post-fuegoheader.jpg

Today we’re proud to annouce our “Day 6” winner in the 25 Days of Fuego give away: Patrick.

Patrick’s project: “I want to build a hidden door for my son’s bedroom or closet. You would have to pull a book to open the door. And if that goes well I’ll make one for our kitchen pantry. Depending on what the wife will let me do.”

Congrats, Patrick, we’ve wanted a secret batman door since we can remember; we’re going to be incredibly disappointed if you don’t send pictures of it.

If you didn’t win — try again today by posting your winter project (that makes use of the Fuego) as a comment on this post for another chance to win.  (And remember, though you can only win once, you can post projects as often as you’d like.  So, if yours wasn’t selected, don’t be afraid to give us a new take on it — or maybe link in a picture!)

Contest Details [Toolmonger/RIDGID]

P.S. For another chance to win, comment with your winter project on the Day 7 winner post!

10 Responses to 25 Days of Fuego: Day 6 Winner — Another Chance to Win

1. I’ve got a deck that still needs the decking trimmed to length. I want to make a treasure box for my 5 year old. But the big project, weather permitting is a new roof for my small house.

I just discovered the problem this past weekend when it rained — and leaked into my bathroom. I found a patch of sheathing that is soft and needs to be replaced. Yuck. Not the job to do in frozen Iowa, but the Fuego looks like the right tool for the job. I’ll slice out the rotten wood. Sister up some extra framing. Then cut a patch of sheathing to fit.

When that’s complete, I can make the workbench I’ve been wanting. I’ve saved an old steel door to use as stiffening for the top. I think I’ll still put a layer of plywood on top of that.

2. SpaceMonkeyX says:

I could use the Fuego quite a bit this winter on a few projects I have lined up.

First, I’m rebuilding our built-in entertainment center, replacing the old drywall one with nice solid wood, complete with adjustable shelves and space for a widescreen TV.

Secondly, my wife wants some new furniture, so I’m going to build a new couch, chaise lounge, and love seat for her using 1950’s woodworking plans that I picked up at a thrift store. The whole thing is going to be made out of plywood with her expert sewing skills being used on the cushions.

All of these projects would be much easier with a Fuego on-hand rather than the old jigsaw I’ve been using up til now.

3. deckhand says:

the lightweight Fuego appears to be the perfect saw for trimming the surplus tops off 4×4 and 6×6 fence posts. If you’ve ever held a 12 pound circular saw overhead while trimming 50-100 posts.you’ll know what I mean. I plan to leave my heavyweight saws at home and make the Ridgid Fuego my number one saw.

4. Gene D says:

Right before Thanksgiving, I build and installed a rather simple countertop-height island in our kitchen for my wife using a recycled hardwood tabletop. The next phase in the project involves building a partially-enclosed storage area to go underneath the island that will contain both shelves and sliding baskets. I currently only have a table saw, so the Fuego would be perfect for cutting the plywood for this phase of the project. Funds are especially tight this time of year, and the gift of the Fuego would help make this a Merry Christmas for my wife, who would be getting her completed island much earlier than she expected.

5. Marc says:

I am replacing all of my kitchen cabinets with custom made cabinets. I will be making the cabinets out of 3/4 oak veneered plywood. I have a 9 x 15 ft kitchen and my wife has about 25 x 30 ft of crap to fill it with. In order to accommodate all of her stuff (crap), there will be cabinets on every wall, floor to ceiling. I would like to use the Fuego to see how precise the settings are and make the job a little easier on myself. A small saw like the Fuego should make it easier for me to keep working. Thanks Toolmonger.

6. Fong says:

Ever since I saw Return of the Jedi, I’ve always wanted a tree house village connected with rope bridges. 20 years and 2 engineering degrees later, I’m ready to tackle the project. I’d start with one basic tree house, then add on additional ones for each child. If my baby factory cooperates, in 5 years, I should have 4 treehouses connected with rope bridges. An Ewok village filled with little Ewoks. Halloween will never be the same again. 😀

7. Jake Strait says:

We recently moved. We threw out the old, warping entertainment center. I just finished designing a new one as part of a college course. It should fit the space better than the current hobbled together setup.

8. Brent H. says:

Since I’ve moved into my house about 3 1/2 years ago, the front steps have needed a railing. Not only is it helpful, but it could save someone from breaking their head open–as I have been reminded after the ice and snow we received recently. Hopefully the Fuego can allow me to create a wood railing.

9. James says:

(Pictures of the described destruction and the workbench are available at http://www.funktronics.ca/photos/basement )

I bought my first house 2 years ago. My first purchase for it was a $130 18V 5 piece combo kit and I’ve been building up my tool collection ever since. Since it’s an old house, there’s quite a bit of work to be done. I’ve been using the (badly) finished basement as a workshop but there were a number of things that annoyed me.

The partition walls made it difficult to place tools and workstations conveniently and maneuver large workpieces. The carpet made it impossible to keep anything level. The in-ceiling lighting wasn’t bright enough, especially with the dark walls and carpet. Most of the electrical circuits were not grounded. It was a frustrating place to work in.

Despite that, I built a storage shelf and my first workbench. My plan is to use that workbench to build a few house projects and, eventually, a better workbench.

While building the workbench, the state of my workshop drove me nuts. So, over the past couple of weeks I’ve been tearing it apart so I could have a proper basement workshop. I’ve found that it was all worse than I thought. I found that the previous owner built the walls out of whatever wood was laying around and did a very bad job of the electrical. The strangest part was that he glued little wooden blocks to the foundation walls in a grid, then nailed 1/8″ plywood to the blocks. I’m sure that took him *way* longer than if he did it right.

After removing the carpet and placing my new workbench on the newly flat floor, I found that it wobbles. Let that be a lesson to my fellow newbies: never build anything on carpet.

The only circular saw I have is from my cheap 18V combo kit. It performs ok with 1-by lumber but it often has trouble with 2-by. This is problematic since one of the next steps of this project is to properly frame my exterior basement walls. A real framing saw will come in very handy.

I promise to post pictures during and after the construction. 🙂

10. Bowen says:

I’ve finally given up hope of finding a desk/work table that I like in my price range, so I’m going to build one.

This is going to be a low counter style table that runs around three entire walls of my spare bedroom. to provide space for my computer setup, a large general use area for paperwork and gaming materials, an area for a tv/dvd player and games console as well as a large craft and miniature painting table.

I’m planning on making my first try at proper cabinetry, as I’ve always wanted one of those towers of little drawers you used to find in pharmarcies, which would be ideal for all the bits for my wargaming painting supplies and modelling parts.

Right now I’ve got a cheap no-brand jigsaw that overheats and a B&D cordless drill/driver that under-performs, so the tools part is really what is keeping me from getting going on this as materials are in my budget, but a full set of decent power tools is not! All my good-ish stuff (Skil) are back with with my folks in the UK, a leaving present from me to them when I emigrated.