post-fuegoheader.jpg

Today we’re proud to annouce our “Day 7” winner in the 25 Days of Fuego give away: Fong.

Fong’s project: “Ever since I saw Return of the Jedi, I’ve always wanted a tree house village connected with rope bridges. 20 years and 2 engineering degrees later, I’m ready to tackle the project. I’d start with one basic tree house, then add on additional ones for each child. If my baby factory cooperates, in 5 years, I should have 4 treehouses connected with rope bridges. An Ewok village filled with little Ewoks. Halloween will never be the same again.  ”

Congrats, Fong, we must confess to a weakness for Wookies and Ewoks ourselves. We must also say that no Ewok village would be complete without a rope that young Ewoks could swing from house to house on.

If you didn’t win — try again today by posting your winter project (that makes use of the Fuego) as a comment on this post for another chance to win.  (And remember, though you can only win once, you can post projects as often as you’d like.  So, if yours wasn’t selected, don’t be afraid to give us a new take on it — or maybe link in a picture!)

Contest Details [Toolmonger/RIDGID]

P.S. For another chance to win, comment with your winter project on the Day 8 winner post!

15 Responses to 25 Days of Fuego: Day 7 Winner — Another Chance to Win

1. Jake Strait says:

One thing I’m sorely lacking, other than a circular saw, is a good workbench. MAKE did one some time ago for their weekend projects. I’ll probably beef it up for mounting the vise I have that is sorely lacking a table. Then I can start beating the crap out of some stuff that won’t come apart with gusto.

2. Quentin says:

I really want to complete my shop so that I can start producing (or rather learn how to produce) furniture for my wife.

I always feel guilty when we buy a little side table, serving tray or corner hutch. Whenever we’re in the store and she sees a table she likes, I always say “I can build that” and then I never do. It’s gotten so bad now that we refer to “I can build that” as the phrase that shall not be spoken!

So what my shop really needs is a good workbench. A Ridgid Fuego would really help me finally finish that off so I can start building what I promised my wife:
    – a headboard
    – a side table
    – a shoe rack
    – a jewelery box
    – a serving tray
    – an armoire
    – shelves in the basement
    – and I’m sure there are about 10 more projects that I have forgotten about 🙂

3. James says:

(Pictures of the described destruction and the workbench are available at http://www.funktronics.ca/photos/basement )

I bought my first house 2 years ago. My first purchase for it was a $130 18V 5 piece combo kit and I’ve been building up my tool collection ever since. Since it’s an old house, there’s quite a bit of work to be done. I’ve been using the (badly) finished basement as a workshop but there were a number of things that annoyed me.

The partition walls made it difficult to place tools and workstations conveniently and maneuver large workpieces. The carpet made it impossible to keep anything level. The in-ceiling lighting wasn’t bright enough, especially with the dark walls and carpet. Most of the electrical circuits were not grounded. It was a frustrating place to work in.

Despite that, I built a storage shelf and my first workbench. My plan is to use that workbench to build a few house projects and, eventually, a better workbench.

While building the workbench, the state of my workshop drove me nuts. So, over the past couple of weeks I’ve been tearing it apart so I could have a proper basement workshop. I’ve found that it was all worse than I thought. I found that the previous owner built the walls out of whatever wood was laying around and did a very bad job of the electrical. The strangest part was that he glued little wooden blocks to the foundation walls in a grid, then nailed 1/8″ plywood to the blocks. I’m sure that took him *way* longer than if he did it right.

After removing the carpet and placing my new workbench on the newly flat floor, I found that it wobbles. Let that be a lesson to my fellow newbies: never build anything on carpet.

The only circular saw I have is from my cheap 18V combo kit. It performs ok with 1-by lumber but it often has trouble with 2-by. This is problematic since one of the next steps of this project is to properly frame my exterior basement walls. A real framing saw will come in very handy.

I promise to post pictures during and after the construction. 🙂

4. Eric says:

The shop where I do all my “dirty” projects is a drafty old detached one car garage behind my house. The roof leaks in all the wrong place (is there a right one?) right on to my chop saw. I want to rebuild the whole thing, only larger, with extra features like a stationary compressor lots and lots of outlets. My current circular saw (a 1970’s vintage Craftsman I inherited from my grandfather has seen better days). A dandy new circular saw would be fantastic for starting anew.

