foundation walls in a grid, then nailed 1/8″ plywood to the blocks. I’m sure that took him *way* longer than if he did it right.

After removing the carpet and placing my new workbench on the newly flat floor, I found that it wobbles. Let that be a lesson to my fellow newbies: never build anything on carpet.

The only circular saw I have is from my cheap 18V combo kit. It performs ok with 1-by lumber but it often has trouble with 2-by. This is problematic since one of the next steps of this project is to properly frame my exterior basement walls. A real framing saw will come in very handy.

I promise to post pictures during and after the construction. 🙂

3. Still waiting for suitable weather here in central Iowa to do my winter project. This one is out in the open: my roof leaks. I need to remove some soft sheathing and create a new hole for the bathroom fan to vent to the outside. From there it’s a typical strip and reshingle. The only tools I have for this job are a drill and an old 1/4 horse craftsman saber saw. It’s going to be a long and cold job, but the Fuego would make an easier time of it.

4. Calvin Claxton says:

Hi, with the fuego I would use it to cut rafters and make openings and doors for a peacock aviary I have been working on. It should come in real handy. Calvin

5. Michael Buhrley says:

Tried sending this project the day the comments were broken…

My wife and I try to make the Christmas presents we give to our kids and my brothers in our family gift exchange. Last year we built this train, one for our son and one for my brother’s family. Well it was such a big hit that we got requests for trains from my other two brothers. So this Christmas we are building two more trains. The train cars are big enough that kids can sit on top (with feet on the small cars) or load them up with stuffed animals and other toys. The tank car is hinged to open as are the doors on the box car.
    I think I will design a caboose too this year.

Pictures of the train are available at:

The Fuego saw would be great for cutting down the long boards that make the tops and bottoms. This year I’ll take more pictures of the construction and possibly post our cut list to make it easier for others to build if there is interest.

Thanks,

6. Chris Slingluff says:

So, in my shed/workshop, my wife has a garden table. Unfortunately it is an old kitchen table, an oval table that does not make good use of the precious space. Now I guess my project could be just using the Fuego to square off the table 🙂 but that is not my goal for such a beautiful saw. I intend to build a replacement garden table for her. Along with this table I will need to construct some shelves for her to store pots, potting soil, tools, etc. Please grant me with such a wonderful sounding, framing saw so that I may complete this winter project, reclaim space in my workshop and move onto something undoubtedly more spectacular for myself. 🙂

7. Joel S. says:

I’ve been wanting to make a quick access gun safe disguised as a regular night stand. I would make a regular nightstand that with an RFID locking mechanism that would keep kids and thieives from accessing the gun but allows instant access in case it is ever needed. My current setup has a black steel safe on top of my night stand that my wife thinks looks ugly. Having the safe integrated into the night stand would appease my wife’s aesthetic taste as well as make the safe harder to spot and steal.

8. Gene D. says:

I now have 3 Winter projects that the Fuego would help me complete:

First, right before Thanksgiving, I built and installed a rather simple countertop-height island in our kitchen for my wife using a recycled hardwood tabletop. The next phase in the project involves building a partially-enclosed storage area to go underneath the island that will contain both shelves and sliding baskets. I currently only have a table saw, so the Fuego would be perfect for doing the cutting for this phase of the project. Funds are especially tight this time of year, and the gift of the Fuego would help make this a winter project a reality, instead of one that I have to put off until next spring.

Second is replacing some rotted siding on our house that I discovered last weekend. Currently in need of a circular saw, I believe that the Fuego would be the perfect tool for cutting out the old siding. I will be working on a ladder, so a small and light tool would be ideal.

Third, my sons each have simple single beds that I want to convert into bunk beds. This would involve cutting some off the headboard of both beds so they will fit together nicely in an L. Then I need to build an extra footboard section to attach to the existing footboard of the top bunk for it to reach the ground. I also have to build a ladder for access to the top bunk.