5. Gene D. says:

Right before Thanksgiving, I built and installed a rather simple countertop-height island in our kitchen for my wife using a recycled hardwood tabletop. The next phase in the project involves building a partially-enclosed storage area to go underneath the island that will contain both shelves and sliding baskets. I currently only have a table saw, so the Fuego would be perfect for doing the cutting for this phase of the project. Funds are especially tight this time of year, and the gift of the Fuego would help make this a winter project a reality, instead of one that I have to put off until next spring.

Another winter project that I have is replacing some rotted siding on our house that I discovered last weekend. Currently in need of a circular saw, I believe that the Fuego would be the perfect tool for cutting out the old siding. I will be working on a ladder, so a small and light tool would be ideal.

6. MikeCou says:

I have dreamed of winning the power tool races. Ever since I was a little boy, I have watched in excitement as decked out circular saws and drills made their way onto the racing lanes. The excitement in the air was breathtaking as the lights on the post changed color. I could feel the electricity in the air. Green!!!! ZOOOOMMMM!!!!! POWER!!!!

Although I have aspired to win these grand races, I have never had the funds necessary to compete without sacrificing my livelyhood. I need my circular saw. I have to have it. With the addition of this Rigid Fuego to my meager collection of power tools, I will be able to make my dream a reality. My existing Craftsman circular saw will go through the necessary modifications to build my very own power tool racer, while the Fuego will accompany me on my daily woodworking tasks. What better way to spend the cold winter months than building a hot-rod of a machine to race, and still be able to use a hot-rod circular saw on projects.

7. Rick says:

Well, I finally got around to listening to the Dec 1 podcast, a large part of which was discussion of this saw and conversations with a rep from the manufacturer. That said, now I really want one of these saws. I think what really gets me is the light weight, and the balance. One of my biggest issues with most saws like this is they’re either too weak to get the job done, OR they are powerful enough, but they weigh a ton. Also, it’s not just the total weight where it’s hard to pick up and use with one hand, but also the fact that they are super unbalanced. They’re either front, left, or right-heavy. My father has an ancient Craftsman that’s probably as old as I am, and the motor sticking out to the right will rip your wrist apart if you try to stretch out with one hand to rip a piece of plywood. That said, my father-in-law has a decidedly more recent Skil saw that will do the same thing.

The idea of working on my winter project with this saw has really got me going. For reference from previous posts:
    ———————-
    My winter project is to begin putting together a workbench / storage device of sorts for my garage. I’m still in the design stage, and have yet to determine what the work surface will be, I’m exploring getting one of those ready made Formica topped counters that come in various lengths at your local Lowe Depot. Also exploring if it would be feasible for me to bend some sort of stainless steel sheets to cover the work surface – with prob plywood beneath.
    In addition to a work surface, I also want to put together some framing underneath where I can store my off-season wheels from my car. I currently have them stacked horizontally on top of each other, but I’d much prefer to have them lined up vertically underneath. I came up with a 2 x 4 cleat that will keep the tires from rolling out.

I also want to do a shelf unit on one side where I can roll my little Harbor Freight tool chest and Roller seat under when I’m not using them, and use the shelves above for various car parts, etc.

———————-
    Beyond this winter project though, I can see a use for this saw for a bunch of other projects. Namely:

– framing some interior walls for drywall or a wall system for the garage (it’s bare concrete block at the moment)
    – Shelf units for seasonal storage in the garage (read: Holiday stuff)
    – Chaise lounge for the living room. This is going to be my first foray into furniture building and I’ve been laying out plans in my head for about 4 years now. I imagine it’ll be at least another year or so before I get around to starting on it…

Not to mention I could let my father-in-law borrow it.. He’s a contractor and he and my brother-in-law do a lot of roofing. I could totally see him buy like 6 of these two have two with each of his roofing crews. That said, he’d have to give it back.. 🙂

8. Thomas says:

Since I live in an apartment but have some pretty grand plans for shelving, work-tables/benches, and all sorts of storage, I’ve been thinking about how to solve the problem of not having an adequate workspace for building these things. Based on some old ideas and a few similar setups I’ve found on the web, I’ve decided to build a portable workspace that will be a combination of folding worksurface and tool storage. My idea is to have something that is small enough to put into the back of our hatchback or a small pickup/van (to be purchased in the near future) and that I can set up in a friends driveway or any convenient location to build out the pieces that I need. My idea is to essentially build a small portable system which will bootstrap my larger plans of world (well the DIY world, anyway) domination!

9. Mike S. says:

Just started the demolition today for a full “to the studs” remodel of our kitchen. My wife is less than thrilled with the timing as we will be without a kitchen through the holidays, but that was the only time we could schedule some of the trades.

Obviously a new circular saw would be great for all kinds of jobs with this project, but one of the more unusual ones will be to cut a trapdoor into the floor. It seems the contractor who built the house put an access from our furnace room to the crawl space under the kitchen and then filled up most of the access with heating ducts! I’m pretty skinny so I can squeeze through the 9″ high opening, but I’m betting most of the tradesmen won’t make it!

10. Brad Huffman says:

Hate to do this, but posted a reply earlier and it’s not showing up. I may just be a moron, but here goes a test post to find out.

11. Joel S. says:

I’ve been wanting to make a quick access gun safe disguised as a regular night stand. I would make a regular nightstand that with an RFID locking mechanism that would keep kids and thieives from accessing the gun but allows instant access in case it is ever needed. My current setup has a black steel safe on top of my night stand that my wife thinks looks ugly. Having the safe integrated into the night stand would appease my wife’s aesthetic taste as well as make the safe harder to spot and steal.

12. Still waiting for suitable weather here in central Iowa to do my winter project. This one is out in the open: my roof leaks. I need to remove some soft sheathing and create a new hole for the bathroom fan to vent to the outside. From there it’s a typical strip and reshingle. The only tools I have for this job are a drill and an old 1/4 horse craftsman saber saw. It’s going to be a long and cold job, but the Fuego would make an easier time of it.

You don’t really want to see a picture of gray puckered shingles, do you?

13. Will E. says:

Due in full to my habit of collecting hobbies with extensive equipment requirements, my wife is complaining that our house is starting to get a bit stuffed. It’s a Depression-era house with small closets and there’s severe lack of storage space inside, however the garage is already cramped and too cluttered with tools, bikes, and my electronics workbench, but I could better maximize the space with good, custom shelving.

Since my ten year old, pawn shop purchased circular saw finally seized up, with a shiny new Ridgid Fuego I could make my shelving dreams become reality. After I successfully reorganize the garage and free up space, I could solve the issue of the overstuffed house and my wife’s nagging. Once she and the kids are out in the garage, there’ll be PLENTY of room in the house.

14. Gabe Johnson says:

I have just started getting into woodworking. Currently I live in an apartment so I don’t have any of my own tools but I have a co-worker with a garage and tools that he has been kind enough to let me use. I am currently working on a bedroom set for my new wife and I. I have 5 drawers of the first dresser completed. The dresser is going to be made out of solid oak. The plans I am using can be found here:http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/woodworking/1273346.html but I have made some of my own modifications. I changed the wood type from mohogony to oak because mohogony was too expensive. I added room to put rails on the drawers and made 5 drawers all the same size.

I am a software engineer with a strong background in digital electronics so I am planning on making all of our furniture motorized. My furniture won’t have any knobs, instead there will be a inductive sensor behind the drawer face and will detect when a person touches the lower left hand corner of the drawer. It will then automatically open. I plan on having sensors to detect if the drawer is open, closed, or if a person piled clothes to0 high in which case the drawer will open back up until you take some out.

I will be moving into my first home so I would like to begin building up my shop and a circular saw would be a great start. The last two things I would need is a work bench, which I would build with the saw, and a router. Then I could finish my bedroom furniture in my own shop 🙂

15. Brian says:

I’ve always wanted to create the ultimate coffee table. I consider the living room to be the command center of my house while the couch/coffee table combine to form the cockpit if you will. Some of the features will include:
    An embedded 15in lcd monitor and mini computer for home automation control, web browsing, and missile launches;
    Drawer for remotes and other laser guided systems;
    Retractable foot rest/messager for after the MIG’s have bugged out;
    Landing gear for easy manueverability when space is needed for a session of Guitar Hero. (I have to make one of those guitars, those are great!)